sherwood SR2 - cannot find much info/reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate the SR2 but that's only my opinion and it's based on a sample size of 1, so not particularly reliable.
I've posted why in old threads, I don't want to re-hash. Search if you want.

love to hear the short version. or, if you have a link to that thread i could read it for myself

love to hear the short version. or, if you have a link to that thread i could read it for myself

The short version is don't buy one. Use the regulator you already have and like, and if the store you are associated with wants to use you as advertising to students, let them provide you with the equipment necessary to do so. They can easily loan you a regulator for classes and/or guided trips.

The short version is don't buy one. Use the regulator you already have and like, and if the store you are associated with wants to use you as advertising to students, let them provide you with the equipment necessary to do so. They can easily loan you a regulator for classes and/or guided trips.

that is short and to the point. nuff said. lol i had thought the SR1 was a disaster for sherwood but a few people locally told me the new SR2 was well done. certainly no supporters around here though. thx

btw.....i bought the GS2000 from the shop for classes. it's fine. i just want to use something else for more serious dives. also hoping whatever i get can be used for side mount as i am seriously thinking of giving it a go here for my personal diving.

that is short and to the point. nuff said. lol i had thought the SR1 was a disaster for sherwood but a few people locally told me the new SR2 was well done.

Now that you mention it, I owe you and sherwood an apology, I was thinking of the SR1. I have no idea about the SR2; if it's simply an updated version of the SR1, my comments stand but if it's a completely different design I can't help you. Still, if you're 'working' for the shop, which to me is code for volunteering or paying for a DM class, then they should supply you with gear if they want to specify that you use their stuff as advertising for the students. Don't forget, you're a customer of the shop as well, not an employee.

One other thing, unfortunately you're not going to be crazy about this one either. The Genesis regulator you mentioned, if it's the one I'm remembering, is another of my least favorite regs of all time, although once again this is based on a sample size of one. They took a time-honored simple flow-by piston/unbalanced downstream 2nd stage and mucked it up with a crazy schrader valve gizmo in the first stage and put a way-too-finicky adjustment mechanism on the otherwise simple 2nd stage. This could be one of all time worst regulators to work on. On the bright side, maybe I'm wrong about the model number on this one too!

I used to DM at a shop who didn't sell Apeks, but that's what I dive so that's what I dove. The shop was cool about it but did ask that I obviously not wax lyrical about the virtues of Apeks. If a shop wanted me to use gear that they sold, which I would have no problem doing, they would have to give it/loan it to me. I would certainly not be dropping cash on it.

i do appreciate the above two comments. i too have some reservations about the policies of the lds i am "working for" (and yes halocline......you hit the defenition right on the head) lol but they are the only game in town. they are an SSI shop btw so that might explain it better. i did buy the gs2000 to use with students ect but i use my xtx200 for the more challenging dives. i don't want to give the wrong impression here. i know it is a source of displeasure for the shop owner that i use a bunch of stuff i didn't buy there, but he is not putting a gun to my head and insisting i replace it all either. i just thought if i could replace some things as i go along with products they sell and i feel comfortable with, then why not.

but back to the topic at hand......still looking for input on the SR2.....not the SR1. lol

ps.....kinda surprised there is not more info about the hollis stuff. other than the 2nd stage maybe not being as robust as some others, it seems to be a solid reg. no ??
edit: i think the second stage has no metal air tube so not so great for extreme cold. too bad

Last edited:
Aeris, Oceanic, and Hollis are all owned by the same company. Aeris is the 'value' brand (I think), Oceanic is the 'normal' brand and Hollis is the 'technical' brand. Most of the Hollis regulators are similar to their Oceanic counterparts. If you catch a sale on them they cannot be beat for the price.

I read the regulator forum regularly and I only remember one post on the SR-2. I remember the person liked the regulator but I don't remember if he dove it or if it was first impressions. Also don't put too much stock in reviews. As you mentioned, Sherwood screwed the pooch with the SR-1 but from what I remember it received rave reviews.

It is your money and you can spend it anyway you please but you have a top-of-the-line Apeks regulator, you do not need to upgrade as you will not find anything much better. I hope the shop owner is getting you a keyman discount or at least selling it too you at cost because he should not be making money selling items to employees.

I hope the shop owner is getting you a keyman discount or at least selling it too you at cost because he should not be making money selling items to employees.

we def are getting gear at cost. we get a discount off list $. usually brings the cost down to what it would cost me in the u.s. but some stuff still is double the cost of what i can find it for on sale in the u.s.

i have looked a lot to find sr2 comments on the net. i think i'm gonna cross it off the list. scuba pro is def the front runner right now. but even with our discount they are not cheap. a mk17 w/g260 retails for almost $800 up here. i am not sure on the price of the mk17 w/A700, but i assume it will be even higher

i was going ask if they can get Hog as another option. but i don't think they can

we def are getting gear at cost. we get a discount off list $. usually brings the cost down to what it would cost me in the u.s. but some stuff still is double the cost of what i can find it for on sale in the u.s.

i have looked a lot to find sr2 comments on the net. i think i'm gonna cross it off the list. scuba pro is def the front runner right now. but even with our discount they are not cheap. a mk17 w/g260 retails for almost $800 up here. i am not sure on the price of the mk17 w/A700, but i assume it will be even higher

i was going ask if they can get Hog as another option. but i don't think they can

If you LDS is a Scubapro dealer they should also be a Subgear dealer. If they can get a 2013 SG 1000 that is the same as a MK-17 / S600 which should be ok for cold water diving. I have seen these sell for around $400 US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom