Show me your mount!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anybody mounted a GoPro to the top of a mask? Is this a good or bad idea? I have other equipment for taking detail pictures so this would just be to document the dive.

I have used the head strap with a modified chin strap and it works like a charm...... IF you don't care about being in the shot

If you want to use a head strap and be in the shot, put it on your dive buddy :wink: Your buddy is meant to be keeping an eye on you and filming a full dive with a head-cam on them will show you how good a buddy you've got and if you may need someone else next time lol. One of my videos my buddy was pissed because he thought I never looked at him during the dive but I showed him the video and he was shocked, Ive got to say though its not easy being a great dive buddy when you have 50 odd sharks swimming around you that keep your attention pretty well.

You could try some angles with the chesty mount, I haven't tried it underwater yet but I think having this looking up at you could create an interesting shot possibly. I generally prefer to stay out of the shots as I don't wont to ruin them with my head :D but I did sneak it into some of my videos.

Even a tray or mono-pod mount is pretty easy to turn around and get a mugshot if your that way inclined.

When I was still using my original Hero, I attached it to the end of one of those cheap collapsible aluminum poles that you can mount small cameras on. I used it somewhat effectively to take self-portrait shots in various locales (but you'd always note an arm going off-frame in most photos or the pole itself :D )

cathedral.jpg

briarrabbit.jpg

When I upgraded to the Hero2, I read about how the use of the somewhat larger Hero in a housing equipped with a small flat lens could lead to cracking. I used this as an impetus to DIY my own tray and arms. I had an old camera housing which I salvaged the port from:

IMG_0706.jpg

Then I scrounged up an old reel which donated parts for a goodman handle:

P1010737.jpg

Threw them all together along with some cheapo gorilla-pod arms and old lights which I put some Cree XML-T6 modules in:

IMG_0708.jpg

End result is a lens wherein I can opt to mount macro lenses and such. And all at a nominal cash-outlay - basically just for the light modules because everything else I used was in my junk bin :D

Screenshot2012-03-15at74709PM.jpg

DTD,

Can you share some more about your experience with this?

I am struggling with trying to consistently apply the same strategy. While I ordered the Backscatter customized underwater housing with the flat glass port and color lenses and it is working great with regards to focus, I am struggling with how to best mount it close to my line of site. So far, I have been using the head strap. Its angle and view it exactly what I want but I find that it interferes with the mask strap and chin straps haven't helped much with stability. I saw a diver out at the Carolina Coast with it mounted on a helmet but didn't get much of a chance to examine it closer.

Have you seen any other mounts or ideas for hands-free capture?

I am going to Bonaire in a couple of weeks so I hope to experiment with it and get it fine tuned. Any more lessons learned or feedback on your experience with it so far would be appreciate.

Cya,

Randy

(walmart adjustable weight golds gym jump rope handles + 1/4 " polycarbonate + stainless steels bolts/nuts + gopro tripod mount) (1.5 hours of build time) = fully customizable inexpensive camera tray....

2012-03-21221220.jpg

2012-03-21221157.jpg

@ Doc Ed - I'm a vintage diver as well! Love the yellow hose. Was unable to tell what type of reg you were divng...

@Ermaclob - Nice design... Kind of reminds me of the SRP Camera Tray, lol

118461d1331683086-show-me-your-mount-32181205.jpg

Here's what I've done to my mask to mount my camera. I'm using a Contour camera, so the mounts are different from GoPro.

IMAG0316.jpg IMAG0317.jpg IMAG0318.jpg

I haven't actually tried it out yet. Previously I had it mounted to the strap of the mask, but that proved to be too wobbly. The strap doesn't actually sit against your head, so it keeps wobbling around, and the camera was in the way of the bubbles so it kept wobbling around wildly. I hope this method works out better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom