Sidemount off of a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm fairly new to sidemounting, but absolutely love it... and will never go back to strapping the tank to my back. That said, when diving from a boat what is the recommended way of getting in... or at least what people think is best?

I'm thinking that it would be best to strap both in, and giant stride with the tanks under my armpits. I use ring bungees so I'm not worried about the bungee freeing up when hitting the water. Thoughts, suggestions, and warnings?

I know that when I'm down South I'm going to get a lot of strange looks and reactions anyways, so I'd rather not piss of the operator and ask them to hand me a bottle when I get in.

Last question... what about rolling off the boat when you've got a butt plate? Does it not get in the way and make it difficult? Suggestions, tips, tricks here as well...

Cheers!!
m

I dove SM off a boat all last week. They were all drift dives so I kitted up completely before getting in. A giant stride off the back and I was good to go. I waited to put the bungees across the tank valves until in the water, as to not stretch them out unnecessarily.

I think conditions seem to be how i play it. Calm seas i like to be clipped tops and back hop in and neat up bungies then have stages passed down or unclip them from down line. Rough or drift i'll tend to have it all ready clipped in and hop with it all then spend a bit doing a checks or repositioning floating on top before heading down. Lake diving from boat i tend to hop in with left side on and clipped cause its got the neck bungie then have the right handed down or grab from down line, just cause the boats are smaller and seems easier. Lake shore diving it all gets tied off to rail or down line and I put all on in the water. Never done a roll over w/ it but if had to I think i'd go with just one and have the other handed over.

I did my first sidemount dives off a boat earlier today. Easy-peasy, actually. I was diving steel LP77's, which weren't particularly heavy ... so I just clipped in, stepped off the boat and went diving. I did notice that it's easier putting the bungees on once you're in the water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dove SM last summer in the Keys using LP steel 95s. I geared up on the boat and jumped in. It was a non event. During some wreck penetration, I had to turn sideways to go thru some doorways which was a PITA. Also,after surfacing from a drift deco when the boat was not immediately available, it was difficult to keep my face out of the water. The weight and positioning of the tanks tended to put my face in the water. So I just put my head back in the way and used my reg. Next time, I will use doubles. However, it may be different with other size or aluminum tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom