Silent World Review 11/28 - 30 With new ownership (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How deep is the Spiegel Grove? I seem to remember it's in the 90+ foot range? If so, I could easily see, if you maxed out your no-deco time on the first dive and only did 45 minutes SI, a computer giving you only a 20 or 25 minute time for the second dive. I'm sure that's what our Suuntos would do, because I remember a pair of dives on Maui where the first was deep, at Molokini, and the second (after more than an hour) was to 80 feet and we had a 20 minute NDL. A more liberal computer might give a bit more, and Nitrox might give quite a bit more. But the DM may well have been doing exactly what he ought to do.

Yep, that's about what our Suuntos gave us for a double dip on the Spiegel Grove. For that reason I'm more a fan of the morning wreck and afternoon reef itinerary.

I would get more like 30-40 minutes on the second diving using my Oceanic computer, running DSAT, depending on specifics of the dives and again, assuming EAN32

Looks to me like they were rushing because they knew they should not be there. My last double dip on the SG was 32 min and 37 min using a 32% mix.

I for one, will never use this business after a report like that. Same with Hall's in the keys as well. They screwed me royally and I will never go back and I make it a point to tell people to avoid them. It is the right thing to do.. let other unsuspecting people know about poor service.

It works both ways

I dive the Jupiter/WPB area and every single captain talks to every other captain in the area about customers. They absolutely know which customers CANCEL on them at the last minute and they share that information all the time (especially at the upcoming holiday parties or recently DEMA). The original poster on his next call to other Largo boats (who thanks to them reading this post) might in the future upon calling any shop, may get a response of "Let me call you back as the date gets closer to see if we have room". In otherwords, they know you complain & post, and will give you a seat, only to make the minimum amount of divers to run the boat. Don't think they forget either, when every shop is running detailed booking software with customer profile notes like "prefers steel tanks, hit deco last dive, great tipper". Computerized customer profiles are awesome if you have a habit of 1)being early 2)bring fresh dip/snacks for crew & 3)Tip generously,,like many of us do! Every shop I know runs customer profiles and bad divers have notes listed.

If a diver doesn't take the personal time to read the 4-5 available detailed wave models & forecasts and come to a decision or better yet PM any of the hundreds of local regular divers for their free unbiased go/no-go suggestion, then that's their fault for being lazy and not doing the pre-work on their dives. Part of being a safe diver is taking the time to be prepared and that includes looking at forecasts you think are too rough for your style of diving. You certainly don't jump off a boat trusting the crew your rental tank is 3000psi full without checking it 1st, why not the weather forecast? If you are not sure of the weather, then wait until 3 days before you arrive to book the dives and take a chance that your favorite boat is full. Otherwise, sit at the inlet with your umbrella cocktail and wave at the hardcore boats as they go do the more exciting dives while getting tossed & soaked on the way out. Sometimes you just have to suck it up if you want a dive adventure you'll never forget. The most incredible dives I've had is when we are either submarine'ing the bow into a 12 foot curler or hanging ten with the kiteboarders trying to surf a 40 foot boat, sliding down a wave into the inlet mouth without hitting the rocks.

My buddies and I have one standard rule " WE DON'T CANCEL!! If the boat's going, so am I !! " My 20 year diving reputation as a reliable, heads-up, diver is not worth being trashed when the captains talk together, and they all do.

(P.S. Remember to bring a dozen or 2, chicken wings for your captain & boat next time. If you make him smile, he'll make you smile, just sayin... )

My buddies and I have one standard rule " WE DON'T CANCEL!! If the boat's going, so am I !! " My 20 year diving reputation as a reliable, heads-up, diver is not worth being trashed when the captains talk together, and they all do.

That might work on Florida, but if you do that on Lake Huron, "You're gonna have a bad time"

Reactions: Jax
It works both ways

I dive the Jupiter/WPB area and every single captain talks to every other captain in the area about customers. They absolutely know which customers CANCEL on them at the last minute and they share that information all the time (especially at the upcoming holiday parties or recently DEMA). The original poster on his next call to other Largo boats (who thanks to them reading this post) might in the future upon calling any shop, may get a response of "Let me call you back as the date gets closer to see if we have room". In otherwords, they know you complain & post, and will give you a seat, only to make the minimum amount of divers to run the boat. Don't think they forget either, when every shop is running detailed booking software with customer profile notes like "prefers steel tanks, hit deco last dive, great tipper". Computerized customer profiles are awesome if you have a habit of 1)being early 2)bring fresh dip/snacks for crew & 3)Tip generously,,like many of us do! Every shop I know runs customer profiles and bad divers have notes listed.

If a diver doesn't take the personal time to read the 4-5 available detailed wave models & forecasts and come to a decision or better yet PM any of the hundreds of local regular divers for their free unbiased go/no-go suggestion, then that's their fault for being lazy and not doing the pre-work on their dives. Part of being a safe diver is taking the time to be prepared and that includes looking at forecasts you think are too rough for your style of diving. You certainly don't jump off a boat trusting the crew your rental tank is 3000psi full without checking it 1st, why not the weather forecast? If you are not sure of the weather, then wait until 3 days before you arrive to book the dives and take a chance that your favorite boat is full. Otherwise, sit at the inlet with your umbrella cocktail and wave at the hardcore boats as they go do the more exciting dives while getting tossed & soaked on the way out. Sometimes you just have to suck it up if you want a dive adventure you'll never forget. The most incredible dives I've had is when we are either submarine'ing the bow into a 12 foot curler or hanging ten with the kiteboarders trying to surf a 40 foot boat, sliding down a wave into the inlet mouth without hitting the rocks.

(P.S. Remember to bring a dozen or 2, chicken wings for your captain & boat next time. If you make him smile, he'll make you smile, just sayin... )

I don't think any of us were in Key Largo on Nov 29, so, in general, we can't say what the conditions were like. I know, as a landlubber, I overestimate sea conditions, both height and period. I would be very interested in knowing what other operators did that afternoon. For instance, I'm reasonably confident in the decisions made by Ocean Divers. Of course they do have larger Newtons and may be more stable in bigger seas.

I agree wholeheartedly with Johnoly, if the boat goes, I go, every time

Good diving, Craig

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2013 at 08:19 PM ----------

That might work on Florida, but if you do that on Lake Huron, "You're gonna have a bad time"

Why does that matter relative to the location?

We were on EAN 29. It was a conservative computer that called the dive early. I even gave the guy a $20 both days. I said I enjoyed the dive the fact that a dive capt is calling divers back in at 45 min SI on a deep wreck is concerning. We got back to the dock and after my 5'0" wife was being flung around on the ladder trying to battle 8' waves. I wasnt going to risk her getting hurt. He could of mentioned, hey I have a policy I am going back out and you will be chaged if you are not on the boat. Not that would change my decision but at least we would know he didnt agree that the conditions were that rough. Too my understanding was it was getting bad put there and tomorrow was another day for diving. So at that point all was good.

Too the poster : Johnoly
Too say I didnt check forecast and others is BS! I even posted here in this forum to get maybe 4 responses! I checked every weather model out there and called the "owner"! I was happy to find out the boat was running we were ready do dive! I didnt just pay for a trip down to the Keys for nothing. I wanted nothing more to than go out! Without risking the safety of others! The Capt never once said hey the inner reefs are protected. The conversation went " Ya there will be some surge but im down if you are". Im thinking are you going to be smashing into the coral and trying to get back in the boat???

. Just this year alone we have been to the Galapagos, Bahamas, Panama City FL, West Palm FL, Charleston SC, Morehead City NC, Cancun and Cozumel now Key Largo.

With all due respect, money for traveling doesn't seem to be a problem for you, and you did get a three tank dive the next day so there must be something else that irritated you this much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom