Shoutout to Costamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had occasion to use DAN for the first time when several hours after diving I developed breast pain and a skin rash. DAN suggested the symptoms sounded like skin bends and recommended I be checked out by Costamed. While I'm unhappy with a confirmation of the diagnosis, Costamed and Dr. Gomez were wonderful!

It is a very mild case and no chamber time was necessary. I was seen very quickly. Dr. Gomez was very thourough and explained the condition completely. I had never heard of skin bends. Can't say enough about the professionalism of the facility and staff!

Would love to hear more details. Were you treated as an outpatient or did you stay in the hospital?
Did they accept DAN as payment or?
Not sure where Costamed is. Is it the same as the international hospital between melgat and avenue 5?
Thanks for any information, always interested in these.

I was treated as an out patient. I expected to have to pay out of pocket and submit to DAN for reimbursement but they sent the paperwork directly to DAN. They are good distance from Melgar, Primera Sur 101, Adolfo Lopez Mateos.

DAN told me not to go to the international hospital. They said they have relationships with two hospitals but recommended Costamed. I don't remember the name of the second.

Hi @ljwillia

What kind of profile did you dive prior to your episode of skin bends? Was this different than other profiles you have done? Where were you regarding NDL?

Thanks, good diving, Craig

@scubadada

Hi Craig. There was nothing unusual about the profile of my dives. We were doing 2 dives/day and had finished our 8th dive. The first dive of each day was generally 70-74 feet max but we tended to stay around 60. Second dive was generally 60 max but stayed between 45-50.

Our second day I accidently went deeper than I had expected on our first dive. I was chasing a piece of trash that I finally caught at 106 ft. I quickly returned to a shallower depth but my nitrogen loading was higher than usual. Still within NDL. We had a 1 hour surface interval. Second dive that day also noticed my nitrogen loading bar was up. I ascended and stayed more shallow.

Days 3 and 4 were calm, beautiful dives and I purposely stayed more shallow. I have no idea what happened or why. No rapid ascents. Did full 3 min safety stops. Stayed well hydrated.

After lunch on day 4 I did a scubaboard search on "breast pain" and rash. I was sure I wouldn't find anything. It seemed like a ridiculous set of symptoms. Surprise! Surprise! I was seriously thinking of blowing off the symptoms. Glad I called DAN and went to Costamed. They said it was a classic prentation of skin bends. If I had kept my dive schedule today it could have gotten much worse.

I spent some time at Costa Med a couple years ago.
Very professional operation. The facility and services
were better than than my local hospital.

Sorry to hear this happened to you Lynne. Hope you are back in the water soon.

Would you mind telling us what dive computer or algorithm you use?

I was treated as an out patient. I expected to have to pay out of pocket and submit to DAN for reimbursement but they sent the paperwork directly to DAN.
What did the treatment entail?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom