Shopping for Carbon Monoxide (CO) tank testers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Carbon Monoxide in Tanks: Risks & Testers

I've been exploring this under appreciated risk for a few years now, and the more I learn - the more I see why more knowledgeable and accomplished divers don't try to spearhead this needed change in wide spread apathy. It's been a real Don Quixote adventure...

The biggest dive agency in the world and even DAN have let this go so long that they don't seem to want to address it now. I can only guess why? DAN admits that they have no idea how many close calls are written off as travelers flu and the like, or how many CO caused deaths are written off as just drownings. I had the pleasure of a nice, long phone chat with DAN's Chairman and he gave a lot of nice rhetoric to the idea, but action is still unseen.

When I have tried to ask Operators to see required quarterly air test results in years past, I usually hear about how it can't really be done in remote locations, even in Cozumel for example which has several non-stop US flights a day - except it can indeed anywhere with FedEx service, as a few around the world do send samples to the approved testing firms.

I hear stories from Operators that they've never had any problems, but what they really means is that they've never had any that they got exposed for, or couldn't cover up. Cooperation for hiding such at popular dive destinations is encouraged as the local economies depend on continued business.

And now Padi no longer requires quarterly air testing! Those tests didn't guarantee anything as the Ops that did cooperate would change their filters right before sampling and conditions can change quickly. Besides Padi never enforced that requirement anyway, but at least it was a reminder that no longer exists.​

Excerpting from: Carbon Monoxide tester for scuba and firefighting
...sources at one major laboratory, TRI Environmental, report that 3 to 5 percent of the air samples tested exceeded the 10-ppm limit. TRI tests between 1,000 and 2,000 air samples monthly.
Another major testing lab, Lawrence Factor, shares similar results. "I probably test about 100 samples a day," reported Bob Laughlin, Director of Laboratory Services at Lawrence Factor. "Of those, about 10 contain CO, and maybe three will be over the limit. And, typically we're not splitting hairs. Those that are over the limit aren't just a little over, they are usually grossly over the limit - maybe 30 to 40 ppm. In fact, I have two right here on my desk today. One is 45 ppm and the other is 50 ppm."

It's really an interesting article in its entirety, a revealing read.

Analox, renown as the diver's choice in Nitrox analyzers and other gas testers, makes an excellent inline unit for continuously checking compressor air for CO: Analox CO Clear: Analox - Looking after the air you breathe. about $1,000 total installed, and one might think that any Op would be happy to have one on every compressor to protect their customers and their own names, and what could these cost over filling thousands of tanks - pennies each? My small Lubbock LDS has one but then they're under US law, liability risks, and insurance - with similar requirements in a few countries around the world, but very few - certainly very rare in the Caribbean and Latin America region. Not at the largest fill station on Cozumel for example; I've heard of one unit at another filler there, but claims are easy; still waiting on pics.

[c]
9-a.jpg
[/c]

I've seen a few bad air reports around the US on SB here this last year so maybe not all are running the inline unit, or perhaps not keeping them maintained. Follow up reports were requested after tank analyzing, since none of the divers had testers, but have not been published. I can only guess why. Aslo see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...onoxide-tanks-cozumel.html?highlight=monoxide and there have been others that people don't seem to want to talk about.

The changes needed have to come from the divers, but you know what - some are. More divers are carrying portable, low range CO detectors on trips, checking, and even reporting here on the largest scuba community in the world - so there is hope. I get frequent PMs about where and what to get, so I want to share here what I've learned do far.

Now if you're new to the sport, I don't want to scare you over an issue that your Instructor didn't cover and your LDS can't help you with as the risks of driving to the airport are probably still much greater than this one, but we really just do not know for lack of widespread testing. Nonetheless, it's a risk we can eliminate. This is written more for the divers who own all of their own gear, maybe even their own Nitrox analyzers, those who want to make diving safer on their trips and for the sport as well. The solutions are not that expensive or difficult...

Okay so what are the choices? I couldn't find this info when I got ready to buy, but I am happy to share what I can here...

(1) When I first looked to get one, the Pocket CO - Miniature Carbon Monoxide Detector and Dosimeter was all I could find in low range portables so I went with it. It works okay, as long as you keep it in a pelican box as it is sensitive to environmental factors (not as good as the ad sounds like) but it's a viable choice. It took me some time to learn how to really use it in the field, testing inside a gallon ziplock with the Slider handle for easiest closing, waiting 3 mintues, but it works.

I replaced the battery and calibrated it right before my last trip and tested each tank, none reading over 5 ppm. They had good compressors but no monitor and the intake was high above the boat dock so not too surprising - but I shudder to think about the dives I've done not knowing over the years. You can get the basic unit for as little as $139 (all prices quoted herein are plus shipping) like I did, learn to use the Slider bag and get the calibation gas later, or start with the Order the Pocket CO SCUBA - Carbon Monoxide Detector for $199. Calibrating with 100 ppm gas is not ideal, but you'll probably know more than anyone else on the boat including the operator.

(2) Analox promised to introduce one a few months ago and have initially announced theirs. They still don't seem to have all of the needed info ready, but they have CO Portable: Analox - Looking after the air you breathe. ready to ship for $339 and it is probably more accurate than mine. It actually seems to be a rebranded C-Squared Inc - Gas Analyzers unit at a lower price. It seems that it can be calibrated with 20 ppm cal-gas when needed, but may not need it for the first year. Read more of what the Rep has to say here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/analox-analysers/325213-portable-co-monitor.html

(3) The most popular unit may be the ToxiRAE 3 available at SAFETY-WEST, INC. - requesting the 0-500 range model for $142 as I was told today on the phone, with sensor and battery warranted for 2 years. While this salesman and Analox both seem to claim that neither needs to be tested or calibrated frequently, you can with these additional items...
this regulator GASCO - 72-MFV/17 Mini Valve and Flow Meter for $96

a small tank of GASCO Non-Reactive Single & Two Gas Mixtures - Carbon Monoxide 10 or 20 ppm CO/balance air calibration gas for $46 (must call for the 10 ppm gas not listed),

and a $30 BC Connector for Gas Analysis [GA-BC-Flow] - $30.45 : Tech Diving Limited, a subsidiary of Scuba Training and Technology Inc. flow restrictor.​

(4) Another choice is the BWT Gas Alert Extreme for $189 here Gas Alert Clip Extreme | Gas Alert Extreme Monitor | BW Technologies GasAlertClip Extreme 2 Year Portable Gas Monitor seemingly with a two year warrantee. It's difficult to get details from the retailers but here is the manual http://www.canarysense.com/crm_uploads/gaclipxt_manual(d2139-7-en).pdf

(5) Someone suggested a cheaper model @ $99 Professional Equipment Carbon Monoxide (CO) Gas Detector but I don't know if it can be calibrated in the field, and there may be others, but I don't have any educated recommendations on this or others.

Government accepted limits for scuba air...
Canada's diving CO spec for air is 5 ppm

USA with its CGA Grade E is 10 ppm

Australia is 10 ppm

Britain has the tightest CO spec at 3 ppm.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/PUBNS/dvis9.pdf

Rest of Europe is 15 ppm

Most of the diving world - not regulated.​

Hope that helps...?

Very interesting. I wonder why the British are so stringent or if 15 is really, acceptable.
How about a canary cage hanging on a timed blast per fill, relief valve?

Very interesting. I wonder why the British are so stringent or if 15 is really, acceptable.
How about a canary cage hanging on a timed blast per fill, relief valve?
Gawd, it took a helluva lot of research to come up with what I've presented, and you want to know why? Maybe Canada and the UK have the strictest standards to prevent losses on their socialized medicine. :idk:

Take your canary to 5 atmospheres at 30 ppm CO and see if he sings with the equivalent of 150 ppm? He may not survive the ascent tho when the partial pressure changes make it more acute.

Thanks Don. I am glad to see that Analox has come out with a device for divers--that is my first choice based on my good experience with their Nitrox analyzer. Too bad they don't ship to HK, but I'll get one next time I'm Stateside.

It's awfully late in Lubbock--you should get some sleep.

Thanks Don for taking the time to share this data. You amaze me with your due diligence. I like the analox also, for familiarity of brand I suppose. Not very scientific eh, but I like GM trucks cause they've always been good for me. haahahaha

Thanks Don. I am glad to see that Analox has come out with a device for divers--that is my first choice based on my good experience with their Nitrox analyzer. Too bad they don't ship to HK, but I'll get one next time I'm Stateside.

It's awfully late in Lubbock--you should get some sleep.
Yeah I sleep odd times. I really do not see how the Analox unit is worth more than twice as much money, and I am still not clear on self-calibrating theirs, but they are a good company to be sure.

If you'd like to order one shipped to your name at my address, I can send it over and you can reimburse me for shipping - but can you get full service over there?
Thanks Don for taking the time to share this data. You amaze me with your due diligence. I like the analox also, for familiarity of brand I suppose. Not very scientific eh, but I like GM trucks cause they've always been good for me. haahahaha
I was always a GMC man until I got Dad's F-150. Dang, 350,000 miles and I still like it.

Let me know if you'd like me to help you get the Analox unit.

These updates from Analox...
Clarifications from Analox Sensor Technology:
1) The CO Portable is $339.00 and comes calibrated and ready to read directly from a DIN or Yoke tank valve. Purpose designed for diving, no bag to inflate, no connectors, nothing extra is needed.
2) The manual that's being quoted above is obsolete and is being rewritten to accommodate two important product enhancements: 1) We will warranty the unit's calibration for 12 months and 2) 20PPM CO Cal gas is sufficient if you choose to calibrate the unit yourself.
3) Sensor Life is being misquoted: The sensor carries an 18 month warranty. Most folks will probably get 24 months.
4) The only warranty voided by calibrating the unit yourself is, in fact, the 12 month Calibration Warranty. Makes sense?
5) Uber had posted some concerns about WEEE regulations? It's an electronic device..and as with ALL electronic devices, should be disposed of with appropriate E-Waste facilities.

The ToxiRAE 3 is indeed a good looking piece of kit. It is, however a disposable analyzer. You must purchase a new one every two years. It does not come with a 12 month calibration warranty and it is not purpose built for scuba diving. One would have to place it in an inflated bag or rig a connector and use the analyzer in a way it was not designed.

At the end of the day, the Analox CO Portable is a good analyzer, purpose built for diving, that will save lives. I appreciate all of the input from you guys and the mere fact that this discussion will get folks to buy CO monitors...any CO monitor, is a very good thing.

Folks are already placing orders at Homepage: Analox - Looking after the air you breathe. and I am receiving my first stocking shipment tomorrow morning.

Happy and Safe Diving

Now I am not sure she is correct on the ToxiRAE 3, need some owners to post here, but I'm sure she is right about her model.

Thanks for posting this Don.

Best wishes.

If you'd like to order one shipped to your name at my address, I can send it over and you can reimburse me for shipping - but can you get full service over there?

I was always a GMC man until I got Dad's F-150. Dang, 350,000 miles and I still like it.

Let me know if you'd like me to help you get the Analox unit.
Thanks Don, I really appreciate the offer. I have to stop into the States pretty soon anyway, so I will take the opportunity to get it then, along with size-12 shoes and all the other stuff I can't seem to get here.

Gawd, it took a helluva lot of research to come up with what I've presented, and you want to know why? Maybe Canada and the UK have the strictest standards to prevent losses on their socialized medicine. :idk:

Take your canary to 5 atmospheres at 30 ppm CO and see if he sings with the equivalent of 150 ppm? He may not survive the ascent tho when the partial pressure changes make it more acute.

Took a while to read also
Im pretty sure those looking for a viable solution to possible air purity problems having already maximised service and or filter replacement intervals would be unable to afford or unwilling to spend on dive gear for their canary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom