sherwood SR2 - cannot find much info/reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
still looking at all my options for new regs thru my lds. this is not as easy as it sounds. lol (i currently use an apeks xtx200 but it is not a lds product)

sherwood is a late comer in my search. but cannot seem to find much info (good or bad) on there "top" reg, the SR2. am i going out on a limb by saying they are not loved here on the boards? or am i over exaggerating?

any input welcome

ps.....have looked at all my local options (trying to keep my business at my home shop)

scuba pro - mk17 w/g260 or A700 - sealed - both great for extreme cold water - g260 seems a bit bulky and heavy (lds had one in stock to look at) but very well built - haven't held the A700 in my hands but looks bullet proof and may be a bit more compact than the g260 - no free parts for life unless i buy other sp equipment along with it

hollis - dc1 w/212 - seems to have high praise from testing sites - sealed - light/compact 2nd stage but have not held one in my hands - seems like it may be a bit flimsy compared to the A700 or g260 - 1st stage good for extreme cold but 2nd stage looks like mostly plastic so may not be as good in the cold compared to the A700 or g260 - cannot find many good user reviews - lots for sale (could be a bad sign) - no free parts for life (in canada) - not sure yet if lds is authorized to do service on these

sherwood SR2 - sealed piston - new design seems to receive good reviews on test sites (apparently sr1 was an epic fail) - not sure if it comes with free parts for life in canada - cannot find any user comments - 2nd stage looks like it is light and compact but looks like mostly plastic so may not be as good in extreme cold waters as sp - have not held in my hands

genesis gs2000 - lds provides free parts - decent reg - i have used it many times in pool and shallow ow dives - breaths a bit wet at times - alway seem to have to adjust the 2nd stage as breathing seems inconsistent from dive to dive - claims to be sealed but have had a tech tell me they are not "really" 100% sealed like a true diaphragm sealed 1st stage (what do i know, i only know what i am told. lol) - lds loves them - i'm ok with it but not as convinced as lds - cost here in canada as compared to u.s. is way too high

Are you replacing your Apeks XTX200 because you cannot get it serviced locally?

i think i am a "gimme a reg that gives me air and won't freeze" kinda guy. lol

---------- Post added February 8th, 2014 at 06:15 PM ----------

If you are looking at Sherwood for your local cold conditions I'd get a Blizzard. Even an old one.

was told the old style was a great reg. the new ones.....not so much.

---------- Post added February 8th, 2014 at 06:18 PM ----------

i know a lot of people love the mk25. but i think i would feel more comfortable with a sealed 1st stage. although i must admit, i saw the black version of a mk25 w/ an A700....that was one cooool lookin set up.

---------- Post added February 8th, 2014 at 06:21 PM ----------

Are you replacing your Apeks XTX200 because you cannot get it serviced locally?

no. i have been using apeks for about 6 years now and i send them out of town for repair. a bit of a pain but doable. i mainly am switching because the shop i am "working" with wants us to use gear they sell. they do not deal with aqualung or apeks products at all. so my options are a bit limited. i love the apeks. :(

You see the factory "free parts for life" as a plus.......If I was getting a new reg on the behest of a shop I'd expect them to, at a minimum, maintain them for gratis.

You see the factory "free parts for life" as a plus.......If I was getting a new reg on the behest of a shop I'd expect them to, at a minimum, maintain them for gratis.

actually it is funny you mention that. i just found out yesterday after being involved at the lds for a year, that they do in fact service staff regs at no charge. however, i don't think the shop should eat the cost of the parts every couple of years. i would hope they would sell the parts to us at cost though.
the free parts program is obviously a plus, but i won't let it be the determining factor in what i choose

---------- Post added February 8th, 2014 at 07:28 PM ----------

so thx to all for the interest.

no thoughts on the SR2 ??

I hate the SR2 but that's only my opinion and it's based on a sample size of 1, so not particularly reliable.
I've posted why in old threads, I don't want to re-hash. Search if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom