Si-Tec Dry Glove Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beezwax:
"Woah, about a nine on the tension scale there Rube..."

If I was having trouble with a piece of gear and someone said there was a better piece of gear, I would most certainly ignore it....just me I guess. To restate my answer to the OP: I used saliva/water to snap on the gloves, which worked well except when it didn't and leaked, which was 50% of the time. I guess I really didnt know what I was doing with this product so you should just ignore my input....

I totally concur.

rjack321:
Despite the directions admonishments not to, I use silicon on the o-rings every couple months. Then spit before each dive.

When dry, the o-rings tend to "roll" and then leak.

If you have the system that attaches to latex wrist seals be careful not to get any silicon on the latex. It won't harm it but the suit side ring can slip off if the latex gets lubed.

To put the gloves on you need to push them on evenly all the way around, not the least bit crooked. Then dip your hand into the water as a leak check.

I have more experience than most with the Si-Tech ring system, and I would have written just about the same as rjack here, if he already hadn't. -So I will have to be happy to just second him with what he's telling you.

During my first 5 dives, 3 went straight to h*ll, in 34F water just to make the point stronger... The o-rings will likely roll if they are dry, and that means leaks. At first I though the little "pop" sound was the ok-sound, but it wasn't. It was the o-ring getting out of it's track.

It works ok with saliva, but not only do you look silly, but it tends to freeze or dry up before you get the gloves on properly. At least in dry gloves conditions... So after advice I started putting on a little silicone grease. -I said A LITTLE!!! So after my first 5 dives I've had 131 dives with the system, WITH silicone grease on the o-rings, and not even a drop of water inside my gloves. Not once have they been near "popping off" either, as some people scared me with in the beginning. So I think I'll stick with my current procedure for now. You guys do what you want, and be welcome to repeat the mistakes of others to make up your own mind. Nothing to it! :wink:

jepuskar:
Originally Posted by beezwax

I guess I really didnt know what I was doing with this product so you should just ignore my input....

I totally concur.

That's mildly clever Jep, although I will decline to rise to your bait. In fact I usually enjoy your posts because they are often jesting and help to diffuse the tension in threads that get too heated. However, your jibes are somewhat hypocritical here, since you were just complaining about posts that have no beneficial input....

KOMPRESSOR:
During my first 5 dives, 3 went straight to h*ll, in 34F water just to make the point stronger... The o-rings will likely roll if they are dry, and that means leaks. At first I though the little "pop" sound was the ok-sound, but it wasn't. It was the o-ring getting out of it's track.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me (same temp water even)-- I heard the *pop* sound too.... well, now I know what the problem was. I'm glad you solved that mystery for me. I'm still sticking with the dry glove system I have now, since I have about 75 trouble-free dives on them so far, even though talking about them bruises Jep's inner child.

No more wit from the jepustulant one? Perhaps I've bruised his outer child too. I do expect to find something charmingly irreverent and yet ever so germane and helpful once the kiddies heal.

Earwax,

You admit it was user error that caused the leaking. So why push another product when the original is just fine? Especially when it distracts from the useful input that KOMPRESSOR has given us.

Rot, I'm aight...

Can I interest you in a new car? Ohh my bad...you didnt ask for a new car..u just wanted to know how I was doing.

Jep you've picked a fight that you can't win, and I think you know it. Earwax? Was it really that easy to back you into a corner? I'll humor you though and examine your latest bit of critical analysis....

What has been called user error, demurely on my part and antagonistically on yours, can more truthfully be called a design flaw. I followed all of the instructions for using the smurf gloves, and yet they repeatedly leaked on me. If this was indeed the result of the o-ring popping out of its channel, where exactly did I go wrong? In point of fact, Kompressor's very helpful advice for overcoming this problem goes directly against the manufacturer's instructions, which clearly state NOT to use silicone grease. So again, in actuality, we're looking at a systemic failure-- a poor design that performs inadequately when used according to instructions-- not operator error.

And no, for obvious reasons, I don't feel this product is "just fine." That's why I offered the comments that I did about the other glove system. But even if the smurf gloves did work for me I would still have offered my two cents on the Amron system because IMHO it is better. Your logic falls flat for multiple reasons. Why drive to work when your donkey cart will get you there just fine?

If you go back a read this thread from the start it is evident that you are the one who came out swinging. You couldn't have known how badly you were outclassed of course and for that error in judgment you may be forgiven. But the seeds of surliness here are yours alone, so take a pill and get back to your corner.

Ohhh dear, you have a lot to learn. You just spent four paragraphs on a rebuttal to me.....LOL.

I think you have been had. I really don't care what glove system you use or for that matter what you recommend to others.

Hey kids, don't make me turn this car around!!

I have this system and I've had leaks on 2 out of 3 attempts. How do you know if the o-ring has rolled or not? Is it just a sudden release of resistance when putting the glove on? Does it stay rolled and out of the groove once you pull the glove back off so you know that was the issue?

I've been licking the rings before donning and didn't really find the gloves that hard to put on. But my left hand has been wet consistently. Right is fine and I can't seem to narrow it down so far.

Back
Top Bottom