Skin Cancer - I have it - Get your skin checked regularly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow. i really really need to go to the dermatologist. really.

thanks for the reminder, howard, and i'll keep my fingers crossed for clean margins.

Sorry to hear this Howarde...I have had so many removed that I look like swiss cheese! Luckily they all came back negative. I highly reccomend that you do a buddy skin check. Go to the Doctor, don't wait! It is often hard to remember if one has "grown" or not....so take pictures of them and compare after a couple of weeks (or a month or two). If they've grown, you better be reaching for that phone.

Good luck today!!

justleesa - taking pictures is GREAT advice. Also buddy checks, if you have a SO to help out with that. Someone who looks at your body on a regular basis definitely helps.

Best of luck Howard & thanks for raising this important issue. My very fair skinned/blue eyed b/f was diagnosed a year & a half ago w/ squamus cell. He religiously wore sunscreen, sunglasses & hats on boats, but developed a small spot under his left eye, just under the sunglass line, delicate eye tissue where you normally wouldn't put sunscreen - too close to eye. 3 rounds of cutting & a lovely 2.5 inch scar down his face, check up every 6 months & he's been clean since. My check up is January 3. I have a spot like UFFADABOY right under my left eye - years of exposure from driving & on boats (light reflecting off water is killer!)

Many people feel 'if my health plan doesn't cover the expense, I'm not paying for it' - be it meds, check ups or whatever. As cdiver2 points out - $120 is not a lot if it saves your life. The New Year is close at hand & a perfect time to make the resolution to get those doctor visits/health issues checked out. Many dermatologists office also carry very high SPF sunscreens & everyday moisturizers contain SPF, so it isn't that difficult to incorporate into daily routine.

Good luck Howard & keep us posted on your treatment.

Thanks for the reminder, its time for me to go in. I usually get 10-15 of the liquid nitrogen squirts and look like a leper for a week.

Howard,

I wish I had something profound to offer at this time, for me this was the worst part.
Try to keeep yourself busy and your mind occupied and hopefully the 10 days won't seem like 10 lifetimes.

E-P

Are we there yet?

UFFDABOY - Thanks... They gave me some strong pain meds which make me not care about much... Also, I'm a retailer, and it's christmas season... It's easy not to think about it.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be fine once the pathology comes back... I'm planning to dive on the 30th (wasting no time there)

BTW - Attached is a photo from before the surgery. If you have any large "freckles" like this - get it looked at.

joystershell:
Howard, its too cold to dive today anyway.
Hey, wait a minute! Don't we live in Florida?
Yeah, but it's still too cold. Brr!!

It is the first day of winter :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom