Shore Diving August 9th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have good news went swimming at pensacola beach today the surf was pretty rough and current strong but didn't get stung by any jellies the ones i did see were just a little bigger than golf balls and short tentacles saw maybe one jelly every 20-30 feet or so

Did they look like this?

800px-Moon_jelly_-_adult_%28rev2%29.jpg

If so, then they are moon jellies, and they are supposed to eat sea nettles! :popcorn:

My plans are still up in the air. I'm hoping to have my boat in P'cola Saturday afternoon to dive 3 barges and/or a tug or liberty ship in the same general area. Timing may or may not mesh up with the current plans, and I may even end up on another boat entirely. Hopefully we can cross paths.

We should have the diving sorted out soon. Your crew can still come to the party.:)

Sat not looking good for boat diving :(

FRIDAY
WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAYS AND
COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

FRIDAY NIGHT
WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 FEET. BAYS AND
COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY.

SATURDAY
WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET. BAYS AND
COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 KNOTS. SEAS AROUND 2 FEET. BAYS AND
COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

Where is that "Buzz Kill" tshirt when you need it!!! I don't like that forecast Hetland. You're gonna have to do better than that. Go look somewhere else. :wink:

Sat not looking good for boat diving :(

Don't wimp out on me now Hetland. I was planning on taking you with me to a bullshark feeding. I figured you would enjoy "hand" feeding them :D

I can't take 7 people, through the pass or otherwise. I'm way to heavy with tanks and gear to go past Ft. Pickens, with over 4. 4 is about the max with gear and tanks for me. The deck of my boat is small and so I put the tanks and gear below decks, which makes it difficult to get to the bathroom and lockers, but doable. If everyone plans to dive 2 tanks, which in my eyes is usually a minimum, then we're talking 8 tanks and gear. That's about 800 lbs plus 4 passengers around another 500-600 lbs. That starts to sit me low in the water and for anyone that has ever gone through Pensacola pass knows you don't want to sit low in the water. So 4 is about max for me! So if we want to head offshore/near shore then we need to have another boat, or less people. I'm okay to go out the pass (With some Gas $ help). But I can't take that many people. I've dove Ft. Pickens in the middle of tides like this and it wasn't bad at all, but if you get away from the jetties and onto the sand it can be a finning experience. The little lagoon West of the Western Jetty is a nice escape if you were to get sucked out by the tide. This is usually where I park my boat, so it's not too bad. I'd say we can still shoot for Ft. Pickens unless we get another boat or 2, then we have a lot more options. If we get another boat we can bumper up over the 3 barges or Russian Freighter or whatever and dive like crazy people. I'd say the key is more boats. Othewise we need to plan on something else, weather that's a shore dive or maybe a charter. Bay breeze aquatics has a pontoon dive boat charter, which I think they take to Ft. Pickens. Let's see what happens in the next day or so.

Definitely another boat is needed to do this safely, and I've aquired a captiain to be a taxi service for us. He's got a small boat too- I'd say no more then 3 or 4 divers, probably 3. I'm leery about the jetties in between tides but if you've done it then I trust you. I've never even dove the jetties.

To give you an idea of where I live, its about 4.5 mi northwest of MBT divers. Anybody's welcome to come to the cookout but some general numbers would help planning. PM me for directions. Here's who I know are coming.

Me
Denise
Andy
Halftime (probably)

Lets hope that weather forcast changes!!

Don't wimp out on me now Hetland. I was planning on taking you with me to a bullshark feeding. I figured you would enjoy "hand" feeding them :D

LOL, I have no problem with 4 foot seas, but 99.999% of the people I have EVER been in a boat with would not share my opinion.... Speaking of which, I don't know for sure if my boat would agree that traversing P'cola Pass with 4ft'ers fits her job description. 4ft sees + P'cola Pass = 8ft seas :shakehead:

I'd be happy to go bullshark feeding with you. I'll bring my camera, and take all the pics I can of you playing with them :popcorn:

I'm leery about the jetties in between tides but if you've done it then I trust you.

I recently dove it a few hours after low tide, and admit that the current was sporty. There are however, plenty of rocks to hold onto, and during the daytime, the urchins are all tucked in to their little hidey-holes, so you just have to watch out for the stray bristle worm or torpedo ray :wink: If the tide is incoming, and you get pulled off the rocks, you should end up heading to the east, where the current peters out, and is almost non existant. If the current is too rough, there is a pier to the east of the jetties that may be worth a dive. you can see it from where you'll likely park the boat. You may also want to have buddies pull a john line between themselves if the viz is bad, current strong, new diver, etc., but I had a brand new diver with me, and she handled everything fine.

-h

Speaking of which, I don't know for sure if my boat would agree that traversing P'cola Pass with 4ft'ers fits her job description. 4ft sees + P'cola Pass = 8ft seas :shakehead:

What is her name. I'll speak to her.:blinking:

I'd be happy to go bullshark feeding with you. I'll bring my camera, and take all the pics I can of you playing with them :popcorn:

Sharks like me. I attract them. They come around even when I don't have a "chum" in the water with me. :D

i believe that may be what i saw i just didn't really pay that much attention to them i just swam away from them when i saw it. i thought there were two boats going is frank backing out or is he still on, still working on the pot haven't been to the inlaws yet but will keep you informed. if we have to then i am fine with a beach dive won't hear mean complain just as long as i get wet. how far does lightning strike underwater does anyone know

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom