Shopping for Carbon Monoxide (CO) tank testers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks DandyDon,

I have been looking at CO detector offerings for several months, and your post spurred me to purchase the $339.00 Analox portable CO. I wish that for that price, it could also analyze Nitrox!

Ordering the Analox is a bit frustrating....the order is placed in England, and you pay 'royal postage' whatever that is. (I'm not writing the Queen!) The final order payment page gave me a 'failed' notice, which was frustrating after I had entered all of my data, and created a password.

I plan to call the USA contact phone today and place my order.

Color me surprised. I hadn't realized this myself, but I just reviewed the pdf from the instruction manual, and it does state...

It is purpose built to test gas, regardless of the method of delivery to the device (scuba tank, etc). If you want to test air from your tank, then you will in fact need to place the unit in a bag, or purchase a BC connector and some plastic tubing. Personally, I prefer the latter for convenience. Perhaps I'm being pedantic here, but I don't feel that's using the device in a way for which it was not designed. As I said, it was designed to test gas, and, in my experience, does it very well. This 2 year operating time thing leaves a lot to be desired, however. Perhaps not as big of a deal if you go diving with a group and can get everyone to chip in $xx.xx for the purchase of one every now and again.

I have absolutely zero experience with diving, but I came across this thread and thought I could chip in my viewpoint as an analytical chemist.

For some gasses like CO, all of the professional-grade electronic sensor devices I've seen have replaceable sensors with a finite lifespan. They might last beyond the stated 2 years depending on design and usage, and the calibration check could be enough to verify proper operation, but I would be very careful about that.

I don't know of any better option for fast and reliable checks for CO than the detectors that have been posted here. The chemical based kits tend to be less sensitive, and the analytical type equipment (which is more what I do) could be run by a shop supplying gas, but it's not practical for portable use. That will change within the next 5 years: full-featured analytical tools are now nearly to the handheld-device size range and have the capability of showing all kinds of contaminants as opposed to just one. Here's a picture of the general type of device:
equipcoservices.com/images/voyager1.png
Unfortunately, it will probably be 10 years or more before you see portable devices like this that cost less than $1000.

Really, all 4 models listed in post 1 are good choices, much better than just hoping your gas is safe, and that you won't get a case of "travelers flu" from non-lethal contamination levels. Now that some of us are testing our tanks we are indeed seeing 5 ppm at times, too high for UK standards and some others - and wherever you see 5 getting thru, 50 is only a worse extent of the same problems, as well as perhaps deadly at depth.

I was a little disappointed in my Pocket CO at times, but it works well enough in the field as long as you have spare gallon slider bags for when you ruin one, allow 3 to 5 minutes in advance of dive time for testing, and keep it in a water & air proof box or bag until needed. I just spoke with the manufactures last week again and they make their own sensor, which is unusual, with a life expectancy of 2 - 5 years. I suspect mine may last several years, but then even then it's cheap to replace...
from Service options for the Pocket CO
KWJ TechCheck Service:

KWJ's TechCheck service is an easy way to perform the recommended yearly calibration. For $79, this service includes a full inspection of your instrument, calibration and testing, new battery, firmware update, and new CO sensor element if needed.
So if you're cheap like me (well hell, I own my own O2 tester and travel with 3 serviced regs so maybe I'm not so cheap), at least consider the $139 unit at About Pocket CO - Miniature CO Detector and Dosimeter or $199 complete Scuba unit at Order the Pocket CO SCUBA - Carbon Monoxide Detector

Or go for the pricier Analox model with their fine customer support and annual servicing, or the ToxiRAE 3 available at SAFETY-WEST, INC. - requesting the 0-500 range model for $142 but I think it is dispensable, not to be calibrated or sensor replaced, or the BWT Gas Alert Extreme for $189 if you can find more customer info on that.

After mulling this subject over for several months, I ordered an Analox Portable CO tester. It was shipped today and hope to have it soon.

Air quality testing by divers seems to be a big gaping hole in our otherwise safety-conscious sport, and I didn't realize how much until DandyDon kept bringing it up :)

Thank you for the info Don

One thing, about the $199 Pocket CO SCUBA with test gas, you said "Calibrating with 100 ppm gas is not ideal ..."
it looks as if it's not 100% CO ...

Calibration/Test Kit:
This safe and easy to use kit allows you to calibrate or test Pocket CO yourself in just minutes. Calibration is recommended annually, or whenever the accuracy of the reading is critical. The kit includes a small canister of CO that has been heavily diluted with air, making it harmless. A special calibration bag is also included. Performs 3 calibrations/tests. Must use before 1 year expiration

Also ... I could not discern if the sensors in any of the units user replaceable? or do you send them back to the manufacturer?

Thank you for the info Don

One thing, about the $199 Pocket CO SCUBA with test gas, you said "Calibrating with 100 ppm gas is not ideal ..."
it looks as if it's not 100% CO ...

Calibration/Test Kit:
This safe and easy to use kit allows you to calibrate or test Pocket CO yourself in just minutes. Calibration is recommended annually, or whenever the accuracy of the reading is critical. The kit includes a small canister of CO that has been heavily diluted with air, making it harmless. A special calibration bag is also included. Performs 3 calibrations/tests. Must use before 1 year expiration
I think it is really 100 ppm, but their "harmless" comments mean that it won't hurt you if your bag leaks as compared to 1,000 ppm supplies that some animal "shelters" buy to euthanize excess dogs & cats. Their statement could be better worded.
Also ... I could not discern if the sensors in any of the units user replaceable? or do you send them back to the manufacturer?
The Pocket CO sensor is good for up to 5 yeas they claim but can be replaced by the company under their "$79, this service includes a full inspection of your instrument, calibration and testing, new battery, firmware update, and new CO sensor element if needed" policy.

The Analox unit needs to be returned for annual calibration I think and the sensor can be replaced by them. I don't have the prices at the moment.

The ToxiRAE 3 is user calibrated with the package I suggested, but disposable after 2 years - not sensor replaceable as I recall.

I don't know much about the BWT Gas Alert Extreme.

Honestly, I hope we see new makes, models, and cheaper prices within 2 years. If the demand continues to pick up, and it needs to, I think we may.

Great article on an important issue. Great research. These are post that really make this site what it is.

Analox is apparently coming out with something new .... I just tried to order one of the other units..

Many thanks for your enquiry. The portable CO analyser you are looking to purchase is actually no longer available, we have raised this with our IT department and will update our website accordingly. We apologise for this out of date information.

We are however, launching a new Portable CO Analyser at DEMA, Las Vegas on November 17th. If you would like to register your interest regarding this product we would be delighted if you could click on the following link and we will contact you once the product becomes available: New product development: Analox - Looking after the air you breathe.

Again, we apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your interest in Analox.

Emma Wing
Sales Administrator
Analox Sensor Technology Ltd
15 Ellerbeck Court
Stokesley Business Park
North Yorkshire, UK
TS9 5PT

Tel: +44 1642 711400
Fax: +44 1642 713900

Back
Top Bottom