Should a dive shop match prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a local shop. The closest one is pretty much a MSRP shop. He does give great service, so I shop there when I can. He even gave us his cell phone so if we can't make it to the shop by closing, all we have to do is call him and he will meet us there.

The next closest is Scuba Toys. Their in store prices match their online prices, they also give great service and I get their 10% board discount whenever I buy there. However, they are not nearly as convenient as the other store. Unless I am going up there (100 miles) or have time to wait on shipping, I will buy from the other shop.

Sorry I have been out of touch last few days. Dealing with home repairs.

I would like to comment/suggestion made to me to organize dive trips and see how hard it is.

This is how I dive in Florida Keys. I pack up my gear, pick up my dive buddy and we go to the keys. We then stay in a hotel and relax the first evening. Dive on 2nd day 4 dives total. We then drive further along the island chain, stay in another hotel and dive the next day then move then dive again until eventually we get to Key West where I usually meet up with my family. We spend a few days there doing fun stuff and dive our way back home.

We have the gear but not tanks. Tanks are available at docks. Repair shops are available in the area too.

Likewise when I go diving in Caribbean it is no different. Travel with my gear, sign up for whatever cruise ship or shore dive companies offer and dive to my heart's content. I have never felt the need for a dive master because there are dive masters at every resort that dive with you so dragging one with me is not cost efficient.

Dive community is a tight community but having been diving for 4 years now I can honestly say that it is more about people than it is about LDS masters. That is what you got certified for... to dive when you want wherever you want. Now if your LDS just so happens to be a super guy/gal and your friend who does not take advantage of your wallet then you killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

Every dive shop has their own discretion. it's business for them and they have the power to make the call as to if they want the business or not. I on the other hand in a business sense, think "competition" If the price can be beat or matched it will be done.

My LDS is somewhere where I'll call before a dive and ask what conditions have been like that day.

Or I 'll stop by after and get my cylinders filled, grab a cup of coffee from around back and shoot the breeze with whomever works there. We'll talk about classes coming up, new gear, articles we've read, things both good and bad that other shops or dive ops are doing, show off some new gear or a new technique we learned, or whatever else seems topical. New divers who walk in are generally introduced all around and included in the discussions. I know of a couple of lifelong dive buddy relationships that started that way. It's also a place where we stop by to brag on our lobster or spearfishing catch, or show off a particularly nice UW photo.

Any discussion about new gear is always within our agreed-upon parameters: They'll try to match any online price, but will only discuss it on a case by case basis.

In the time I've been dealing with them, only once have they said "that's a really great deal - we can't match it and you should buy it quickly while they still have it in stock." They gave me this advice after figuring out they couldn't match it and calling a couple of competing LDS in the area to see if THEY could match my Internet price.

They have thrice looked at what I found on the Internet, and then sold me something from stock that was a newer model of the same item and matched the Internet price.

With regard to service, they've saved me money over how I was getting equipment serviced a couple of times, and several times I got out of the water 5 minutes before their closing time, called them quickly and had them agree to stay open til I got there because my buddy needed a fill for an early dive the next morning. Each time they said they were glad to do so and to feel free if the need ever came up again.

Once my buddy and I stopped by the LDS before going out on a late beach dive where conditions quickly turned especially sporty while we were out. We got out of the water later than expected, exhausted and with sand in horrible places, only to walk up to our cars (the only two left in the lot) and find that the LDS owner came over to the beach after the shop closed to make sure we got in because he knew we were out there alone. While waiting he also stuck a couple quarters in our parking meters as our time had run out.

Yes, it's a business.
Yes I shop on the the Internet, too.

But what I have with the LDS is a relationship - a great customer relationship that requires a little work on both sides.

And yes, I also have a relationship with my wife, thank you. She knows when I'm late getting back from a dive to call the LDS.

You sounds like you have a wonderful LDS and I think any of us here would support an LDS like that. Now if they can do it, why can't so many others? And I think most shops are not like yours or else we wouldn't even be having this discussion. A relationship is a two way street.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom