Skin so soft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba e

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The last few trips to Roatan we have relied on Cactus Juice to fend off the local bloodsuckers. The juice works pretty good for us and will always be a fallback.
My wife jsut recieved a package from an Avon rep/friend. Inside were aerosol, cream and wipe versions of Avon Skinsosoft. Has anyone tried this prduct for the sand flee and no-seeums in Roatan? OR should we leave em home come August?

Has anyone tried this prduct for the sand flee and no-seeums in Roatan? OR should we leave em home come August?

Thousands, tens of thousands or maybe more have tried it. Some say it works some say it doesn't. Of course the tens or hundreds of thousands who use deet, picaridan, cactus juice rtc... all agree or disagree about the same as well.
There is a lot about this in previous posts if you use the :search: feature you can easilly find these.

it really doesn't work...if you want an alternative Cutters Advanced works really well...I take Cactus Juice and Cutters advanced with me

... and if/when you do get bitten, a dab of Nasonex brings instant relief from the most insane itching sensation these little buggers leave you with.

I don't know whether it works or not but every time I smell it all I can think about is my childhood growing up in the Everglades. That itself was the best defense against them when I lived in Roatan...years and years of being bitten by them. I don't really think skin so soft worked all that well on sand flies...but it will keep most people away : )

I can't recall now where I read it, but someone did some real testing with skin-so-soft and found it doesn't work as a repellent. I can tell you that I used to use it and found it did not repel mosquitoes, but it attracted bees quite well. The damn bumble bees would chase me EVERY time I tried the stuff and I still got eaten up by the skeeters.

The stuff is bogus as an insect repellent.

if Cactus Juice works welll for you, I would stick with it!! I like using it as it smells good and still keeps most bugs away. I don't think it works for mosquitos though, so take some deet product to use around dusk when the skeeters are out!

I used the skin-so-soft once on a camping trip in USA and as the other person mentioned, it attracted bugs! I wouldn't use it again, I don't care what they tell me, I don't think it works.

Stick with the cactus juice! I use that stuff like my grandma used Cod Fish Oil pills.....I am pretty sure its a cure all for all things skin irritating :) And I will tell you I just returned from Roatan, I used nothing but Cactus Juice, and while my entire family returned looking like they have chicken pox, i returned with only a tan!

Skin so soft works on common gnats... we used to use it in the outfield during summer baseball games.

I tried SSS once just 'cause I had a small bottle of it. Didn't do me any good. I've always gotten the sense that for SSS to work, you have to apply enough of the stuff to drown the little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom