Advice needed! Fire coral rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might try an over the counter anti allergy drug called
Zyrtec. That looks bad. I generally try to stay fully covered up, even a thin rash guard provides a lot of protection

Thank you! Benadryl has helped with the itching.

K...

I got nipped in the USVI two years ago...I dropped to the bottom...grabbed a hand full of sand/coral dust...rubbed the area vigorously for a couple of minutes...other than a pencil thin red line which disappeared after two days...there was no other reaction...

There are numerous marine medical professional SB members...reach out...I'm sure they can offer some good advice...

There's lots to be said for full suits...hoods...and gloves...regardless of how warm the water is...

For hot beach destination dives...I cover-up a shorty with Carhartt bib overalls and a long sleeve rash-guard over top...

Best...

Warren

Warren,

I wish I was still in the BVIs and had access to the sand, would've been interesting to try. Thanks for the tips!

Spicy indian food and 2 red stripe/ironshore/dos equis

Not sure why it worked, but last time I got lit up by fire coral we went our for Indian food. Apparently, there may be a reason why this worked, beyond the beer making me care less;

"Capsaicin is a chili pepper extract with analgesic properties.Capsaicin is a neuropeptide releasing agent selective for primary sensory peripheral neurons. Used topically, capsaicinaids in controlling peripheral nerve pain."

Who knew?

How strange! Worth giving it a try. Thank you!

I've had it flare up a couple of times though mine rashes are more often from hydroids than fire coral. So far, I've never had any discoloration or residual scarring unrelated to overly enthusiastic scratching.

Thank you for your comment. How long does it normally take to disappear completely? If I do not scratch it, will there be any scarring or discoloration in your experience?

It took at least 2 weeks to go away and possibly longer...didn't leave any scars or marks.

FWIW my doctor prescribed a topical cream that provided relief. It still took a couple of weeks to go away. It did come back briefly weeks later. I think the little tiny stingers stayed in there and must have re-emerged or re-irritated me. Anyway that passed within a week and was much less in severity. Nothing since then which was about a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom