Slate recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a small Cetasea wrist slate like this. Very useful for sketching dive sites before a dive, sketching critters I see for later reference, or short messages to my buddy that aren't covered by hand signals.

I use Imperial gauges, and dive in Metric-land. If I'm ever diving with a controlling divemaster or guide, who wants to precisely know peoples' gas pressures, I just jot down "3000 psi = full" for his/her reference and then show my SPG, if necessary. I'm not smart enough to convert from psi to BAR on the fly, much less to remember the BAR signals. (Yes *sigh*, I'm responsible for my dive... but if the dive is guided, then I'm going to follow the rules, and make sure the guide knows what's going on.)

The slate is originally flat, though... What I did was to bake it gently in the oven, then shape it over a bottle so it's rounded and fits my forearm. It's always there on my left forearm when I need it; I just have to tuck the surgical tubing in so it doesn't get tangled with my inflator. Downside is that it's a bit hard to write on a convex surface. But I don't want to have a clipped-off slate dangling, nor do I want to hunt in a BC pocket for a slate. That's just me.

I prefer a 3-page wrist slate because it's convenient - always there and only takes one hand (plus the forearm) to use. In addition I have wetnotes in a thigh pocket with deco info and such. Wetnotes are better than regular flat slates imo because you can just rip off the pages (unless you like erasing) and use fresh ones whereas with regular slates you always need to be washing them clean. I prefer the Halcyon brand wetnotes because they are rugged with replaceable pages, though they are also rather expensive.

UnderSeaBumbleBee:
DRIS, let me ask you a question. I have one of those and it seems very hard to write on with the pencil. Is there some trick to it or do you have to prep the surface? I have the glow in the dark version.

Get a DiveRITE pencil. The absolute best underwater pencils.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned WetNotes.

Are you using a #2 Pencil?? :D

JK....I dont have any problems with mine...Does it not stick? Did you try another pencil? I dont have the Glow in the Dark, maybe there is a coating on that...

Great Question....Let me make some quick calls and see what I find...

Mike

I talked to a couple Manufs......The only thing we can come up with is maybe trying to re--sharpen the pencil.....You might have some cleaner/solvent or something on the lead that is causing it not to write well...Let me know if this helps....They said if that doesnt work, send it back to where you got it and exchange it....but with the million+ they have sold, they havent had a problem....So I guess your 1 in a million :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom