Shopping for Carbon Monoxide (CO) tank testers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to recall a tester with disposable cartridges that you could hook directly up to a BC inflator hose that would test for CO. Does anybody else remember them being advertised? I want to say the price was around 100 bucks, plus the price for replacement cartridges.

Took a while to read also
Im pretty sure those looking for a viable solution to possible air purity problems having already maximised service and or filter replacement intervals would be unable to afford or unwilling to spend on dive gear for their canary
OK fine, putting you down for not impressed. Thanks.
I seem to recall a tester with disposable cartridges that you could hook directly up to a BC inflator hose that would test for CO. Does anybody else remember them being advertised? I want to say the price was around 100 bucks, plus the price for replacement cartridges.
Yeah that was the CO-Cop model and I actually linked to one of his articles in "Carbon Monoxide tester for scuba and firefighting" in post one. I wasn't excited about the way you read shades on the cartridges but considered it a couple of years ago when I was looking for cheaper alternatives, even talked to the inventor/manufacture on the phone. He said the first run took years to unload (he could have chosen a better name maybe), but he was out, and to make a new batch would cost him around $150 each. Scuba Toys seems to have aided in the clearance sale.

Diving is a very serious business.

I read your entire everything.

Was a mine gas detection device last century and the one before, the canary?

Is the link to the Honeywell detection device, canarysense?

Do you want a hug?

Of course the canary will not sing because the do gooders will have us breed deaf, vibration proof canaries.

goosfraba.

I recently refused to dive the tanks on an island dive boat due to the smell of the air in the tanks. Later, when back in South Florida, one of the owners of a local well-known fill shop gave me a fantastic overview of how exhaust, oil, and water in tanks can produce various combinations of questionable air. It was a great discussion, but I was somewhat surprised when he said that its what you can't smell that will kill you -- referring to CO, of course.

Don, I think you bring up a major hole in the otherwise safety-oriented world of diving. Safety in diving is about recognizing a problem, remaining calm and taking appropriate measures to deal with the problem. But, you can't recognize the problem of CO because it is odorless and tasteless. And, as you said, the symptoms of mild CO poisoning might get written off as just a headache or the flu.

I would love to see a simple, affordable, reliable tester brought to market -- particularly for remote dives where the fill station is more of an unknown.

-Mike

These updates from Analox...

Now I am not sure she is correct on the ToxiRAE 3, need some owners to post here, but I'm sure she is right about her model.

In regards to what Patti stated:

The ToxiRAE 3 is indeed a good looking piece of kit. It is, however a disposable analyzer. You must purchase a new one every two years.

Color me surprised. I hadn't realized this myself, but I just reviewed the pdf from the instruction manual (ToxiRAE3_Manual_RevD_20081105.pdf as found in the "Instruction Manual" directory from the CD that came with the unit), and it does state:

Tsq8n.png

Gw5mx.png

Not sure how I missed that the first time.

It does not come with a 12 month calibration warranty

As far as I can tell this is also correct. It does ship with a Calibration and Test Certificate:

ODAPi.png

and it is not purpose built for scuba diving. One would have to place it in an inflated bag or rig a connector and use the analyzer in a way it was not designed.

It is purpose built to test gas, regardless of the method of delivery to the device (scuba tank, etc). If you want to test air from your tank, then you will in fact need to place the unit in a bag, or purchase a BC connector and some plastic tubing. Personally, I prefer the latter for convenience. Perhaps I'm being pedantic here, but I don't feel that's using the device in a way for which it was not designed. As I said, it was designed to test gas, and, in my experience, does it very well. This 2 year operating time thing leaves a lot to be desired, however. Perhaps not as big of a deal if you go diving with a group and can get everyone to chip in $xx.xx for the purchase of one every now and again.

I have noted that there are several sensors available, and that a simple electronic solution similar to the O2 Sensor diy system in the oxyhackers guide could be drawn up. My initial overview of the sensor operation would seem to indicate a resistor or two, a capacitor, and a single op amp should feed into the same digital panel meter as used in the o2 sensor from oxyhacker. This could in effect allow you to have one device for testing both the O2 and CO.

I am currently sourcing a sensor that appears to be idea for this application.

Any interest?
Any other EE's out there willing to check or help design a simple circuit?

Guy
:)

Any interest?
Any other EE's out there willing to check or help design a simple circuit?

I'm still a undergrad student, but I'm game. The Oxycheq DIY O2 sensor seems simple, it should be no sweat to breadboard or dead bug one of these things up to play with.

I checked the analox device manual, but not quite clear on its usage. Out of the box, can the device be plugged into the tank directly without the purchase of extra hoses/connectors, etc...?

Similarly, on the calibration part, the kit comes with everything that is needed to calibrate for scuba purposes?

Maybe Patti can help with the answers?

Thanks...

I checked the analox device manual, but not quite clear on its usage. Out of the box, can the device be plugged into the tank directly without the purchase of extra hoses/connectors, etc...?

Similarly, on the calibration part, the kit comes with everything that is needed to calibrate for scuba purposes?

Maybe Patti can help with the answers?

Thanks...
You need to ask her, on her forum.

From http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ned/324039-carbon-monoxide-tanks-cozumel.html
I bought the new Analox CO detector. Used it on a trip last week. It could not be easier to use. Just turn it on and hold it up to the tank for a few seconds and you get a reading. I was able to test 6 tanks in about a minute. The directions were not as clear as could be. I placed a phone call to Analox and Patti got on the phone with me immediately and cleared up the confusion (or maybe I am not that bright). It comes calibrated and if used at the same altitude (sea level) Analox claims it does not need to be recalibrated for a year. It is easier to use than a nitrox tester.

If you are going to regularly calibrate it you will need to purchase a bottle of CO from a local supply company and a regulator. I have ordered both. Cost is about another $175.00.

I dive with my teenage daughter. I am already spending thousands of dollars to travel outside of the US. Why not a few hundred more for peace of mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom