Should I be worried???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
{The rest of my post was edited out after having my thinking corrected} :blush:
Darn...I was I could of seen it (the post that is) :wink:

JeffG:
Darn...I was I could of seen it (the post that is) :wink:
Some of it is quoted above. I was suggesting he didn't have any problems, but was corrected to include other possibilities than I had considered.

Do you worry too much about this sort of thing?

DandyDon:
Do you worry too much about this sort of thing?
Oh yes...I spend weeks/nights worring about it.

DandyDon:
{The rest of my post was edited out after having my thinking corrected} :blush:

Don, only you can correct your thinking - I just disagreed.
:shakehead

redhatmama:
Don, only you can correct your thinking - I just disagreed.
:shakehead
yes, well, ok - I corrected after reading your admirable post. :thumb:

Thanks again every one (in particular the Doc). It has somewhat 'settled' my thinking. To be sure I will use the link for DAN and see what they say.

Someone asked about my 'Bottom' time I think. To clarify the times quoted for my bottom time were as per the book.....ie They were from the time I started my descent to the time I started my ascent. This was using my stop watch that I was wearing and the depths were from 3 seperate guages. I wore one, one was part of my SPG and the Instructor was wearing one. Although having said that he did appear to keep hitting his!!!!! We also went by the lowest reading guage.

Time_Bandit:
Whilst on holiday I decided to do my Deep Diving Speciality. The following incident occurred.

I will give you the dive profile to help illustrate.....

1st Dive was to 130ft for 9 minutes (brings me to Pressure Group G)

Surface Interval 3.00hrs (Bringing me back to Pressure Group A)

2nd Dive was to 100ft for 18 minutes.

Now here is my concern.....

a) Using my RDP going to 40m (approx 130ft) gives me maximum of 9 minutes. This was fine. I then had a 3 hour SI and then dived to 100ft (approx 30m). Now using my RDP when I flip over to use table three my Residual Nitrogen is 3 and my Maximum bottom time is 17 minutes. As you can see I spent 18 minutes at 100ft (although not all 18 minutes were actually at 100ft.....probably more time spent at roughly 90ft!)

b) That I did two deep dives in one day (According to my RDP I should limit all repetitive dives to max of 30m (approx 100ft)

We only just about did our three minute safety stop. The thought of an EIGHT minute stop didn't even come into the Instructors mind!!!

When we got back on to the boat we had to wait for other divers (who hadn't gone so deep) for 10-15 minutes. Whilst waiting, the water (and therefore the boat) was very rough. It really made my head start spinning. My head was spinning for most of the evening and for a short period the next day!

Unless you are a Doctor I guess you wont make any sort of Diagnosis.....but I was slightly concerned that it may have been DCS.

I guess my question is, given the above Dive Profile....should I be worried about the fact that I went 1 minute over my limit without doing an 8 minute decompression (and the fact I did 2 deep dives in one day)???

By the way....I am 31, reasonably fit male!

Thanks in advance.

The proper deco schedule for these dives should be something like this:

V-Planner 3.70 by R. Hemingway, VPM code by Erik C. Baker.

Decompression model: VPM - B/E

DIVE PLAN #1
Surface interval = 0 day 3 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0m
Conservatism = + 5

Dec to40m(2)Air15m/min descent.
Level40m 6:20(9)Air1.04 ppO2, 40m ead
Asc to30m(10)Air-9m/min ascent.
Asc to9m(12)Air-9m/min ascent.
Stop at9m 0:33(13)Air0.40 ppO2, 9m ead
Stop at6m 2:00(15)Air0.34 ppO2, 6m ead
Stop at3m 4:00(19)Air0.27 ppO2, 3m ead
Surface(19)Air-9m/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 20.2m

OTU's this dive: 10
CNS Total: 3.6%

1458.2 ltr Air
1458.2 ltr TOTAL

DIVE PLAN #2
Surface interval = 0 day 3 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0m
Conservatism = + 5

Dec to30m(2)Air15m/min descent.
Level30m 16:00(18)Air0.84 ppO2, 30m ead
Asc to12m(20)Air-9m/min ascent.
Stop at12m 1:00(21)Air0.46 ppO2, 12m ead
Stop at9m 3:00(24)Air0.40 ppO2, 9m ead
Stop at6m 4:00(28)Air0.34 ppO2, 6m ead
Stop at3m 9:00(37)Air0.27 ppO2, 3m ead
Surface(37)Air-9m/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 20m

OTU's this dive: 13
CNS Total: 4.5%

2336.7 ltr Air
2336.7 ltr TOTAL

DIVE PLAN COMPLETE

********* WARNING & DISCLAIMER *********
This V-Planner generated dive schedule could indirectly kill you.
The author does not warrant that it accurately reflects the Varying
Permeability Model algorithms, that it won't get you bent or dead, or that it
will produce safe, reliable results. This dive schedule is experimental
and you use it at your own risk. Diving in general is fraught with
risk, and decompression diving adds significantly more risk.
Deep diving utilizing multiple gasses, including Helium, is about
as risky as it gets.

This schedule is not intended for uneducated users. V-Planner and the
decompression schedules it produces are tools for experienced mixed-gas
decompression divers ONLY. If you have not been properly trained in
mixed-gas decompression diving by an internationally recognized technical
certification agency and/or don't have a firm handle on decompression
planning and mixed-gas diving, then DO NOT USE THIS DIVE SCHEDULE.

Seems you missed about 18 minutes of deco on the second dive...
I've set my deco planner to the highest conservatism due to a hit earlier in the year, but it shouldn't be too far off. Were you diving nitrox at the time?

E:)

I myself would not worry about DCS, since enough time has passed, and you only seemd to have complained about motion sickness (and yes, sea sickness is in fact motion sickness).

Severe motion sickness can last for several days, almost to the point of feeling the need of throwing up even on solid ground.

I too called DAN when I did a 90 ft dive and I had tingling in my hands for over a week. I chalked it up to fire coral on a decent buoy line, on which I did not use gloves. I had a rash and tingling only on my hands. I waited about 5 days to call DAN, and after describing the sypyoms, they agreed that it must have been fire coral. A few days later, it cleared up. DAN was very helpful for peace of mind. I was well wthin my no deco limits and had drank plenty of water, too much so, because I was pissing like crazy.

This is a good lesson for you, though. Never loose the fear of DCS. It will keep you mindful to stay within the no decomepression limits. Many divers that I have run into and that use computers say that they have no worries even if they go a lil over. If you stay over by one or two minutes, the slow ascent usually acts to decompress the diver, who falls back within the no decompression limits.

A doctor's visit would not hurt, but at this point, I personally would not go, unless I had a rash or tingling on any part of my body that was not in contact with anything that was permanently submerged.

The dive computer is quite a luxury for deep dives, and I just bought mine. Cannot wait to use it. However, I plan to take a back up pressure gauge and depth gauge complete with a watch (timer) back-up and rememberance of the dive tables' no decompression limits as a mindful order of magnitude check on the computer. I say order of magnitude, because I will be able to stay down a little longer with the computer that accounts for the time (albeit 1 or 2 minutes) it takes to descend.

Anyway, have fun diving:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom