Should the hunting forum be a closed/club forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro5:
Here we go again a moderator saying save the octopus on a hunting forum.

Who moderates the moderators?

I don't hunt octopus but come-on now you get to tell us what to take and not to take?
Don't you know politicians, religous leaders, and MOD's/Supervisors are above the rules!
Pugs a Supervisor. Don't know what that means but there is only 4-5 of them and probably 25 MOD's.

scubapro5:
Here we go again a moderator saying save the octopus on a hunting forum.

Who moderates the moderators?

I don't hunt octopus but come-on now you get to tell us what to take and not to take?
:sharks:Your missing the wry humor in the post since where he lives its not consiered a cool thing to take these animals. This is the same as our rule for diving sites - don't take the locals, there are plenty of transients to take home. I'm sure every place has their quirks and everyone has their own rules they follow.

Mods aren't above the TOS and we have no problem telling eachother if we crossed the line, unacceptable, or for that matter some have even taken time out. We're all volunteers here, we're all human, and we're all bound to make a mistake somewhere.. if we didn't we wouldn't be part of the moderating crew that makes this place enjoyable for so many people.
:outtahere:

Man I can't believe this!!! All this drama. I don't know Pug personally, though we hail from the same area. But i don't think he ever tries to intentionally slam, flame, or troll anyone's post. You know what? I hunt underwater and on land. My personal view- I don't and wish others didn't harvest Octopus. But I am a big boy and can handle that some choose to, and I can handle those who want to get on here and criticize or talk trash about any of my habits. Be it my tendancy to solo dive, hunting, or the DIR rig I wear. I have participated in alot of different forums, not just scuba related. I have yet to see a forum as bad as SB about "reporting posts" and Mods who are quick to jump in and pull something that might offend. For the most part, everyone is an adult- and if you can't handle the criticism or have the skill to successfully debate your cause then move on. I say keep the forum open, and loose the "report post" button while you're at it. People who are trully inflamatory find themselves isolated from the rest all on their own. We're all pretty smart on hear and can figure out, who, what and when we want to talk about something.

Yes, please close it. I don't want to read about how many Halibut you have in your freezer. Humans, such the scavengers.........

ShakaZulu:
... I don't want to read about how many Halibut you have in your freezer. ....
No halibut, just the obligitory venison along with bugs, conch & some caviar. :eyebrow:

Hey, how many closed or opt-in forums do we have here, besides the instructor?

I really hope ya'll don't decide to make this a closed forum. Until recently I WAS a underwater hunter hater, it made me very sad to see divers killing fish, but I had a great friend talk to me about this (and his mod here too) explaining to me that maybe I should re-think a few things. I love to fish and the only difference is I catch and release (I don't eat fish or lobster so I'd never personally take them) and spearfishing your actually more selective and it sure does seem like a lot of work.

I hate that there's so much animosty and drama over this entire thing. If you close this forum, someone may have the same belief as I did without ever having someone explaining it to them like CBulla did to me... Please leave it open, my husband wants to learn to spearfish and I'd love to be able to read different idea that you more expierenced hunters have...

Cheers,
Vickie

just my 02

QUETZAL:
Quote:He can't disagree with you on octopi?
Not according to this.
If you're here to complain about spearfishing or lobstering or any other kind of hunting underwater you've come to the wrong place.
Quote:Leave the Octo's alone they aren't hurting anyone and they aren't exactly blanketing the reef.
Thats not disagreing. Thats complaining, judgeing someone for asking a legt. question about harvesting a legal species.

If you see a big octopus sitting out of a hole like he's dazed and confused...blast him. He's going to die anyway. They grow up, mate once and die. Or so I've read. He's sitting there is a post coital bliss.

CBulla:
:sharks:Your missing the wry humor in the post since where he lives its not consiered a cool thing to take these animals. This is the same as our rule for diving sites - don't take the locals, there are plenty of transients to take home. I'm sure every place has their quirks and everyone has their own rules they follow.

Mods aren't above the TOS and we have no problem telling eachother if we crossed the line, unacceptable, or for that matter some have even taken time out. We're all volunteers here, we're all human, and we're all bound to make a mistake somewhere.. if we didn't we wouldn't be part of the moderating crew that makes this place enjoyable for so many people.
:outtahere:
Yeah I figured Rule #3 was humor but last night was probably not a good time for it coming from Pug. It was pretty heated hear last night.
SO, I'm not above the rules either.
Question for Speros only: Who thinks I was out of line and who thinks I was just standing up to a bunch of PETA's who were hijacking this board.

I thought it was pretty funny myself... :D But then I am sort of sick individual no matter how you slice the mustard.

As for "Standing UP", you really DON'T NEED to do that. If a post crosses the line (in either content or taste) just (stop me if you've heard this one already) use the (I really don't want to repeat myself) "Report this Post" link (but you are reading this anyway) which is (this is agonising, ain't it?) the exclamation mark (looky looky) at the bottom left (don't hit it for this thread) of every post. :D

However, if you invite non-divers in to read ANYTHING, then please be prepared to be boarded by all of those kelp hugging, octopus petting, the only thing we shoot are our cameras divers from the whole board. It's not nice to ask people to come into your house and then tell them to "shut up". :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom