Should a dive shop match prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, they don't - at least not all of them. Those that have enough demand and can attract and satisfy enough customers to make a living (or whatever their business profit needs are) then good. Survival of the fittest works in business also if it is allowed to operate.

Oh really? Even online sellers don't need to generate profit?

I agree with you, survival of the fittest. The fittest for me are a few certain LDSes. Yours may vary.

I don't have to worry at all. My redundancy is my LDS's rental fleet.

A lot of good that'll do you when you're reg craps out in Cozumel or on a liveaboard.

I buy lots of scuba stuff online. Mostly I save money, but sometimes I don't. My rule of thumb is "take the internet price and add $25 - is it still a saving?" The figure of $25 is a crude valuation of shipping plus my time. So, is it worthwhile buying a 24" lp hose online? Probably not since there is a small chance that I will have to ship it back at my cost. Is it worthwhile buying a BP + computer? Most likely it is...

I buy lots of scuba stuff online. Mostly I save money, but sometimes I don't. My rule of thumb is "take the internet price and add $25 - is it still a saving?" The figure of $25 is a crude valuation of shipping plus my time. So, is it worthwhile buying a 24" lp hose online? Probably not since there is a small chance that I will have to ship it back at my cost. Is it worthwhile buying a BP + computer? Most likely it is...

It's very simple, really.

You spend your money your way.

I spend my money my way.

Why would my reg crap out? It's well maintained by the LDS and I test it before use.

Do you really believe that if your reg is well maintained by your LDS and you test it before each use, that any subsequent failure is impossible?

The LDS can do whatever they want to do.

The customer should do the same.

I agree! I've related this story once before. BEFORE I was into scuba diving, I was (well and still AM a drummer) There were TWO shops in my area to get parts, supplies, additional equipment etc. BOTH used the "MSRP" in their pricing, so it wasn't really a gamble to go to one place or the other. Both shop owners said that THEY HAD TO SELL STUFF AT THAT PRICE! THEY HAD NO CHOICE!

All of a sudden a NEW shop opened up, and they sold BELOW MSRP! The two existing shops were FURIOUS and apparently tried to get this other shop to raise their prices so as not to be competitive...they refused, and continued to sell BELOW, not to mention gave FURTHER discounts for repeat customers.....Guess which shop is STILL open? When Guitar Center opened in the area (national chain) they thought that they'd beat out the local competition? NOPE, Other local shop STILL sells a good majority of their stuff below that cost, so I'm still shopping there when I need to...

If my LDS decides to sell things more expensively than what I can get online I'll buy online.... HOWEVER, I WILL pay a little more for things that need regular service, because as I've found out, the price differential ISN'T that different when it comes to set up costs, and annual service!

The original question of what "should" the LDS do is much more interesting to discuss than what "can" the LDS do on pricing. With MSRP, MAP and such they "can" do just about anything they want to maximize profit at the end of the month. With MRP, they are handicapped by the manufactures and official distribution channels. This has all been discussed to great length in many post.

What I find interesting is what "should" the LDS do to insure reasonable profit at the end of the month so they have a viable business. Selling gear at a high margin is tempting since it has an immediate effect on the bottom line. But most of us at least slow down on gear purchases after the garage fills up with 2,3 or 4 sets of gear. Selling training (especially with the PADI card of the month program) and trips long term may have an even higher profit margin of the years.

My contention if a new to intermediate diver feels his LDS screwed him on the price for the initial round of gear purchases (i.e. discovers the same gear at 1/2 price on the net), then they will not continue with the LDS for the training / travel market and more advanced gear purchases later. On the other hand, if they feel the LDS gave them at least a fair deal, then a level of trust is built into the relationship and future business is insured that long term will result in a more viable business.

Particularly with online stores?

I found an Oceanic dive computer online for 150 (really basic model, blah blah blah)

And as a broke college kid, I like the cheap, nonfancy stuff!

So anyway, I went to a LDS, and asked the guy if he'd match their prices and he said no. Now as a customer, I could really care less (honesty here) where I buy my equipment, and this website has already proven itself reliable to me.

The LDS owner said that online stores were a gray market and then went into this tangent about some really expensive computer and its reliablity blah blah blah.

Should the store match the price?
Would you?

Just like to hear what everyone thinks

If they want the business and they can match the price point then yes they can. Should they? That is entirely up to them. It is good business etiquette to do so providing the previous criteria can be met. Customers tend to be loyal and getting a loyal customer early can really pay dividends.

I have a wife for a "relationship". If LDS prices were competitive with online prices on a widespread basis, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Hey, let's not start taking shots at each other. I too have a wife, kids too as well. The term "relationship" just meant to say I have found an LDS that is friendly, provides solid products at very competitive prices so I like to go there on a regular basis.

I'm sorry you haven't had the same experiences at places near you. Not all shops as good as the one I like to go to, I've actually tried nearly every dive shop nearby. The other shops in town don't bargain with their prices, they don't let me have an extra 24 hrs on occasion if can't make it back right away to return rentals, and don't offer any other discounts for being a loyal customer. They go the extra mile to earn my business so whenever possible I buy from them. If they don't have what I need I buy online.

If every LDS was as fair then it wouldn't really matter. But just to lump all dive shops as bad or more expensive is not right either. I'm sure their are online sites that aren't that great as well.

And don't belittle those who have found good shops to frequent because your experiences have been different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom