Should Rename This Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a jacket BC. I have tried a BP/W and it's fine. So is the jacket though. I would rather spend money on other things.
I don't feel like I haven't seen the light, or am in denial about anything.

They're both good systems for the diving that I do, which is in the ocean.

I will agree that there are a LOT of people on SB who use BP/W's and that it is largely disproportionate to the way other people dive. The highest percentage of people I see on dive boats in South Florida still use Jacket style BC's. On most dive boats that I've been on - with recreational divers - there may be 1 or 2 BP/W's - That percentage drastically changes when it's an SB trip though. :wink:

Guess I ruffled Ken's feathers? Sorry buddy--I wasn't really intending to ***** and moan--just making a comment that there were a lot of BPW divers and I felt a little outcasted!!! Plus, it's just difficult to see good discussion about certain brands or BC systems, beacause every other posts is...don't buy that, get a BPW!!!

Carry on!

Quarrior:
To me there are two types of jacket BC users.

Those that haven't seen the light yet.

Those that are to stubborn to admit that they have seen the light.

:D

Really?

Hmmm....I always thought that the most vocal ones were trying to solve skills issues with gear....

Frankly, unless you're tek diving the difference is marginal.

R..

blindref757:
To the BP/Wing Forum. Am I like the only diver in the world that isn't using a BPW Setup?
Why should it matter?

If it works for you, use it ... as long as you're diving, it's all good ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What I've observed here on the board is the BP/W user community is the passionate and vocal minority.

What you find is an abundance of posts titled, for example, "Opinions on a SeaQuest BC" and the first reply is "you would have to be an idiot to want one of those." Get a bp/w and instantly become a skilled diver. From there, the bp/w crowd chimes in and before you know it they are talking about which wing is the best. Like who cares, that wasn't the persons question.

There probably should be two forums. Across the scuba world I'd bet bp/w's are out sold 1000 to 1.

blindref757:
To the BP/Wing Forum. Am I like the only diver in the world that isn't using a BPW Setup?
you and mike veitch! hahahahaha

seriously though... i turned to the dark side last year... but have yet to buy my own rig, they do cost more than your regular jacket but the upper-bracket jackets make the cost of a bp/w look like chump change

but i've run into so many people while diving a bp/w who look at it strangely and go: "what is that????"...

Jag

howarde:
I use a jacket BC. I have tried a BP/W and it's fine. So is the jacket though. I would rather spend money on other things.
I don't feel like I haven't seen the light, or am in denial about anything.

They're both good systems for the diving that I do, which is in the ocean.

I will agree that there are a LOT of people on SB who use BP/W's and that it is largely disproportionate to the way other people dive. The highest percentage of people I see on dive boats in South Florida still use Jacket style BC's. On most dive boats that I've been on - with recreational divers - there may be 1 or 2 BP/W's - That percentage drastically changes when it's an SB trip though. :wink:

Ah, Howard, Buddha would be proud of you for taking the middle path. The BP/W people are not so inlighted, and will burn you at the stake.

Although, as you know, I have a BP/W with integrated weights and Quick disconnects, so I'm betting I would be first.

For the people who like to play with gear, a BP/W is great, for those that just like diving, not so much.

shugar:
you and mike veitch! hahahahaha

seriously though... i turned to the dark side last year... but have yet to buy my own rig, they do cost more than your regular jacket but the upper-bracket jackets make the cost of a bp/w look like chump change

but i've run into so many people while diving a bp/w who look at it strangely and go: "what is that????"...

Jag

Mike also wears free diver fins - because, and this is really hard to understand, he likes them. Oh, and they are not always black.

Puffer Fish:
Mike also wears free diver fins - because, and this is really hard to understand, he likes them. Oh, and they are not always black.
yeah... now that you mention it... but then again mike really is a strange creature... kind of like a platypus, ya' know... made up from excess parts and all

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom