Should a dive shop match prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LDS can do whatever he wants. The buyer can buy wherever he wants. It is also the buyers right to assign value to the purchase. Crush has set the bar at $25. I am not sure what the value is for me.

I work for a customer service oriented company. The value of that service is decided by the customer. Some of the customers we have are more needy than others. Some jobs require less service and the price of the product alone plays the biggest role in their decision. It is our decision to set the prices for the different circumstances. The same could be said for a Online supplier and an LDS. So both the customer and the retailer come to an agreement for what is right for themselves.

There are certain customers, Some just aren't worth the effort.

Last edited:
Do you really believe that if your reg is well maintained by your LDS and you test it before each use, that any subsequent failure is impossible?

Nothing is impossible. It's highly possible that while I dive, an errant black hole would pass by and suck the Earth into it. How probable is the chance of that were to happen?

How probable is the chance of a well maintained, often used regulator to just conk out?

Do you bring two of everything with you on each dive? Two exposure suits, two BCs, two reg sets with gauges/computers, two timing devices, two compasses, two pair of fins, two masks, two snorkels, two sets of save-a-dive-kits? Where do you draw the line on redundancy?

Nothing is impossible. It's highly possible that while I dive, an errant black hole would pass by and suck the Earth into it. How probable is the chance of that were to happen?

How probable is the chance of a well maintained, often used regulator to just conk out?

Do you bring two of everything with you on each dive? Two exposure suits, two BCs, two reg sets with gauges/computers, two timing devices, two compasses, two pair of fins, two masks, two snorkels, two sets of save-a-dive-kits? Where do you draw the line on redundancy?

Regulator failures are quite rare and I have seen no evidence that frequency of use is an independent variable for their failure rate. I have used a regulator that had not been used in over 20 years (NOS Mk3). I do believe I have seen evidence of some dependency on the time since last service being a variable with shorter times related to higher failure rates due to service errors and defective parts.

I do bring backups for most items that can easily be backed up and seem to contribute the most to safe, enjoyable diving.

Should a dive shop match prices?

Only if they want to still be in business next month.

There are certain customers, Some just aren't worth the effort.

I think we refer to them as "costomers."

One LDS that we have bought much of our gear from, does price match if he can. I don't expect him to do anything for a lose, but he will try to do what he can. He will give you his best price if he can't match it, then it is up to us. However, for the most part we deal with him. Even if we pay a little more, less hassel.

But what about service or issues that come up that an on-line provider refuses to address?

We all know that a good and trustworthy local dive shop is a valuable thing but just because another is online doesn't mean they will refuse to handle an issue. That has never been the case for me. It may take longer if you have a problem and if you decide to use the online shop but that is the usually very small chance one takes to sometimes save as much as 50% or even more on an item.

Again, don't get me wrong, I value a good LDS and it seems jupitermermaid has found a good one (yeah for her and them!!!) but I sometimes wonder who all these people are who keep having to take all their gear back to the LDS they bought it from because it wasn't working...again...:idk:

And if anyone says no to the OP's question, then they have failed one again to see the irony in having this discussion on the internet.

I think we refer to them as "costomers."

One LDS that we have bought much of our gear from, does price match if he can. I don't expect him to do anything for a lose, but he will try to do what he can. He will give you his best price if he can't match it, then it is up to us. However, for the most part we deal with him. Even if we pay a little more, less hassel.

Costomers, pretty clever.

The LDS I go to is like yours and I feel the same way. I don't want to get screwed but I am willing to pay a reasonable price for local service.

I have on occasion, as a DM, had to give an extra mask that I happened to be carrying to a customer whose mask leaked. I was on a dive where a customer pushed his gear so far back that he pushed one of my fins into the ocean without notice. Luckily, I had an extra set with me and was able to lead the dives. An exposure suit....meh.....can always dive nekkid if the occasion comes up. Computers, yeah, a backup is always handy....you never know when a battery will die unless you have a newer model that tells you how strong the battery is. Snorkels....who needs even one, let alone two? Save-a-dive-kits.....it all depends on what you really need to "save" a dive. Stuff happens.

We all know that a good and trustworthy local dive shop is a valuable thing but just because another is online doesn't mean they will refuse to handle an issue. That has never been the case for me. It may take longer if you have a problem and if you decide to use the online shop but that is the usually very small chance one takes to sometimes save as much as 50% or even more on an item.

Again, don't get me wrong, I value a good LDS and it seems jupitermermaid has found a good one (yeah for her and them!!!) but I sometimes wonder who all these people are who keep having to take all their gear back to the LDS they bought it from because it wasn't working...again...:idk:.

Yes, I am fortunate to have a fantastic LDS. I am very hard on my gear and wear things out constantly since I dive so frequently. I initially put a sh##load of money out to buy top of the line gear. Since then, all equipment has been replaced, repaired, or upgraded free of charge due to Scubapro's lifetime warranty. My LDS never asks questions when I have a problem. In fact, when I say I need to buy a "new....something or other" because I wore it out, they alway insist that they send it back to see what Scubapro will do. I can't expect better than that; so yes, I am indeed lucky to have a fabulous LDS that will always get my business above anyone else.......even if they are more costly initially. I wish everyone could have the same type of service. I feel so lucky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom