Short fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My daughter asked for my advice concerning buying some USD Diva fins for a snorkeling trip on a Caribbean cruise. Never having used these fins which look very short in the pictures, I could not give her an opinion. She is only going to be using these a couple times a year, but I did not want her to spend the money if they are going to be a waste of money if they are too inefficient or tiring to use. Thanks for any comments.

Don't know anything about those fins but I've used the Aeris Mako and Velocity X3 fins for a short trip.

These are affordable and very good fins for snorkeling, there's even a full foot version for $30

SangP

I use Aqualung Sport short fins in situations where I'm trying to avoid tearing up the bottom (seagrass beds, sensitive habitats). I like them with two qualifiers - 1) you lose out on propulsion - but I don't need that where I dive, and 2) the foot pocket is too small to wear a bootie, so your bare foot is exposed.

Is this the snorkelling set your daughter is considering purchasing?
Diva_IslandDry_Trek_Tbag.jpg

If so, I'm afraid, as a man, :) I can't offer direct personal experience of the fins pictured.

Nevertheless, I've snorkelled (never scuba-dived) for half a century in the Mediterranean, English North Sea and the USA, so I've learnt a few things over the years. One of my most memorable snorkelling trips was to La Jolla Cove in Southern California, where I observed snorkellers of all ages enjoying themselves. They all wore different kinds of fins. Some were in adjustable open-heel scuba-style fins. Others were in bodyboarding-style fixed-heel all-rubber fins. Still others were swimming with long-bladed full-foot freediving-style fins. Yet others, like myself, wore all-rubber swim training-style full-foot fins with short or standard blades. I think I spotted somebody else in a pair of Force Fins. The common factor was that we were all having a great time, none of us felt hampered by the inadequacy of our chosen fins. Almost any kind of fin can be used in snorkelling.

A couple of criteria which do matter in fin selection, whether for scuba, snorkelling or freediving, are fit and purpose. Foot pockets have to match foot dimensions not only in terms of foot length - I see the Diva fins come in two sizes - but also with respect to foot width and arch height. This is why it's important to try any fins on for size. Too loose and the fins will raise blisters or fall off. Too tight and your daughter is likely to experience foot cramps. You might also want to consider whether she will be wearing socks or booties with the fins for warmth and protection. If so, you need to check whether the fins still fit when wearing socks or booties. The second criterion, purpose, relates to what kind of snorkelling your daughter is contemplating. Fins aren't worn for speed, but for power, endurance and manoeuvrability in the water. No single fin combines these attributes in equal measure. She might want to practise with her new fins before she embarks on her Caribbean cruise so that they become a natural extension of her feet.

So, to sum up: would I snorkel with these Diva fins? Well, no I wouldn't, not only because they're pink, but also because I prefer traditional, all-rubber full-foot fins, the kind that were the norm back when I started in the early 1960s. This said, everybody's different and finding the perfect fin for your daughter is a something of a personal odyssey and nobody can do it for you. So forget about brand names for the moment and concentrate first on finding a pair that fit. If your daughter is fortunate enough to find several matching her foot dimensions, then consider next whether she prefers open-heel or full-foot fins. Contrary to popular belief, socks and booties can be worn with full-foot fins as well as open-heel fins, but you have to check for fit. Then, and only then, consider other matters such as the stiffness and length of the blade, which will determine whether your daughter experiences fatigue during prolonged use.

My best wishes to your daughter when she snorkels in the Caribbean. Snorkelling is such a wonderful, inexpensive, spontaneous pastime. I've had a great time this summer snorkelling in the early mornings in the North Sea off the coast of North East England. I wear a suit to keep warm, I wear an oval mask on my head and a pair of traditional all-rubber full-foot fins on my feet and I'm happy with every item of my snorkelling gear. What suits me, of course, won't suit everybody, so I'm not recommending that you follow my lead!

People on the boat with us diving in Cozumel had similar "shorty" style fins for ease of packing when travelling. Their evaluation after their first fast drift dive was very negative. Trying to slow down to look at anything was a workout.

Thank you all for your posts. I am in Bonaire on a dive trip right now, so I will give my daughter the information when I return next week. This is our first trip to Bonaire and are totally enjoying the diving environment. It is great to be able to park at the beach, rocky though it may be, and be at a gorgeous coral formation less than a 100 feet from the beach in most places.
Thanks again for all of your advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom