Cutter's Advanced/DEET/Cactus Juice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I imagine it would be difficult to measure unless you set up an aquarium for it. You would need to ensure there were no external influences for

long enough to see an effect and to find a safe concentration would require repeated trials. I imagine putting anything other than sea water onto

coral will change it somehow, and most man-made things introduced to reefs don't really help (except electricity maybe: Pemuteran, in NW Bali) and

injecting coral with 100% DEET probably won't do it any good. On the other hand, I just looked up some numbers on DEET. It doesn't readily dissolve

in water, and is less dense (0.995 vs 1.028) so it should float (picaridin too). If it comes off the skin and drifts into the reef, or is ingested

by some marine life while still in high concentration then it can make it into the reef system, otherwise it is likely to be dispersed at the

surface.

This doesn't prove anything, but I think when I visit in July I'll bring deet, picaradin and cactus juice and try them all, as I agree that they

work differently on each person, otherwise there would only be one. I'll try not to use deet before diving to at least avoid melting my 1mm suit.

Now, if only we could find an insect replant that was also an attractor for whale sharks in July :fishslap:

DEET:
Deet
Picaridin
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/foia/reviews/070705/070705-2005-09-23a.pdf

I used Cactus Juice during the day, and had little to no problems with sand fleas; though I don't know whether to attribute that to the CJ or just my body chemistry. Other people I was with got bit a lot, even when we sat in the same spot for the same amount of time.

Wore DEET at night and had no problems with mosquitos, at all.

Seriously, don't sweat the bugs in Roatan -- they aren't THAT big of a deal. Just enjoy your trip!

I used Cutter's Advanced on a 2 week stay to the Reef House in May. I always get bit So I was preperd with OFF and DEET but ended up using The cutters it seen to keep the bugs off alot better then the others. I ended up with a few bites but I saw people at the airport that look like they were on suvievor. no thanks.

I have read that Icaridin 7% is almost as useless as Skin So Soft.

When Picaridin first came on the market it was sold at 15% in Europe, Australia, etc. However, the FDA would not allow it to be sold in the USA as anything higher than 7%--which, as you say, is useless.

However, it appears that things have changed with the FDA, because The Cutters Advanced is 15% Picaridin.

And thanks, Jon Nellis, for the Sawyer link to a 20% concentration.
--------
We were in the Amazon jungle for a week and we found that anything over 30% Deet worked fine, but then again, there were no sand fleas, and there was no reef.

Best advice I've yet read... I'm a mosquito-no-see-um MAGNET. I'll need to take an army of stuff down with me since I have no idea which will work there... so thankful for advice on antihistamines. Noted. Bought. Packed. Bring on the critters.

I found Cutter's Advanced worked really well too. I took Deep Woods Off with me for a back-up if necessary, but never needed it. I didn't get bitten at all when I used Cutter's, but the two times I forgot in the evening or early morning, I got bitten a lot. Also, with Cutter's Advanced, there was no smell or gross feeling like with DEET; and it's environmentally friendly as well as clothing and wetsuit friendly. I was very happy with the Cutter's Advanced, as were other people in our group.

Hi, I'm in Toronto too.
May I ask,
* Where you were able to find Cutter's Advanced (I've not found it)? Approx how much? Is 1 bottle enough for 2 weeks on Roatan - I'm a magnet for all bug bites.
* Did you ever try Cactus Juice? where did you get it?

You can buy Cactus Juice on-line, just do a search.

We're taking 2 cans of Cutter's Advanced for our trip next month. I really hate DEET and if I can avoid it by using something that Europeans say is just as effective, I'm going to give it a go. I've also been taking Vitamin B, so we'll see if the combination does the trick. :wink:

You can buy Cactus Juice on-line, just do a search.
Just remember , while no one can show any info that deet harms the reef there are actual studies showing how the ingedients in Cactus Juice can hurt the reef but the Roatan Marine Park sells it?.
There is a reason that Cactus juice cannot be sold in the US as a repellant but when sold elswhere it gets a little sticker calling it a repellant.
Probably not best to load up with any type of chemical just before getting in the water but at the same time there seems to be little reason to be concerned with their use for prevention of bugs carrying things like Dengue and Malaria, Even Picaridan(sp) is shown to be moderately toxic in the studies I have previously mentioned. Just being natural does not make things safe, Snake venom, Jellyfish stings, Poison Ivy, Anthrax, etc.. are all found naturally.

ChinaDoll, Go to Walmart's and buy Watkins bug replellent. Its a creme, not greasy, and after 3 trips to Roatan with many different people, we all agreed the Watkins worked best. The only time I got any bites is when I forgot to put it on.
We have also used Cactus juice, Muskoil, Deep Woods Off, and Regular Off. Watkins still comes out on top.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom