Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In japan it’s very common for one large room to have sliding panels with just enough room behind for a bed. That area is then air conditioned for sleeping. It’s effectively what you’re talking about here: a small AC unit so it can be eco friendly, and just enough to cool the bed for sleeping. I think it’s a fine idea. I don’t think you need to overdo it for sound proofing, for example. Just a cool place to sleep and if it is too loud, earplugs!

I like the idea that Indah wants to make it soundproof. I wear ear plugs more often than not. They don't keep out loud sounds, only muffle them.

@Indah you made me laugh about attitudes to weather on the Netherlands. In 2018 I left Tual, had a couple of days rest in Rotterdam and was told it was up to me to acclimatise lol...imagine if we did that to everyone coming to the tropics lol.

@Indah you made me laugh about attitudes to weather on the Netherlands. In 2018 I left Tual, had a couple of days rest in Rotterdam and was told it was up to me to acclimatise lol...imagine if we did that to everyone coming to the tropics lol.

It's easier to put on boots, wool socks, sweaters, scarfs, parkas, gloves and touques to stay warm than it is to try to get cool. I've tried to take off my skin, it doesn't work and it makes a real mess.

How many socks can you fit on over your fleece lined tights before you need a bigger size pair of sorrels?

I agree, people should thank their skin more often for keeping their sh1t together :wink:

How many socks can you fit on over your fleece lined tights before you need a bigger size pair of sorrels?

I agree, people should thank their skin more often for keeping their sh1t together :wink:

:p

Merino wool. One of the best tank tops that I've ever had was a tight knit merino wool from Aus. It never got hot unless the AC was too cold. I've been seeking more like it ever since it managed to get a hole in it.

Oops , sorry Indah. Let me get back on topic. Is there anyway that I could have the fireflies in my room but not the mosquitoes? I don't mind geckos or even the sound they make unless it's when I'm trying to sleep. After all, they eat bugs, so as long as they aren't eating the fireflies that I've ordered and aren't disturbing my REM, it's all good.

:p

Merino wool. One of the best tank tops that I've ever had was a tight knit merino wool from Aus. It never got hot unless the AC was too cold. I've been seeking more like it ever since it managed to get a hole in it.

I travel with Icebreaker merino tees. I don't wash it for a whole month and no one can sniff that info out. :) It is amazing how it doesn't smell - confirmed by my travel mates, even while sweating in the deserts or jungles! Should you need to wash them, they are easy to hand wash and dry so quickly. Smartwool makes some as well but I don't find them as good. Unfortunately, they are a bit expensive so I try to get them on sale. Like you, I love how they regulate temperature very well and are more breathable than synthetics, not to mention better for the environment, especially with each wash.

But Chilli...how much rainy winter in Haarlem gear can you fit in with your banda sea surface and gear aquatic while keeping to your one bag and a backpack ethos?....in all fairness I do believe I shouldve had more than three hours before being told "You must stop shivering and acclimatise" lol

I travel with Icebreaker merino tees. I don't wash it for a whole month and no one can sniff that info out. :) It is amazing how it doesn't smell - confirmed by my travel mates, even while sweating in the deserts or jungles! Should you need to wash them, they are easy to hand wash and dry so quickly. Smartwool makes some as well but I don't find them as good. Unfortunately, they are a bit expensive so I try to get them on sale. Like you, I love how they regulate temperature very well and are more breathable than synthetics, not to mention better for the environment, especially with each wash.

I forgot about the no smell part!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom