Skin Cancer - I have it - Get your skin checked regularly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing and reminding us of the sunscreen. We live in Hawaii and are in the sun all the time. When we go diving I usually forget to bring the sunscreen then make a good (obviously stupid) excuse for not bringing it. I will keep some in my dive bucket (for shore dives) and bag (for boat dives). I usually only use lotion while sunbathing. All the best to you.

Melissa

howarde:
Let me preface this by saying that I am not looking for sympathy with this post, merely to share my story, and hopefully help others.

I have this little spot on my leg... I noticed it a few months ago. It is about 3/8" across, and irregular in shape.

I am 36 years old, and in great health. I am not a fan of going to the doctor, so it's always a chore for me to do so. My wife and I both went to the dermatologist 3 weeks ago. She was concerned about her skin, since she was a lifeguard for many years, and spent countless hours in the sun.

We were both examined, and the doc didn't even biopsy anything from her, but took 3 biopsies from me. Less than a week later, I received a call from them stating that I have an "EARLY MELANOMA" and that I should contact their preferred plastic surgeon for MOH's Surgery (this is not my surgeon's site, just info on MOH's)

I am having the MOH's procedure done tomorrow, and expect total removal of the cancer (doc's words). Aside from the fact that I won't be able to dive for a whole 7-10 days after the surgery, I just wanted to let people know about my condition, and...

if you see any irregular moles, freckles, anything ON YOUR SKIN that looks odd... SEE a dermatologist... don't wait.

Since SCUBA divers also spend a lot of time in the sun (on boats, beaches, etc) I think people should be aware... I always wear sun screen, and try not to spend too much time directly exposed to the sun....

Anyway... there you have it... For more info on skin cancer... there is this too.

http://www.avdistrict.org/jobs/acs skin cancer.htm
First of all, thanks for the tip and good luck!
On a related note, being the lack of sun ray protection, I went to the Dr. a few years back at age 42 with a sudden (within a couple of months) onset of cloudy vision. I ended up being "ripe catarracts" in both eyes!. To make for a short story, both lenses were removed and lenses were installed in each eye. I now have a corrected vision of 20/15 and all is well. The doctor told be to relay to anyone that works or spends a lot of time in the sun such as carpenters or lobstermen to make certain that they invest and wear a good pair of uv protection sunglasses as we no longer have the protection from the sun we used to have. I guess divers fall into the same catagory!

Dive safe and often, Bob

Thanks for all of the good wishes. I will post an update to my condition.

My main message here is - don't hesitate - if you're not sure - get it looked at.

Thanks buddy for sharing your story. Keep us updated.
Oh, and since you are not diving, you won't mind serving drinks after our dive, will ya?? :D

Scuba_Jenny:
Thanks buddy for sharing your story. Keep us updated.
Oh, and since you are not diving, you won't mind serving drinks after our dive, will ya?? :D

I'm not gonna be the cabana boy :D

Howard you're right. Everyone needs to keep a check on any moles and any changes in moles you've had for a while. I've had 8 biopsied over the years and one removed in a procedure that sounds similar to what you are having tomorrow. They never said "cancer" but dug a pretty good chunk of skin to get rid of a mole on my abdomen (mole was a little bigger than a pencil eraser), it started changing just a bit in size but mostly it got dry and itchy. I have a scar about an inch long. I remember watching Dateline years ago about this young mother (in her 30s) who had a mole pop up on her foot and she ignored it. Turned out to be skin cancer and because she let it go she later died. That made me really think about taking care of my skin more seriously. I don't mean to scare anyone but just goes to show you that you really need to get a dermatologist to look your skin over every year. Especially if you're fair skinned, redhead and blue eyed. :D

I'm sure you'll be fine and the docs will take care of you tomorrow. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Keep us updated.

Mel

howarde:
Let me preface this by saying that I am not looking for sympathy with this post, merely to share my story, and hopefully help others.

I have this little spot on my leg... I noticed it a few months ago. It is about 3/8" across, and irregular in shape.

I am 36 years old, and in great health. I am not a fan of going to the doctor, so it's always a chore for me to do so. My wife and I both went to the dermatologist 3 weeks ago. She was concerned about her skin, since she was a lifeguard for many years, and spent countless hours in the sun.

We were both examined, and the doc didn't even biopsy anything from her, but took 3 biopsies from me. Less than a week later, I received a call from them stating that I have an "EARLY MELANOMA" and that I should contact their preferred plastic surgeon for MOH's Surgery (this is not my surgeon's site, just info on MOH's)

I am having the MOH's procedure done tomorrow, and expect total removal of the cancer (doc's words). Aside from the fact that I won't be able to dive for a whole 7-10 days after the surgery, I just wanted to let people know about my condition, and...

if you see any irregular moles, freckles, anything ON YOUR SKIN that looks odd... SEE a dermatologist... don't wait.

Since SCUBA divers also spend a lot of time in the sun (on boats, beaches, etc) I think people should be aware... I always wear sun screen, and try not to spend too much time directly exposed to the sun....

Anyway... there you have it... For more info on skin cancer... there is this too.

http://www.avdistrict.org/jobs/acs%20skin%20cancer.htm

Howarde... I'm sure many of us hope your MOH's procedure goes well. Best wishes.

I was a lifeguard in my youth (if I remember correctly) and have lived in California te last 36 years. My most recent appointment with the dermatologist produced four spots that had to be removed and all tested as early basal cell. When one considers that skin cancer and many other forms can be successfully treated if caught early, the minor expense of a doctor's visit is good insurance. I just wish our health "insurance" companies felt that way about procedures.

drbill:
Howarde... I'm sure many of us hope your MOH's procedure goes well. Best wishes.

I was a lifeguard in my youth (if I remember correctly) and have lived in California te last 36 years. My most recent appointment with the dermatologist produced four spots that had to be removed and all tested as early basal cell. When one considers that skin cancer and many other forms can be successfully treated if caught early, the minor expense of a doctor's visit is good insurance. I just wish our health "insurance" companies felt that way about procedures.

Thanks again to everyone UFFDABOY, DennisW, devolution365, chip104, Vtdiver2 (we're still thinking about SB party), mdjh51, 00scuba (I used the housing again yesterday!) , cdiver2, ch0ppersrule, Jam, Jenny, costi, suthnbelle, jagfish, and drbill.

Some good points brought up here too... Any expense is really worth having your skin checked annually. Melanoma can KILL you, if you let it go. I am pretty sure that in my case there will be a full removal, and all will be well... I'm leaving for the doc's in an hour... So I'll post the results later....

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the support. It makes me feel better knowing I have support, and that I'm not a complete basket case, like our friend who had something similar 3 years ago.

Well... I'm back from the surgeon...

He didn't do Moh's - instead he excised the whole thing... He went about 1/4" deep. I can't see anything since I was on my stomach while he cut. But the whole procedure took only about 20 minutes! Now I have to wait 10 days of no diving or running (since it's on my leg) and hope that the pathology comes back clean in 10 days too. I'll post an update when I hear some news.

I am just glad that I had the spot looked at early enough to have it easily dealt with. So if you have any doubt about something on your skin... don't hesitate... it could save your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom