Sidewinder Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLightcap

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all. I currently have a Shearwater AI and a non-tech backup computer that I want to replace. My dilemma is that I want to purchase a computer that will work with the Kiss Sidewinder bacause i plan to purchase one next year. I was considering a NERD with four pin connector but I am concerned that the NERD wouldn't be usefull for open circuit diving which is what I need it for now. My other thought was a Shearwater Petrel 2 with four pin connector. With the Petrel i was thinking i could use that for cave and deco diving and it would also be a good computer for the Sidewinder. I think i could just put a small section of cable on the Petrel 2 and wrap it around my wrist if it doesn't have a cap... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The older Petrel with Fischer connector is an option. The fischer connector is fully removable and the computer has a plug for the socket so you can easily use it when diving open circuit. I don't know if the Sidewinder offers the option of a fischer cable as they are somewhat obsolete and out of favor now.

A better choice it to get two computers. It's nice to have a backup computer anyway, so keep your Petrel AI and use it as your backup when diving CC and primary with OC.

I had a four pin nerd and ditched it in favor of a four pin petrel and Fathom HUD as the NERD2 1) isn't visible in a white out (nor was nerd1) 2) is plagued by an engineering design that renders the depth sensor as VERY fragile and I could no longer rely on it. A nerd is a poor choice for OC technical diving.

Short answer: four pin Petrel, ~20-24" cable depending on how large you are, and keep a bungee wrapped around your arm to use the computer in the event you're diving OC.

The older Petrel with Fischer connector is an option. The fischer connector is fully removable and the computer has a plug for the socket so you can easily use it when diving open circuit. I don't know if the Sidewinder offers the option of a fischer cable as they are somewhat obsolete and out of favor now.

A better choice it to get two computers. It's nice to have a backup computer anyway, so keep your Petrel AI and use it as your backup when diving CC and primary with OC.

Yes you can still get a Fischer connection for the KISS but I would avoid it like the plague. There is a reason why this has been replaced with the 4 pin. Search the archives of this forum or talk to anyone that had a Fischer cable and you will hear all the stories of how unreliable they are. My friend actually had to send her JJ head is 3 times in 1 year due to Fischer connection issues.

I had a four pin nerd and ditched it in favor of a four pin petrel and Fathom HUD as the NERD2 1) isn't visible in a white out (nor was nerd1) 2) is plagued by an engineering design that renders the depth sensor as VERY fragile and I could no longer rely on it. A nerd is a poor choice for OC technical diving.

Short answer: four pin Petrel, ~20-24" cable depending on how large you are, and keep a bungee wrapped around your arm to use the computer in the event you're diving OC.

The Nerd is a love or hate relationship. I am with Grantcobin on this one. Stick with the Petrel 4 pin.

But really if you can afford a KISS plus all the training and consumables why not just buy a used Perdix/Petrel standalone to use in conjunction with your Perdix for OC diving and just have your Petrel that is dedicated to your KISS.

Disconnecting your Petrel and wrapping the cord around your arm for OC diving seems like it would be very annoying also maybe its just Fischer PTSD as I know the 4pin connection is much better but still I just don't like the idea of messing around with computer connectors all the time if your switching back and forth between OC and CC

Fischer cables are not as bad as all that.
My wife and i have been diving KISS units since 2007 with Fischer cables and yet we still live. Sure they have their issues but with a little mineral oil and canned air they do just fine. I've replaced a few cables over the years but they never outright failed. Keep a spare handy. Last year i replaced a fischer cable on my Sprit during the surface interval between two dives!

Fischer cables are not as bad as all that.
My wife and i have been diving KISS units since 2007 with Fischer cables and yet we still live. Sure they have their issues but with a little mineral oil and canned air they do just fine. I've replaced a few cables over the years but they never outright failed. Keep a spare handy. Last year i replaced a fischer cable on my Sprit during the surface interval between two dives!
Anyone buying one new is doing a disservice to themselves, and anyone selling one or something with one is uneducated or negligent. “Their issues” can be largely removed with…a four pin cable.

Bought an used, but well conserved predator and keep it dedicated to SW.
Keep my perdix as backup for both the SW and inspiration, as well as the rare OC.
Was a no brainer for me as i already have the predator when bought the Sidewinder

Hello all. I currently have a Shearwater AI and a non-tech backup computer that I want to replace. My dilemma is that I want to purchase a computer that will work with the Kiss Sidewinder bacause i plan to purchase one next year. I was considering a NERD with four pin connector but I am concerned that the NERD wouldn't be usefull for open circuit diving which is what I need it for now. My other thought was a Shearwater Petrel 2 with four pin connector. With the Petrel i was thinking i could use that for cave and deco diving and it would also be a good computer for the Sidewinder. I think i could just put a small section of cable on the Petrel 2 and wrap it around my wrist if it doesn't have a cap... Any advice is greatly appreciated.
The NERD is a terrible choice for OC diving. Find yourself a used standalone predator for $400 or petrel for $500 and that's your OC computer and backup on CCR. You're good to go now and years to come.

When you get to the time and place and budget to buy a CCR then look into what you want and a monitor for the unit you actually want. I would not recommend a sidewinder as your first CCR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom