Signaling (Sound) Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a recent trip to Bonaire, N.A. my wife and I dived with a couple from England. They had a signaling device that was about the length and diameter of a pencil. It was hollow and was made out of some type of metal. It had small metal pieces inside the sealed tube. The small unit was then attached to the BC. With only a quick shake of this tube, there was a "very" audible sound that everyone easily heard. This device produced the most attention getting sound of anything, non-air integrated, that I ever heard. The problem is I am trying to find one in the US and nobody I talked to ever heard of it. I'm guessing it is a European product that may not be available in the US. Any help with locating one or at least the manufacturer name would be greatly appreciated. The ease and sound of this device put our tank bangers to shame.

in the thread I mentioned (not Natasha hehehe), it's on page 3 on one of Walter's posts.

I have seen one of those before and agree that is an excellent device for getting peoples attention. I always have trouble hearing people wrapping their tank when I have my hood on, but did not have any difficulty hearing the rattler. Now I can build one (thanks DG and of course Walter) for my wife so she can get my attention!

These shakers cost about ten UK Pounds here... but making one yourself cannot be too difficult. They are just a sealed metal tube with a ball bearing inside (I think).

Regards,

Shaun

:bounce:

Went diving with someone with a rattle recently and it clinked constantly. Very, very irritating! Is there some way to attach it so it only rattles when you want it to?

Zept

>>it clinked constantly. Very, very irritating! Is there some way to attach it so it only rattles when you want it to?<<
Mine has a niffty magnet arrangement...on a short cord. With the magnet in place the ball inside stays quiet.... remove the magnet and rattle to your hearts content! Clever eh?

I have just taken a picture of the arrangement... if you want to see what I mean, let me know and I'll email it.
(New here... can't see how to include a picture)

Regards,

Shaun
:)

I have finally figured ou how to link the picture...... Normally the magnet sits on the end of the tube (left in picture). The magnet is the thing on the end of the blue string.
rattle.jpg

Hope this makes all clear!

Regards,

Shaun
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom