Shoutout to Costamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years back I was lucky enough to meet Dr. Gomez at a scuba event outside the convention center. I was curious and asked him what type of dives, did he see, as the leading cause of DCI. He was very forthcoming and told me that in most cases the diver was not diving outside NDL limits. He stated, as I have often heard previously, that dehydration and stress was the most common cause. He also offered the observation that very often it occurs on the first dive of a trip due to the stress and dehydration of travel.

Reactions: jas
Sorry to hear this happened to you Lynne. Hope you are back in the water soon.

Would you mind telling us what dive computer or algorithm you use?

I use an Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. I don't know what algorithm it uses but I believe it is very conservative.

Several years back I was lucky enough to meet Dr. Gomez at a scuba event outside the convention center. I was curious and asked him what type of dives, did he see, as the leading cause of DCI. He was very forthcoming and told me that in most cases the diver was not diving outside NDL limits. He stated, as I have often heard previously, that dehydration and stress was the most common cause. He also offered the observation that very often it occurs on the first dive of a trip due to the stress and dehydration of travel.

That makes a lot of sense. Our first dive was Sunday. Saturday was a long travel day from Richmond, Va. My first dive was a bit stressful. I just got a new wet suit and it is much more buoyant than my old wetsuit (which seems to have shrunk:)). Took a while to get the proper weighting and I was worried about holding everyone up. As a result I was overweighted for the first dive.

Our DM said that often this occurs on the first day but is cumulative and doesn't show up until later. I did some reading yesterday since I had plenty of time:(. This is more common with older women (I'm 58) with a more generous profile. I am a bit over weight but not by much.

What did the treatment entail?

Mainly rest. I was advised not to dive for the remainder of the trip. Stay out of the sun and rest, no strenuous activity.

This morning, Friday, two days after the onset of symptoms the rash is fading.

I believe the Pro Plus 2.1 runs the oceanic DSAT algorithm which is one of the least conservative (most liberal) algorithms in a recreational dive computer. But the debate over liberal verses conservative algorithms real does not matter provided you are not diving at or near the displayed NDL for an extended period. From your description it does not sound as if you were diving in such a manner. Did Costamed download your computer and look at your profile?

I use an Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. I don't know what algorithm it uses but I believe it is very conservative.
The Pro Plus 2.1 runs the DSAT decompression algorithm, one of the most liberal

Edit: sorry, typing as ^ @gopbroek was posting

The Pro Plus 2.1 runs the DSAT decompression algorithm, one of the most liberal

Edit: sorry, typing as ^ @gopbroek was posting

Wow! I did not know that. When I got it 6 years ago the primary reason was the size of the screen. My aging eyes had a hard time with smaller type.

I believe the Pro Plus 2.1 runs the oceanic DSAT algorithm which is one of the least conservative (most liberal) algorithms in a recreational dive computer. But the debate over liberal verses conservative algorithms real does not matter provided you are not diving at or near the displayed NDL for an extended period. From your description it does not sound as if you were diving in such a manner. Did Costamed download your computer and look at your profile?

They did not. I had it with me in case they wanted to review it.

For most of recreational divers this is true. But for divers with a tendency to rash the computer algorithm is probably the most important factor.

Mainly rest. I was advised not to dive for the remainder of the trip. Stay out of the sun and rest, no strenuous activity.

This morning, Friday, two days after the onset of symptoms the rash is fading.
That's good to hear. A couple of times I have had what, in retrospect, sounds like mild skin bends. Both times it was shortly after the last dive of the trip, so I didn't do any more diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom