Site very slow recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidFL

Wide-eyed nube in the Pub
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Over some period of the last several days and maybe weeks, SB response is extra slow. I get the same result on two relatively new Windows laptops and my one-year old Samsung phone, using both Chrome and Edge browsers. My attempt to enter "site support" in the search window on the blue banner generated server errors consistently

Pete throttled back the SB servers because fast response times are fascist. Server errors and DSL load times make us more equal and appreciative the board.

Edit: said in jest for those that can't read humor

Pete throttled back the SB servers because fast response times are fascist. Server errors and DSL load times make us more equal and appreciative the board.
Apparently it gives us more time to think before we post.

Think the database server's been having problems for a while. I raise my hat to the systems administrators for having to deal with these issues. I used to run a small dive forum and it was a constant problem keeping it running.

Yes, the SB servers have been pretty flaky lately the last month or two, due to a handful of problems that I don't really understand that well, not being a systems admin myself. There have been a couple of upgrades happening, some changes in policy regarding large file uploads, and a few server restarts. Some of this stuff is under our control, some of it is on the side of the datacenter which hosts ScubaBoard. Point is, we're aware of it, and we're working on it, but it's complicated.

Our primary sysadmin is hard at work on all this, and I'm very grateful for his diligence. Of course, he has his own real life to take care of as well, and nobody is available 24/7. Hopefully things will be a little more reliable soon.

Of course, he has his own real life to take care of as well, and nobody is available 24/7. Hopefully things will be a little more reliable soon.
What, he has more important things to consider than a bunch of middle-aged dilettantes dreaming of St. Croix, and floating their bloat?

Such selfishness -- shocking really . . .

What, he has more important things to consider than a bunch of middle-aged dilettantes dreaming of St. Croix, and floating their bloat?

Such selfishness -- shocking really . . .
But isn’t that about 95% of the reason for the site?

Last Night, SB unavailable to me for more than 12 hours:
When SB successfully "Pinged" I got the following errors:
Unexpected data base error, try again later
Server unavailable
Unknown server
Blank white screen, with digits 2023 in upper left corner

For several hours, "Ping" was unsuccessful
During this outage, Tracert got as far as Frankfort before timing out.

For the last week, service has been very iffy during evening hours for me in US at Ann Arbor, MI.

For the non-computer folks:
Ping is a command line request to test internet connectivity (like a submarine sonar ping)
Tracert is a command line request to indicate steps from user to requested server

But isn’t that about 95% of the reason for the site?
The main reason for this site is so all of us Federal workers sitting on useless and never-ending ZOOM, WEBEX and TEAMS meetings can have something to do on our "left" monitor while waiting for someone to mention our name on our "right" monitor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom