http://www.diveheart.org/

Since we're in the donating mood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric:
Plant life has been on earth long before animal lifeforms, so it looks wrong to me to kill those highly evolved carrots... but i still do :D:wink:

Vegetables are what food eats.

catherine96821:
I do not crave fur or even cures for every disease known to man, to be honest.

Which disease(s) do you not crave a cure for, and why?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't understand that.

Neo, im with Catherine... im often sit back and look at some causes/illness and wonder why we think we have the right to cure every ailement and disease known.

afterall, we cant live forever - well, thats what some of us think

personally i use to sit back and look at Christopher Reeve and see a machine breathing for the guy and think from my backwater point of view it wasnt nature's intention for him to be alive - lets remember, the guy wasnt even capable of breathing a single breath of air on his own.. sad but true

i am blessed that i am in good heath and never forget this for a second, but its written in my living will/documents ect that i am NOT to be kept alive artificially and i would like to think if im ill enough to be facing death i am blessed with the strength (indomitable will) to let go

deeper thoughts:
Good for you, the humane scociety held a protest in reference to the seals and we supported it and will do so again
They had a catchy little slogan Club sandwiches not seals

What if you want a seal sandwich?

go for it dude, each his own

neophyte:
Which disease(s) do you not crave a cure for, and why?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't understand that.

Yup, Almity, I feel in agreement. Now, I cannot argue it totally intellectually, but:

Take Ronald Regean, for example. (I liked him). The fact that someone gets old and gets Altzeimer's should not be prolonged or, even if we cure it, then what? He dies of something else. To pay poor women for embryos and create embryos for research seems a barbaric violation of being a female human. If your instinct has been provided to protect your offspring, then there is a spiritual reason. Notice I stop short of other
controversial subjects. I don't put my beliefs on others I HOPE, but I think we were given an inate sense of right and wrong, and that is what I follow. It is not always clear, but it usually is.

Christopher Reeves, very sad. Sad enough to slam thousands of chimpanzees into walls and make them suffer horrendously, personally I have doubts about that. Eating does not seem arrogant, but that seems arrogent, to me. That all the other beings are put here to put an end to human suffering is just a function of our own
delusional grandeur. Where do you draw the line? Logic does not solve this one, you have to feel your way through it and it will be different for everyone.

almitywife:
Neo, im with Catherine... im often sit back and look at some causes/illness and wonder why we think we have the right to cure every ailement and disease known.

afterall, we cant live forever - well, thats what some of us think

personally i use to sit back and look at Christopher Reeve and see a machine breathing for the guy and think from my backwater point of view it wasnt nature's intention for him to be alive - lets remember, the guy wasnt even capable of breathing a single breath of air on his own.. sad but true

i am blessed that i am in good heath and never forget this for a second, but its written in my living will/documents ect that i am NOT to be kept alive artificially and i would like to think if im ill enough to be facing death i am blessed with the strength (indomitable will) to let go

I would never argue that we have the right to cure every ailment and disease known. On the other hand, I do think that it's just wonderful that we're trying.

Does nature have intentions? If it does, is it best to abide them? Does nature "intend" that we breathe underwater, clothe ourselves, not lose half of our children (and women) in childbirth?

Aren't we piles of meat and bone, same as other animals, or lumps of carbon, same as anything else in nature? Isn't anything we undertake to further our health and survival "intended" by some piece or other of nature?

As far as Christopher Reeve, what are you saying exactly? I don't want to read anything any more ghoulish into your words than you intended, but I'm not sure what else you meant. He should've been dead? The work that he did towards the end of his life in support of cures and solutions for other sufferers of traumatic injury and degenerative conditions would've been better off undone because he didn't fit your criteria for being healthy enough to deserve to live? I'm SURE that's not what you're saying, but that's what it reads like.

That's truly wonderful that you're healthy. It's great that you're able to make choices as to what goes into your living will, and I couldn't support that any more than I do. If there weren't cures and strategies for extending life though, you wouldn't have a choice to make. In what way(s) would your life be better without that choice?

It was not that many decades ago that a simple cut could quickly become a septic death sentence. How many children don't die each day from diarrhea that would've killed them just a few years ago? How technologically impressive does a cure have to become before it is going against "nature's intentions"?

I understand that there are conditions and situations with various possible solutions over which reasonable people could disagree. What I don't understand is what possible benefit there could be to anyone to not doing every damn thing we can to come up with as many cures as possible for every single disease there is.

Back
Top Bottom