Question Skin Rash with Raspberry Cysts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. The long sleeve rash guard was hung to dry. I have not put it on since. I only soaked my arm in very hot water and some vinegar when the arm started itching three days after the dive.

Best to wash that shirt too, just in case.

You said that you are currently using antibiotic cream, yes?

The lesions on the back of your hand and wrist look similar to a jelly fish sting. It could be that some transparent tentacles were caught up in your gear and you were stung while transporting, disrobing, and/or cleaning your gear after your dive.

The cnidocytes along the tentacle remain reactive well after a jellyfish is dead and even remain reactive well after a tentacle is separated from the body of a jellyfish and chopped up.

If your gear was damp and had remnants of tentacle on it and you hadled your gear a few days after your dive, you could have conceivably sustained the sting(s) that caused your lesions.

-Z
Possibly. I was wearing gloves but have sting marks on my hands. Perhaps a minor stinging occurred while rinsing as you say after I had removed the gloves. A tentacle washed down from the gear, hair or shirt. Delayed skin reaction. I had a few free-floating tentacles brush across my lips and neck over the years. Those are always fun while diving. It's just very weird how this manifested. I should have felt some stinging.

Best to wash that shirt too, just in case.

You said that you are currently using antibiotic cream, yes?
Yes. I'm using Neosporin Antibiotic ointment. I cleaned the arm and took the pictures. However, I have plenty applied over the affected areas.

That is indeed contact dermatitis and virtually impossible to determine cause just by the appearance. Given that you were covered during the dive did you perhaps do another activity over the last several days besides diving that may have exposed you to poison oak/ivy or something similar?

Is the dark area where you squeezed? (BTW, don’t do that). If not it might be the black spots one can occassional see with urushiol dermatitis.

That is indeed contact dermatitis and vertually impossible to determine cause just by the appearance. Given that you were covered during the dive did you perhaps do another activity over the last several days besides diving that may have exposed you to poison oak/ivy or something similar?

Is the dark area where you squeezed? (BTW, don’t do that). If not it might be the black spots one can occassional see with urushiol dermatitis.
OMG Mr Sherlock Holmes, Yes! I was in a forest in Canada a week ago. The papules and blistering looks just like other photos. I had no immediate stinging at the time, just tingling and itching a few days later. I'm relived to know the cause. Here I was blaming the ocean. SORRY

Even so, keep using the antibiotic cream and see a doctor.

Back
Top Bottom