Should a dive shop match prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may be fact in your industry but it's not analogous to the dive industry. The major online retailers are not operating with just a computer and a cellphone. They have bigger stores and more inventory than nearly all LDS's.

And please name one large online retailer that has gone out of business. If that is what you're worried about then your risk is 100 times greater with a LDS. I can't count the number of times threads have been started here because someone's LDS closed their doors. There was one just last week that left a couple halfway through OW class, they paid for the class and now can't get their certs and their planned dive vacation is coming up. See Paid for dive lessons, but shop closed up. What do I do?.
Keep in mind I'm the other end of the world and things may be different where you are.Theres a casein the news just last week of a "carpetbagger" leaving a total of $300000 owing to customers for goods promised but not delivered -His solution was to declare bankrupcy.

Incidently I do agree theres a big difference between companies with an actual shop/inventory who also have a strong internet presence and those with a computer and a cellphone.
I agree totally that if you haven't embraced the internet and don't have your shop/products/services advertised then you are well behind the times.

The LDSes that I favor can't 100% match online pricing, but damn close to online pricing and that's good enough for me. If my regulators were to go into a funk and has to go back to the factory for repair, will the online seller lend me a set of regs to hold me by? My LDSes will.

Will the online seller let me bum off a foot of lanyard or two now and then? My LDSes will.

Will the online seller buddy up with me during the dives and give me some tips on being a better diver? My LDSes instructors and workers will.

So, no, I won't pay MSRP for an item, but saving $100 to go with an LDS instead of saving $150 to go with online dealer, then I'll go with the LDS. Saving $500 on a drysuit versus $700 for same drysuit buying online? I'll go with the LDS. That $200 buys a lot of airfill AND a lot of extra services that I won't get with the online dealer. My LDSes have helped with patching lots of customers' drysuits for free. Let me know which online dealer does that.

Maybe you live in a different universe because last time I checked I have not yet seen a single LDS that have offered anything for free. Like NOTHING.
My LDS organizes trips to places. Yes he does. Except for the fact that he gets to stay there for free, dive for free, get air for free AND he always hitches a ride with other people forcing his students to haul 20 some scuba tanks across entire state when there is air available at docks. My LDS also organizes out of country trips which very conveniently for him come free of charge. Charging all divers 25% extra so that he can travel, stay in hotel and dive for free. But outside of that he is a swell guy.

Maybe you live in a different universe because last time I checked I have not yet seen a single LDS that have offered anything for free. Like NOTHING.
My LDS organizes trips to places. Yes he does. Except for the fact that he gets to stay there for free, dive for free, get air for free AND he always hitches a ride with other people forcing his students to haul 20 some scuba tanks across entire state when there is air available at docks. My LDS also organizes out of country trips which very conveniently for him come free of charge. Charging all divers 25% extra so that he can travel, stay in hotel and dive for free. But outside of that he is a swell guy.

And that would be the main difference I see between East/West Coast.

The LDSes that I favor can't 100% match online pricing, but damn close to online pricing and that's good enough for me. If my regulators were to go into a funk and has to go back to the factory for repair, will the online seller lend me a set of regs to hold me by? My LDSes will.

Will the online seller let me bum off a foot of lanyard or two now and then? My LDSes will.

Will the online seller buddy up with me during the dives and give me some tips on being a better diver? My LDSes instructors and workers will.

So, no, I won't pay MSRP for an item, but saving $100 to go with an LDS instead of saving $150 to go with online dealer, then I'll go with the LDS. Saving $500 on a drysuit versus $700 for same drysuit buying online? I'll go with the LDS. That $200 buys a lot of airfill AND a lot of extra services that I won't get with the online dealer. My LDSes have helped with patching lots of customers' drysuits for free. Let me know which online dealer does that.

So pay an extra $200 and get a foot of lanyard. Sweet deal. If those "extras" really added up to the cost difference then when doesn't the LDS just offer the guys like me the lower cost and they can keep the extras?

Actually, I bought a 100' roll of shock cord online for $20 so I'll probably be the guy on the boat cutting off a piece for you.

A loaner reg might come in handy for some divers. I have 4 regs I keep maintained and several more that could be pressed into service.

As I said, dive clubs for buddies. Many instructors and DMs in the clubs.

I printed quotes from an online supplier when I went shopping for the wife and my gear. I didn't share the quotes and the LDS beat them. Made the choice simple.

You don't get out much do you. There are several LDS in the Denver area. There are a couple that are pretty good. I do have my favorite. GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. Good prices (comparable to online) and friendly just to name a few attributes. As for the CD's there are several places downtown that sell CD's, and several more bookstores that sell CD's and Target and other places that sell CD's. Look around, what a crock!

Good, I'm glad you're happy with the LDSs around here. Granted, I haven't been to all of them, but I have yet to find one that suits my taste. I'm sure I'd be happier around here if I liked small travel bc's, floppy split fins, and consoles and computers and air integration growing out of my arse - however, that is not my style. I'm also not going on a goddamn treasure hunt everytime I need a small item.

As for the CD stores downtown - THERE ARE ZERO!! I just got done living right smack middle of downtown for 4 years and my life revolves around music, trust me, I know. Nearby, you have Independent (very good), Twist and Shout (very good), and Wax Trax (eh). Bookstores, Target, Best Buy, etc. are absolute garbage, therefore they don't even remotely count.

"What a crock"

PansSiren

I concede to your obvious superior experience and taste in dive gear, pricing and music. I will defer further comment as this is a basic scuba discussion.

The LDS owner I know works his butt of when going on the out of country trips to make sure my trip is worry free and with their experience serves as a mentor to the less experienced divers on the trip, such as myself. This includes helping the idiot that didn't keep the paperwork needed to exit the country, working on and fixing equipment that malfunctions (for free), making sure that everyone on the trip sails through check in and check out at the hotel, dive op, resolving issues with the resort that may arise. No exactly a fun filled dive vacation IMO.

We don't have a lot of local dive sites but when I was a OW student the tanks and equipment were lined up on the shore, ready for us to gear up and enter the water. Having never done any diving in Florida I can't speak to how most LDS operate there.

Yarik I'd suggest that YOU try organising a dive event of any sort thats away from home. Untill you have or have organised something requiring similar logistics believe me you aren't qualified to comment on that situation.
sorry if that sounds harsh but yes I HAVE and its far from a fun time.

Back
Top Bottom