Should a dive shop match prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My regs and computers I shopped online and then printed out best prices and took them to local Diveshops in my area. For my computer they matched my deal and on my regs I got a better deal from the LDS. Not all shops will do matching but those worth their beans will attempt to work with you. Some brands can't be discounted because of the sales agreement between the manufacturer and the retailer. When you see these on sale either the manufacture has authorized the price or it is gray market and without a manufacturers warranty. I find it more productive to just eliminate those brands from my shopping list. Other manufacturers only restrict advertizing prices but the dealer is free to discount. Both these marketing groups offer a selection of products from entry level to advanced and of multiple levels of quality. I advise anyone that asks to only purchase those brands and support a free market economy.

While I do support my LDS, it is not my only source. I believe that a lot of the pricing in a LDS is relevant to the amount of competition or lack there of, in the area. In this day the smart dive shops need to be more flexible to survive the online assaults into their sales. I travel more than most and always check out LDS's at every site I visit. The difference in pricing on some items amazes me. However I always find some bargain at each one.

I don't think so. On line dicount outlest are often liquidating past models or overstock. Local dive retailers have overhead that the on-line vendors don't. I see the great prices all the time on line, but I like to try on, try out and look at equipment closeley before I buy. I also like having a local shop that I can go to if there is an issue. That is particularly true of the "life support" items. I have bought wetsuits and non-essential items on line for great prices, but never a bcd or reg. To each their own.
DivemasterDennis

Put me in the +1 for NO. It's good to know what the current market price is (online or otherwise) but as many above have mentioned, the LDS has a lot of business expense that online merchants don't have. I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with your LDS. Do "YOU" have a personal, trusting relationship with the diving professionals at the LDS? Do "YOU" ask their advise, use their pool, try their gear before buying, etc.? If the answer to these two questions is 'NO' then you can just be a happy duck and buy online. Service, maintenance, and warranty then become your problem.

All that being said, I would not pay 100% markup just to buy from LDS. I usually buy the little nitty stuff onlline because I do not see any 'added value' from the LDS on that sort of thing. Major purchases (big $ items) I usually do all my online homework to understand my choices and then visit my LDS to discuss the pros and cons, and if they can come close to the online price I am happy to buy from them.

Every one of the online retailers I purchased from have a fully operating brick and mortar store as well - so their overhead is generally the same (of course with differences due to size, location, etc.). Every one of the online retailers I purchased from offer BETTER warranties compared to the LDSs I have been to in my area. Every one of the online retailers I purchased from have BETTER customer service than my nearby LDSs (they help me with what I want, don't offer me bogus junk, and have an overall better attitude and treat me with more respect). Every online retailer I have purchased from also has lower prices than my LDSs. I personally think it comes down to the volume at which you're selling. Either expand your operation and get with the times (sell online too), or start looking for Out of Business signs!

Pans, where do you live?

:p

Denver, Colorado. ... and it's weird because we're landlocked, but have the most certified divers in this state - you'd think the shops would be well stocked and carry a variety of gear. Personally, I don't do any instruction here because, well, I don't want to dive in the crappy lakes around here or travel to nearby states and still have to get a hotel room - I might as well just go on a real vacation! (although I'd like to learn drysuit and ice diving here). The lds's are mostly filled with WAY OVERPRICED bogus contraption junk (given, I haven't been to all of them, that's just my experience so far)... example, I ask for a boltsnap and caveline, they offer me some $40 retractor. You really might as well call them travel agents... and again, with the internet, you can make a way better trip for much cheaper than they can offer. And I'm sorry, but I'm not paying buku bucks for a group travel with the shop either - I'm not funding their DM's travel, there are plenty DM's in the locations where I'll be going.

This is just another variant of the never-ending online vs LDS debate. Everyone has an opinion, no one is going to change their mind. That said, it's disgusting to see the LDS crowd spouting the same blatant LIES, misinformation, and baseless scaremongering.

Most online stores have physical stores with all the same expenses as any LDS. They have employees, pay rent, taxes, utilities, many even have pools. They have overhead of inventory, in fact I'd say they carry far more inventory. To make blanket assertions that an LDS has overhead that an online store doesn't is just a lie.

Most online stores have excellent return policies and customer support. I've received better support and service from online vendors than local shops. I can't recall ever having a problem where I didn't get resolved that would have been through an LDS. And warranty? My house looks like a dive shop I buy so much gear and I can count on one hand the times I've needed a warranty.

Most online stores are authorized dealers and their products carry manufacturer warranty. Yeah there's that one big exception but they substitute an equivalent store warranty. And a few manufacturers don't allow online sales. But to make a blanket statement that gear bought online is gray market and has no warranty is simply disingenuous.

When one must resort to lies and misinformation to defend their position, they have no credibility.

To the OP, the LDS probably cannot match the price, but the should be able to come within reason (10-15%).

In the end, the key issue is the LDS has the option to develop a unique relationship with you regarding a magical triad of service, gear advice and training that an online store cannot. If they develop this relationship you should be willing to pay a bit more for gear and it may be worthwhile. You do need to give them a chance to do so. If they don't (and a lot blow this) then it is easier to shop online. The other issues (warranty and service) are handled differently between the 2 sales channels, but I have not found one or the other is vastly superior over the other most of the time.

I wanted to comment on demise of blockbuster. I was a customer from 1998 to 2008 and switched to netflix in 2008.

Every single time I went to blockbuster it was a separate trip. They are almost never "along the way from work" at least for me. But having said that... you go there and look at the titles and find that any newest releases are always out, so you try and get a year old movie that is the only one they have left and its also out so you go further and find yourself a 5 year movie that you bring home. Problem is that you have just paid a hefty sum AND you need to return it by such and such date or else the world will implode. At time of return you go back into the store creating a perpetual loop of not bringing back movies that you wanted.

Netflix has solved that issue by addressing several things.
#1 it does not require me driving anywhere and since I check my mail every day it works perfectly.
#2 their prices are unbelievably affordable.
#3 they have woven their business into everything out there. Have a Wii? its on Wii. Have a dvd player? Its on dvd player. Have a smart phone? Its on the smart phone.

That is what good businesses do... they figure out how to change with the times and they change and stay in business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom