Should the hunting forum be a closed/club forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octopus1.jpg

Everyone needs to go diving!!

Depends on what part of the globe your on, In europe they just cut a leg off an octo cause they just grow back. Here in the PNW these huge giants become your dive buddy, three weeks ago I decided to cut a leg off in the san juan isl, funny thing this huge giant new excatly what was going to transpire, The bigger they are the smarter they are.
Although I can handle them his instant attack on me told me this was going to be a fight I speared a urchin with my knife and shoved in his eye then mangled it on the boulders the squeeze went away then he released me.

In italy there little fully grown, They cling to the ceiling in the caves and dont seem to mind a leg sliced off.
I guess I'll have to try It to a little one here and observe him to see how it grows and when it grows back cut another one off and so on. With the hopes he will be use to it.

AWE!!! says the PNW divers The fishing rules clearly instruct that Octopus to be caught by hands or a instrument (my dive knife) which will not penertrate the octo, Except fishing with a pole or something like that. Yes I know, I'm not killing the octo nor taking it from the sea.
Roland andersen does a octopus count for the PWN, the divers are at known dive spots,
there not even close to how many octos are out there. There count is a divesite reef count. These are the reasons people whine about about taking octo's, And there are plenty of fish in the sea. Commercial fishing is the problem.
Anybody that post a picture and gives location is the one to blame, Indian fisherman/divers, or american fisherman/divers use these boards so not to waste there time looking for a hot spot. If you remember the goeduck king and how he did his fishing practices, there are many more out there with the same fishing techniques as doug had.
Sport fisherman will will set anchor and tear up the reef artificial or natural, and divers post on the boards wanting to know what diver is responsible for tearing up are reefs.
HELLO OUT THERE, I watched sport fishermen check dungie traps and take there share.
They start at 3:00-4:00 in the morning so one sportfisherman had a rude awakening, My 10' inflatable dive boat has a huge four stroke on it, its fast on a calm sea, I gave him pictures of him and his boat while stealing crabs out of traps. It really did'nt help cause the next guy came along did the same thing. The thing that puzzels me is $40,000 boat, morage fee, fuel, They will always take a chance of getting caught.

So why in the world does anybody waste there time slamming spearfisherman when they post, is beyond me. I've been posting latley while filling tanks getting ready to go on the hunt. I spearfish everyday when I'm home. gotta ketch my slack tide.

Forum hasn't been closed in the 4+ years since the majority of the posts were made so I'd think it's a safe bet that it'll stay open.
That being said, I don't think that mixed groups (spearos/non-spearos) should be going out together. :no
I don't squirrel hunt in the city parks & avoid the "sightseeing area" dive sites for spearing. Outside of that nearly everything is a candidate for sleeping in my freezer. :crafty:

There is no danger of this forum becoming opt in. We are not considering it. The OP is from three years ago and was in response to a heated disagreement here. The non-hunter was asked to confine their disagreement to another area of our board. As I stated before, this is NOT the place to discuss the merits of hunting. This is the place to discuss the efficacy of certain modalities of hunting or to share your stories about the big one you fought. Thanks for your concern and I return you to your normally scheduled postings. :D

Hi I 've been diving 12 years now and am taking up spearing as a new adventure. I been around the world diving and studying reef ecology and photography and just getting bored with it. Hunting is a challenge and as with most hunters they are the true conservation people. If others have a hard spot then thats their problem!! Keep up the spearfishing posts.

In Norway uw-hunting, and then of course great sea food following almost every dive, is a tradition. Our neighbour country Sweden has laws against it. You cannot even take the occational flounder with your knife there. -Which I understand, since the Baltic Sea is so overfished and polluted that there aren't much marine life left. What's a bit annoying though is when I meet a certain type of divers from there who put morale into it, and speak of our ways of catching fish when diving as something barbaric. Well, not all of them luckily. Many Swedes ome to dive in Norway and enjoy our ways. But to try to buy and own a speargun in Sweden is a waste of time. It comes under the weapons laws, and you have to argue that you actually need one to get a permit. And since it is prohibited to catch fish when diving there, you don't need one, according to the government. So no permit!

Anyways, I enjoy posting pictures from diving on different forums. Even Swedish ones. Once I posted some pictures of a huge monkfish I got, in one Swedish forum. -And even one with my fiance holding a filet up in her arms. The latter was removed by the moderators because it upset some of the users on the forum! A picture of a fish filet!!! :D

We're all different. And that's funny most of the time! :14:

I think alot more people would post if they did not fear of being slammed for there post by nonhunters.

Personally I could care less what any non hunters think about my activities.

That said I really haven't seen much of the non hunters slamming hunters in this forum, it seems to take care of itself pretty well for the most part.

I would love to see a tank explode :D

I,ve been hunting long enough to hear all the B/S that is spewed by "non hunters". All I can say is not one has ever made a valid arguement against the sport.

I am prepared to answer any intelligent comment against us (spearfishermen/women).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom