Fire coral sting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've become increasingly sensitive to both poison ivy and fire coral with each exposure. My reaction to fire coral started as nothing but grew really intense a week later (red welts that itch like crazy). Hydrocortisone cream and benadryl did nothing, and after two weeks I went to the doctor when I was scratching so hard I thought I was going to rip my flesh. Was given a shot of methylprednisolone and benadryl and had immediate relief. He also gave me an Rx for oral prednisolone with instructions to reduce the dosage over the next week. The itching never came back and the redness, swelling, and welts were noticeably down the next day, and gone after a week.

Each person's reaction to allergens can be wildly different. And remember that the "sting" comes from barely visible hairs extending out from the hard surface of the fire coral; you don't need to smash into it, a light brush is more than enough.

Agree, call DAN for a doctor referral. I've had the stings and treated with vinegar and any residual effect was treatable with a corticosteroid cream. That said,I've an acquaintance that had a reaction more like yours, and it spread and spread. Don't wait to contact DAN. At the very least get in to see a dermatologist and bring along the info on the fire coral neurotoxin. Best of luck.
Chilly's right. After the initial sting resolves, think of it as similar to a poison oak/ivy reaction if you have ever seen that. Symptoms should resolve within about three weeks even without any treatment. Even a systemic reaction (symptoms remote to the sting site), infection or prolonged inflammation would not last this long unless you developed a keloid or prolonged hypertrophic scarring from the injury.

No reason you can't start with your regular doctor. They can even contact DAN to discuss it if needed. Getting checked by a dermatologist is even better. And IMO its good if they dive but not really necessary. This is an injury from a marine creature but not really a dive injury per se. No need for them to be familar with dive physiology to diagnosis and treat the issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice to see a doctor... I obviously know about this option without Scuba board (the problem is that doctors don't know much about this stuff since it's so specialized). I wrote here specifically to find out how long it took other people for the stings to heal, and if they applied any medication.
did you call DAN???

I've become increasingly sensitive to both poison ivy and fire coral with each exposure. My reaction to fire coral started as nothing but grew really intense a week later (red welts that itch like crazy). Hydrocortisone cream and benadryl did nothing, and after two weeks I went to the doctor when I was scratching so hard I thought I was going to rip my flesh. Was given a shot of methylprednisolone and benadryl and had immediate relief. He also gave me an Rx for oral prednisolone with instructions to reduce the dosage over the next week. The itching never came back and the redness, swelling, and welts were noticeably down the next day, and gone after a week.

Each person's reaction to allergens can be wildly different. And remember that the "sting" comes from barely visible hairs extending out from the hard surface of the fire coral; you don't need to smash into it, a light brush is more than enough.

I just returned from the BVI and have both arms hit with fire coral. It has been 6 days now and it looks as though I have a horrible case of poison ivy. First I used the vinegar in the islands but now I am using the cortisone. It is so annoying and uncomfortable but hopefully it will begin to heal. I feel as though it has spread so I will give it one more week then make a trip to the doctor. I was doing an ascending stop from a 80' wreck dive and got stung holding on to the line. Thanks for the info.

I'm sorry to hear about your Fire Coral experience. It wasn't until a week after I returned that my case got really nasty and began to drive me crazy. Topical lotions with hydrocortisone and benadryl did little, but a trip to the Urgent Care center (on a Sunday) and a shot made all the difference. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom