Trying to get some data for underwater white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, I've found some very interesting papers on doing different white balance on different parts of images, based on estimating transmission. Actually also looks quite practical to implement, so I may play with that as well. Seems to work quite a bit better than whole-image white balancing.

Eg Underwater image and video dehazing with pure haze region segmentation

Ah yeah that makes sense. Most action cameras don't have that (DJI Action cameras have some kind of white balance sensor, but no one really knows how it works). Yeah I think for now I'll just do histogram stretching (functionally the same as using a white balance sensor, but post-encoding rather than pre-encoding, so not as effective use of bits).
I have a DJI Action3 and the WB sensor is embedded in the body inside the ‘O’ of the Osmo lettering. Last I looked it up on a generic how stuff works search, and IIRC It was just sensing the 3 primaries and performing WB correction. I believe GoPro and Insta360 do not use a separate WB sensor but it’s embedded behind the main lens of their action cams and they still perform UCC to varying degrees of improvement in-camera over the original footage … just like the DJI with its separate sensors.

Unfortunately for DJI this means using some lenses like the AOI UWL-03 and other external macro lens attachments end up covering its WB sensor and you lose the UCC function because the sensor is blocked by the ring of the QR adapter…

Back
Top Bottom