Should a dive shop match prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Particularly with online stores?

I found an Oceanic dive computer online for 150 (really basic model, blah blah blah)

And as a broke college kid, I like the cheap, nonfancy stuff!

So anyway, I went to a LDS, and asked the guy if he'd match their prices and he said no. Now as a customer, I could really care less (honesty here) where I buy my equipment, and this website has already proven itself reliable to me.

The LDS owner said that online stores were a gray market and then went into this tangent about some really expensive computer and its reliablity blah blah blah.

Should the store match the price?
Would you?

Just like to hear what everyone thinks

Afterall, the world is going to online spending, via the internet
Hence the closing of many, many blockbuster stores.

I don't care how they run their stores either, just saying!

I expect most LDSs to be a little higher. As long as they aren't ripping my head off I want to support them. I bought another titan and a AL Deminsion i3 today. I'm sure I could have found then online for cheaper but the service I get and the knowledge is worth the extra.

I have found that spending more money through buying with my LDS less expensive than buying online. Once you buy online, the sale is done, business closed. You have a problem with the merchandise.....your problem. Buy another to replace the defective/worn out item. On the other hand, buy from an LDS, they will guarantee the product, so if something goes wrong, they will replace it free of charge. ScubaPro is one of the best in that regard. I have had fins, BCD's, and gloves replaced free of charge. The stuff that I bought online was a one in a lifetime deal......and I lost. I will always buy from my LDS from now on. IJS

This is a consideration I did take, good advice!

I look at the LDS as a convenience store, If you want or need it right now then you will have to pay. Otherwise all my orders are on-line.

I look at the LDS as a convenience store, If you want or need it right now then you will have to pay. Otherwise all my orders are on-line.

But what about service or issues that come up that an on-line provider refuses to address?

Im the same way. I went to a LDS that had a stainless steele knife I wanted. They said it was like 70 dollars. I found the exact same knife made out of titanium for 45 on a website. Guess where my nearly 80 dollars of savings went? I also bought a bcd I wanted online that was retailed at over 600 dollars. I bought it online for 318 dollars. Guess where my nearly 300 dollars of savings went? Right into my bank account.

I look at it like this I have to survive as much as the LDS. They want to charge excessively Ill save excessively :)

But what about service or issues that come up that an on-line provider refuses to address?

I know what you mean, though I always purchase top of the line gear and what I can work on. I really haven't had any issues with gear I have purchased online and what I have had has been handled well. Most of my purchases for scuba gear is through Amron International, Inc. - Commercial Diving Gear, Hyperbaric Treatment Products, Tactical Equipment, and Outdoor Supplier they are well known and pretty good a keeping their customers happy IMO. I do have a commercial account... Maybe thats why I haven't had any trouble. This might be an exception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom