Si-Tec Dry Glove Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelp68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have these gloves. I like them, but I've had mixed results trying to put them on.

I've read that some people just put some saliva along the o-ring. Others say to put nothing. Some have mentioned some silicone grease or wax.

If someone wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate knowing whether there is a consensus on what works best for putting these on so they just snap into place easily. Any tricks or thoughts about this?

Thanks.

Michael

Despite the directions admonishments not to, I use silicon on the o-rings every couple months. Then spit before each dive.

When dry, the o-rings tend to "roll" and then leak.

If you have the system that attaches to latex wrist seals be careful not to get any silicon on the latex. It won't harm it but the suit side ring can slip off if the latex gets lubed.

To put the gloves on you need to push them on evenly all the way around, not the least bit crooked. Then dip your hand into the water as a leak check.

I have done about 30 dives with my system and the first 25 or so I didnt use anything....every now and then the o-ring would roll and I would get some leakage. I would correct this at the surface and then dive.

Now I just lick my finger a couple times and just apply that wetness to the o-ring all the way around. A real light coating...havent had the leaking problem yet.

J

Some people swear by these gloves, but I hated them. I used them for six dives last January and got flooded three times due to the rings not sealing. It was probably operator error somehow but I only used water/saliva on the o-rings, never grease. Anyway I changed to the system available from Amron (www.amronintl.com) which is half the price, easier to use, and has fewer fail points. Order two sets of cuff rings (inner is part #960-411, outer is part #960-412) for $48 (also made by Si-Tech by the way) and a set of heavy duty latex gloves (part #960-413, 418, or 419 depending on your size) for $14.50 and you're all set.

It is soo annoying when people ask for help on a certain product and members trying to sell them on another product.....it really is. It's like asking about Regulator A and then someone saying...Regulator A sucks...you should go with regulator B.

If you dont have input to benefit the question then dont post, unless you are trolling then that is ok.

Never heard of greasing or wetting the o-rings. The only time mine have ever rolled the o-ring was when I didn't put them on evenly or I managed to get my liner caught in the seal. It's not easy to get them on evenly by yourself so now I have my buddy help me and haven't had a leak since.
Ber :lilbunny:

michaelp68:
I have these gloves. I like them, but I've had mixed results trying to put them on.

I've read that some people just put some saliva along the o-ring. Others say to put nothing. Some have mentioned some silicone grease or wax.

If someone wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate knowing whether there is a consensus on what works best for putting these on so they just snap into place easily. Any tricks or thoughts about this?

Thanks.

Michael

Lick 'em. Anything oily you put on the o-ring will just collect gunk.

R..

jepuskar:
It is soo annoying when people ask for help on a certain product and members trying to sell them on another product.....it really is. It's like asking about Regulator A and then someone saying...Regulator A sucks...you should go with regulator B.

If you dont have input to benefit the question then dont post, unless you are trolling then that is ok.

"Woah, about a nine on the tension scale there Rube..."

If I was having trouble with a piece of gear and someone said there was a better piece of gear, I would consider that helpful, constructive info....just me I guess. To restate my answer to the OP: I used saliva/water to snap on the gloves, which worked well except when it didn't and leaked, which was 50% of the time. PM me if you'd like me to sell you on a different piece of gear....

beezwax:
If I was having trouble with a piece of gear and someone said there was a better piece of gear, I would consider that helpful, constructive info....just me I guess.

Not just you. I like hearing that kind of feedback too. What I don't like is people who have nothing good to say about gear they've never tried. At least you tried it and decided you didn't like it.

I'd say on your 50% success rate that you were doing somthing wrong.... maybe something with the liners.

R..

Diver0001:
Not just you. I like hearing that kind of feedback too. What I don't like is people who have nothing good to say about gear they've never tried. At least you tried it and decided you didn't like it.

I'd say on your 50% success rate that you were doing somthing wrong.... maybe something with the liners.

R..

Yeah I would agree, which is why (in addition to offering a tip on what I feel is an altogether easier, cheaper, better system) I mentioned that some people do swear by these and that it was probably operator error on my part. I don't think it had anything to do with the liners-- I made sure that they were not folded into the cuffs preventing a proper seal. I also checked the gloves themselves of course-- no holes, so it was definitely leaking at a seal. My best guess on the failures is this: this system has an inner and outer ring on both the glove end and the wrist seal end...on the wrist seal end there is nothing to gauge how far to tuck the inner ring in, and I suspect that I may have had it too close to the opening, preventing the glove cuff from completely seating. This is only speculation after the fact though...on the other hand, the system I switched to has only one inner/outer cuff set on the wrist seals and then latex gloves that you just pull on over them (i.e. half as mainy potential failure points and avoids the problem I just described completely) so it's faster, simpler, and half the price. Thought I'd be doing folks a favor by mentioning it since the smurf gloves are apparently not working smoothly for the OP either....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom