Should Rename This Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
What I've observed here on the board is the BP/W user community is the passionate and vocal minority.

What you find is an abundance of posts titled, for example, "Opinions on a SeaQuest BC" and the first reply is "you would have to be an idiot to want one of those." Get a bp/w and instantly become a skilled diver. From there, the bp/w crowd chimes in and before you know it they are talking about which wing is the best. Like who cares, that wasn't the persons question.

There probably should be two forums. Across the scuba world I'd bet bp/w's are out sold 1000 to 1.

.....I have made the same observation. Out in the "world" I see jacket type bc's 10/1 over BP/W.

Use what you are comfortable and you will be a better diver.

My.02,

Dave

wet-willie:
I am going to have to copy this for later use. :) I have to get my dictionary out though. I dont know how to annoit or creole...
hehe... Just remember that you can write your own dictionary or even make stuff up if you have to. After all - its the internet!

blindref757:
Guess I ruffled Ken's feathers? Sorry buddy--I wasn't really intending to ***** and moan--just making a comment that there were a lot of BPW divers and I felt a little outcasted!!! Plus, it's just difficult to see good discussion about certain brands or BC systems, beacause every other posts is...don't buy that, get a BPW!!!

Carry on!

OMG, NO! I was just making fun of you because when I bought my BP/W set up it came with an instructionmanual and rule #3 was "allways poke fun at divers NOT wearing a BP/W". Oh oh, I don't think I was supposed to mention the manual, um, ok. Forget what I said.

Really, You should dive with whatever you want. If you like your jacket then so what? It's your dive and you have to be comfortable! Don't worry so much about what other people think.

Ken

blindref757:
To the BP/Wing Forum. Am I like the only diver in the world that isn't using a BPW Setup?

Nahhh It's just a ScubaBoard Illusion.

Nothing negative in what I'm saying here but this is a concentration of "thinking" divers. I was lucky, I ended up with a good BC (Sherwood Avid) that fits me well and it's serving me well for the diving that I have been doing. There may well be a BP&W in my future but I really don't know when I will make that move, I don't see doubles or tech in my future so I don't have a physical constraint driving me.

In the world of general recreational diving the Jacket/Vest configuration is dominant by far. Like it or not, good bad or indifferent.

Any well fit BCD will work well for single tank diving. As I have said before,"if more jacket BC divers put as much care and angst into selecting their rig as the BP/W divers there would be more happy jacket owners".

Pete

Don Janni:
Get a bp/w and instantly become a skilled diver.
Shoot! Mine must be broken.

Rick Inman:
Shoot! Mine must be broken.
Mine was definitely broken today ... spent 98 minutes running line and doing drills for a wreck workshop. After the dive, the debrief was almost as long as the dive ... and all we talked about was what we didn't do right ... :11:

I thought these BP/W thingies were supposed to make you the perfect diver ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I love reading these threads .As a relitivley new diver (1 year-30 dives) I always find valuable information here. I purchased all of my gear @ the LDS here in Montreal saving the BC decision untill now. Lots of convicing arguments for the BP/W option. Almost everyone I see dives with a vest. But never have I heard from a wing user who regrets thier making the switch.
So far ive been renting my vest. My LDS doesnt offer BP/W,s for rent. But you guys are very convincing. I think Im going to take the plunge but before I do ,a couple of questions. How does the weight system work with a BP/W and is it true that when your positively buoyant @ the surface, does a BP/w tend to make one float face down$

Plungebob:
I love reading these threads .As a relitivley new diver (1 year-30 dives) I always find valuable information here. I purchased all of my gear @ the LDS here in Montreal saving the BC decision untill now. Lots of convicing arguments for the BP/W option. Almost everyone I see dives with a vest. But never have I heard from a wing user who regrets thier making the switch.
So far ive been renting my vest. My LDS doesnt offer BP/W,s for rent. But you guys are very convincing. I think Im going to take the plunge but before I do ,a couple of questions. How does the weight system work with a BP/W and is it true that when your positively buoyant @ the surface, does a BP/w tend to make one float face down$

Hi PlugeBob,

It takes a few dives to get comfortable with the setup, but I do not have any face planting issues. Many non BP/W BCD's are also back inflate, but without the weight of the backplate behind you to help balance the wing. If it's an issue for you then you can also mount a little weight near the tank or use steel tanks (which I like for other reasons - less weight on the weight belt).

Speaking of weights - the backplate I use weighs 8 lbs, so that's that much less weight I need in a belt. I use a weight belt though mine has pockets and soft weights which makes it a little more comfortable. Some people use non-ditchable V weights which fit into the channel of the backplate. Halcyon (and probably others) make a ditchable weight pouch system if you prefer (though I think it's spendy for what you get).

I do suggest getting a basic BP/W instead of one of the fancied up cushioned harness / extra quick releases / etc versions. Halcyon really does make a decent product, as do oxycheq and DeepSeaSupply.

NWGratefulDiver:
Mine was definitely broken today ...

I thought these BP/W thingies were supposed to make you the perfect diver ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's only if they're sprinkled with special magical Scubaboard Dust (made from the ground cinders of Jacket BC wearers who have been flamed on this forum) :D

Seriously Scubaboard is not representative of the avarage equipment in use. On our last Oregon Scuba club dive I counted maybe 2 BP/W out of 11 divers. My buddy and I were fielding Transpac II's (Oh the heresy a pseudo BP/W :wink: ), and the remainder were jacket or back inflate BC's.

Back
Top Bottom