Show me your mount!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1" aluminum flatbar, a piece of 2" aluminum flatbar, stainless screws & nyloc nuts from Home Depot, $10.00
Bicycle contoured handlebar grips from Walmart $7.00
I'm working on purchasing 2 LED lights to mount on it also.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 3,968
Gold's Gym Jumprope Handles from Walmart ($7.00). 1/4" X 1" X 4' aluminium bar ($13.00) only used 18" (3 - 6" pieces). Stainless Steel nuts, screws and quick link ($12.00). GoPro tripod mount ($8.00). A little bit of sawing, drilling and filing = Lightweight, stable, and collapsible mount for my new GoPro for about $40.00. Tray 1a.jpgTray 2a.jpgTray 3a.jpgTray 4a.jpgTray 5a.jpgTray 6a.jpg

Gold's Gym Jumprope Handles from Walmart ($7.00). 1/4" X 1" X 4' aluminium bar ($13.00) only used 18" (3 - 6" pieces). Stainless Steel nuts, screws and quick link ($12.00). GoPro tripod mount ($8.00). A little bit of sawing, drilling and filing = Lightweight, stable, and collapsible mount for my new GoPro for about $40.00. View attachment 120027View attachment 120028View attachment 120029View attachment 120030View attachment 120031View attachment 120032

you have to love those gold gym handle :wink: i used them on mine to, you can put the weight that come with in them OR put stuff the floats to control the buoyancy.

Hey Marty - Normally I wouldn't recommend using a CY color correcting filter with lights for the most part. Your introducing Red back into the color spectrum with artificial light and additional Red with the CY filter. But hey let's test and see what it looks like. Heck, it's another reason to get wet. LOL

I am very interested to see how the Shallow water does with lights. Look forward to seeing your tests.

My deeper boat dives got cancelled thanks to our predictably bad weather lol.

I did do a short dive to about 10m with a cy filter and a clear filter using all my lights, 2x sola 500s and 2x TUSA 300s. The vis was crap but surprisingly even the CY filter with lights had no issues and the cameras auto WB did a pretty good job. Vis was down to 1m with the strong northerlies that cancelled our boat dives wiping out this side of Port Philip bay too. Nothing of interest was in the video as I was lucky enough just to see my dive buddy lol and a couple of pier pylons a few centimeters before I would have hit them.

So we traveled across to good old Flinders pier which is sheltered from these conditions and tried the swcy filter with lights, I did do this side by side and will post the raw video comparison soon but here is a short edit all except the first shot jumping in the water was with the swcy filter. All 4 lights were on for most of these shots (i made a basic diffuser for the TUSA lights to smooth out the light) and the filter caused no issues with the lights surprisingly. Some sections got a little red and so some correction is done in this edit but the raw video will show both clear lens and filter unedited.

[video=youtube;XglUQnV_ZMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglUQnV_ZMk[/video]

Here is a pic of the Setup I used here :D

20120402122918.jpg

Quick and easy and doubles as a tripod (or quadropod)

Threw this together in literally 10 mins with $10 from home depot. Will be checking its use and buoyancy characteristics in the pool this week. Used 0.5 inch piping with T and 90 degree angle joints and for the metal base used half of a door hinge. Holes drilled will double to allow water to fill the tubes and can be used to attach screws as weights as needed. Folds flat for travel. Doesnt leave much options for attaching lights but will likely be used for shallow reefs with filter

photo 3.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 5.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Gold's Gym Jumprope Handles from Walmart ($7.00). 1/4" X 1" X 4' aluminium bar ($13.00) only used 18" (3 - 6" pieces). Stainless Steel nuts, screws and quick link ($12.00).

I don't have my GoPro stuff yet (it's ordered) but I was going to try and make this. Can you tell me about the bolts? metric or standard? what size, etc? I don't have the hardware yet to take with me and match up. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron Moses

---------- Post added April 16th, 2012 at 08:00 AM ----------

Gold's Gym Jumprope Handles from Walmart ($7.00). 1/4" X 1" X 4' aluminium bar ($13.00) only used 18" (3 - 6" pieces). Stainless Steel nuts, screws and quick link ($12.00). GoPro tripod mount ($8.00). A little bit of sawing, drilling and filing = Lightweight, stable, and collapsible mount for my new GoPro for about $40.00. View attachment 120027View attachment 120028View attachment 120029View attachment 120030View attachment 120031View attachment 120032

Also - I see the little quick link you have on it. I assume you attach it to your BC somehow so that you don't lose the setup if you drop it? Do you use some type of strap or something to hook it to you?

These camera's do not have an LCD display as standard. So do you purchase that? And if not, then how do you see what it is you are trying to video tape?

Have you had an opportunity to try out your mount? I am wondering how well the one hand operation is?
How did you attach the tripod mount to the pvc cap?
Thanks,

I had a piece of 3/8" acrylic in the garage. All I had to buy was some SS hardware and the weighted jump rope ($10 @ Target) for the handles. Cool thing is, the handles unscrew from the caps and are hollow. I left the weights in- might make it easier to keep steady while shooting and I can set it up on the bottom and it is def going to stay put.

a693481a-0da3-aac9.jpg

a693481a-0dc4-fd8e.jpg

This is my ghetto "goodman" mount. I just got my gopro and bought the outdoor edition. Then I read that putting on your head is a stupid idea.
So the I modded the other helmet mount to fit on top of my can light-head.
Then I read that's a bad idea too.

So, being off on a dive holiday in a couple of days, and not having a suitable mount, I made one up courtesy of a Dive-Rite "Soft" goodman handle (i.e elastic strap), the shipping mount, and a little time with a dremel.

Note: if anyone else has used a dremel on these things, what cutting bit did you find the best? All the ones I tried seemed to melt the plastic or jump around too much.

handle-1.jpghandle-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom