Should I be worried???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
I've done a lot deep dives over the years on air, but not since the age of 40. I would make an NDL air dive to 130' at my current age of 48, but I would need a real compelling reason to do so; and I sure wouldn't do any second dive after that first one done on air.

Edit: I do dive to depths greater than 100fsw still, but only on trimix. And, as always, never dive on any gas other than air unless you are trained to do so.
I haven't done any...(deep air that is, I'm still sitting on my double 130@ 21/35 from the last dive that got washed out). Compelling reason...yep I buy that, but I would take my doubles and a bottle of 50% and stay longer and make it worth my time/effort. Basically, a bounce dive to 130 doesn't really interest me; it would have to be real compelling.

Hey Time_Bandit,

I’m asking about the timing of the dive and your awareness of the time because that’s one of the goals of the Deep Specialty. Your instructor can time a deep dive but could you.

Did you use a timing device and depth gauge to manage and verify the times and depths of the dive. Do you know from your personal knowledge what the depths and times were for the dive? Did you manage the ascent and develop a feel for what a slow ascent should be like.

If the times you cite are accurate, that is actual bottom times not total dive times, than you should have completed a stop for 8 minutes. This simulated 8 minute emergency stop is part of the deep dive specialty. Did you have the air remaining to do so? Many (most) computers and bottom timers will give you total time wet rather than total bottom time.

The dives that you described were at the maximum recommended limits for depth for the deep specialty. A nine-minute dive to 130 is in bounce territory IMO and perhaps not much fun. Deep dives in the right spots can be wonderful and you need a bit of time down there to really get comfortable… so for me 100 feet is about it.

I’m delighted you took the specialty and as with the basic c-card you now have a license to continue your dive education… albeit at deeper depths. There is a lot to learn about deep diving beyond what we teach in the specialty.

Another rule i go by , even with my computer. I make longer stops than suggested. It certenly doesnt hurt one bit.

terrasmak:
Another rule i go by , even with my computer. I make longer stops than suggested. It certenly doesnt hurt one bit.

You mean in the shallow zone from 9 metres to the surface, right?

R..

{The rest of my post was edited out after having my thinking corrected} :blush:
Basically, a bounce dive to 130 doesn't really interest me; it would have to be real compelling.
He was doing a training dive with an Instructor.

But then, his type of diving is totally different anyway.

Hello Time Bandit:

We had many rapid responses on this post. Most seem to believe that the dive did not result in DCS. Given the gas load [dose] of nitrogen, I would suspect that also.

DAN is always a good place to start. By phone or e-mail.

Dr Deco :doctor:

DandyDon:
I also asked how do you feel now...??

If you have no current problems, then I am not aware of any reason to do anything other than packing motion sickness meds in your dive bag and use them before future boat trips.

I disagree with motion sickness being very familiar with it.

He said, "Whilst waiting, the water (and therefore the boat) was very rough. It really made my head start spinning. My head was spinning for most of the evening and for a short period the next day!"

He didn't mention his stomach at all. Ear baurotrauma? Anxiety? I've had problems with not being able to fully equalize my ears which made me feel dizzy, but they also made my ear feel weird.

But he needs a real medical opinion.

redhatmama:
I disagree with motion sickness being very familiar with it.

He said, "Whilst waiting, the water (and therefore the boat) was very rough. It really made my head start spinning. My head was spinning for most of the evening and for a short period the next day!"

He didn't mention his stomach at all. Ear baurotrauma? Anxiety? I've had problems with not being able to fully equalize my ears which made me feel dizzy, but they also made my ear feel weird.

But he needs a real medical opinion.
Thank-you for that explaination. Yes, it would be prudent. I'm going to go back and edit my post lest it cause a problem, but you are welcome to leave yours and the quote as they are - could help others.

thanks again! :thumb:

DandyDon:
He was doing a training dive with an Instructor.
Not compelling enough in my books. But maybe thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom