Tale of woe: How I was "THAT" diver (non-fatal)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also ... I HAVE an SMB and reel, but never carry it because the reel keeps coming undone and unspooling.
This is my SMB. No reel, just 10 meters of chord... It stays inside its bag, either in the jacket's pocket or attached on the side of my rear-inflating not-jacket BCD...
1337425059-59047400.jpg

Anyone know of a YouTube that clearly - and easily - explains how to set it up so that it doesn't unspool on a dive?

@Ken Kurtis did you over sanitize this? He handled the issues pretty well and many, many of us have a tendency to wander and our buddies are OK with it from the start.

@Ken Kurtis did you over sanitize this?
Nope. By "sanitize," I mean I removed names and details (at his request - and I showed him this version before I posted) that he felt could lead someone to figure out who he is. He's VERY embarrassed about this. Said it took him almost a month to work up the nerve to tell me about it. And I agree with those who have said he's being too hard on himself. Here's what I wrote to him in an e-mail: "Don't beat yourself up too badly. You survived. Twice." (But I did tell him I loved his phrase "Ascent of Shame" and may have to borrow that.)

But I also think many of you are missing a point about his reaction. As an instructor and someone who takes people on these kinds of trips, I would MUCH rather see a diver over-react to small mistakes, beat himself (or herself) up mercilessly about it, and vow to never let it happen again as opposed to someone who does something stupid/reckless, says it's no big deal, doesn't acknowledge the seriousness of the experience, and sets him/herself up to do something stupid again that might not have the same outcome.

In my book, over-cautious triumphs over-confident every single time.

Ok Big Kahuna, you have improved my SMB deployment/stowage twice now. And I have not taken a course from you. What you just detailed, happened to me on the Curacao Surge. I think it was Bruce who gathered up my thumb spool for me.

Had I done the same with my wife, she had killed me.
Always staying at touch distance each other is a rule for us...

Hi Angelo,

My wife is a good diver by recreational standards; however, she can be an SOB at times. I would rather have your situation than mine. Getting "killed" for straying out of "buddy range" is a much better problem. Thank your wife for me.
:cheers:

I think the target of this thread is being too critical. Yeah, he should have done things differently but it turned out OK. Lesson learned.

thanks Ken,
m

Some would not consider less than 20’ to be an unreasonable distance in Caribbean waters.
Bob

Regardless of what "some would consider", in this instance it was. Clearly he felt the same way until he abandon his buddy and got lost.

If the visibility variability had been addressed in the dive briefing...
Bob

Now you're shifting blame to the dive operator? Regardless of what was addressed in the dive briefing, if he didn't leave his buddy this incident doesn't happen. Dive briefings don't usurp proper training.

My wife is a good diver by recreational standards; however, she can be an SOB at times. I would rather have your situation than mine. Getting "killed" for straying out of "buddy range" is a much better problem. Thank your wife for me.
Sorry, I am Italian: your American three-letter acronyms are always very hard for me.
What do you mean for SOB? Short of Breath? Son of a Bitch? Stupid Old Bastard? (no offense intended)
I found 89 possible meanings for SOB: SOB

Now you're shifting blame to the dive operator? Regardless of what was addressed in the dive briefing, if he didn't leave his buddy this incident doesn't happen. Dive briefings don't usurp proper training.

From my reread, the viz was 20’ got a few feet from his buddy and the viz went so bad they became separated.

I would expect that in NorCal, I didn’t even think it was a thing in the Caribbean, not that I’ve spent a lot of time there. I would have been just as surprised to see 20’ viz, never mind have it drop to 5’or less.

I’m not trying to blame anyone, you brought that up, I just think a heads up on local conditions could be helpful.

Bob

Son of a Bitch
That. Of course, she is not. It's a vulgar expression that has gained more acceptance over decades with no literal meaning.

I'm just a vacation diver, but I don't see any great failures to the dives in question. Rental gear shortcomings, yeah. Stuff happens, follow your training, and if needed ditch your weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom