Simple Question : Defination of STROKE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
lal7176's definition is basically the same as mine - unsafe diver yada yada yada.

DIR and stroke are not mutually exclusive....

* People who claim to be DIR, yet do solo ice dives, are strokes
* People who claim to be DIR, and bash other people's equipment choices simply because it's not made by Apeks, DUI, Halcyon or is a JetFin clone, are wankers, which makes them strokes
* People who claim to be non-DIR, yet dive with well-thought out configurations, within the bounds of their training, and with a safety conscious attitude, are not strokes

that's my jar of pennies worth

Fantasticly said, this I think was the best definition I have seen.

And I love the last point :
* People who claim to be non-DIR, yet dive with well-thought out configurations, within the bounds of their training, and with a safety conscious attitude, are not strokes

That is the main message that we need to spread.

Great
=-)

Scubaroo once bubbled...
.......are wankers, which makes them strokes.......

Okay, Scubaroo, it is not fair that you include "wankers" as part of your definition of "stroke"! After all, it is a time-honored tradition. As you know, and any other guy over the age of puberty knows, your mother was wrong when she said you'd go blind if you did that. Besides, it's the only sure way of getting a date at the last minute. You don't have to dress up, and you sometimes meet a better class of people!:D :D :D

I think that "Stroke" is not necesarily a deragatory term. It is just a label like anything else. Instead of saying "I don't feel comfortable diving with that guy.", you just say he's a stroke.

It is a funny term but I try not to call anyone a stroke because it might be misinterpreted as some sort of "elitist" comment. That is really not how it is intended.

A stroke is someone who has been show a more logical method but refuses to listen to reason. The person knows better but, is unwilling to improve. Strokes are unsafe and are not commited to safe diving. People that do unsafe and stupid things without proper thought and training are strokes. Guys who don't practice skills are strokes. Instructors who insist on teaching such nonsense to their students, despite knowing better, are King Strokes. Strokes are guys that your average diver would not feel comfortable diving with. Strokes are illogical and/or poorly skilled.

I don't think someone is a stroke as long as they are always trying to improve and are open to reason.

shouldn't the DIR people be the strokes? After all they have to stroke GI's ego.....

No one needs to stroke GI's ego...I think he is pretty self assured...

Jonathan once bubbled...
rower nearest the cox - or is it furthest? :D

Ha ha ha .. only got it the second time round .. think it's the closest to the cox...

something like ..
stern : cox, stroke, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 : bow

Jonathan once bubbled...
rower nearest the cox - or is it furthest? :D

Nearest.

I've seen "stroke" used by people that like to think their way is better than someone elses way, not necessarily that their way is better. I never have and never will use the term... nor will I ever call myself a DIR diver... I'm a diver, period... no matter what gear I use, how I use it, or how I dive. At best its childish. Thats like calling someone a carpetmuncher... It's just a simple way for someone to say they're better than someone else or thats someone is different and therefore better or lessor instead of just sharing knowledge and ideas. Thats what this board is about and thats why you won't hear it a lot here. Why even comment on someone else's dive style or ability? Why waste your time? Cause it separates the "cool" divers from the "not cool" divers. Thats a big part of DIR no matter how you cut it unfortunately. Many of the principles of DIR are absolutely great, but the jist of it being some elite group is not. A lot that consider themselfes DIR will say that those people that feel that the "cool because i'm DIR" divers aren't DIR at all. Why do we have to label everything? You're a stroke... thats DIR... thats not DIR... Does DIR have ownership of certain skills or methods? No, not at all...

I listened to some DIR audio's the other day that happily poked fun at PADI and used the term stroke a lot. No one can deny that PADI has done more positive for the dive industry as a whole than any other single group. If there was never a PADI, the dive industry, tech diving included, wouldn't be where its at today, technoligically or otherwise. I heard a lot of BS, but nothing really about diving techniques other than whats wrong with certain gear setups... more than anything it was a commentary on how those guys felt they were better divers than anyone else. Guys, who gives a flying f@#k about what anyone else thinks is best for them? Take the info thats available and make the decision for yourself and let other divers do the same...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom