Shearwater vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Paradox

Yes, I also believe that Shearwater is the winner here over Aqua Lung. There are many AI computers on the market. You don't say what kind of diving you will be doing.

Comparing the two you are looking at, the Perdix 2 and the i770r
Deco algorithm Shearwater runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors, Aqua Lung runs PZ+. Buhlmann is very well characterized, infinitely adjustable between conservative and liberal, and useful for a wide range of diving. PZ+ is a proprietary version of Buhlmann, details are not available. It is moderate or middle of the road in the conservative to liberal spectrum and cannot be made more liberal. It is not as useful for a wide range of diving.
Transmitter Both of these computers use the same transmitter, MH8A/Shearwater Swift. If you bought the Aqua Lung, you could switch to Shearwater without acquiring a new transmitter. Many other computers use brand specific transmitters that are not interchangeable.
Service Already extensively described. I have had some problems with my Teric and have had absolutely fantastic service. I have never owned an Aqua Lung instrument but have sent several inquiries to Aqua Lung. I don't think I have ever even gotten a reply.
Special functions The Shearwater has many special Buhlmann related functions such as SurfGF, GF99, tissue loading graph, and many more, that divers find very useful and are not available from Aqua Lung/PZ+

Best of luck in your computer purchase

I'm curious, what's the issue with the Perdix? A buddy of mine is looking into buying one right now.
On a dive trip to the Sea of Cortez, after a battery change, the bluetooth stopped working. It would not connect with my phone, iPad or computer. I kept getting an error message saying computer could not be found. The Perdix has second method of uploading, called the Legacy, and that worked so I was able to upload my dives using it. I tried removing the battery, changed batteries, but the bluetooth problem persisted. When I got back I e-mailed SW Customer Support and their response was, "well, as long as the Legacy works just continue to use that." Not exactly the response I was looking for. A week later I was able to fix the issue, and it was a simple fix. On the Connect screen on my phone/ipad/computer I just hit the arrow to add a new computer. The Perdix was already there and when I added it the bluetooth started working again. I guess when I changed batteries it disconnected and just needed to be reset. No data lost either. I was just disappointed with SW response and, truthfully, with myself for not figuring it out sooner. All that said, I still recommend SW and the Perdix to anyone who is looking for an AI dive computer, if it fits their needs.

Because their service really isn't as good as some reviews claim and the repair service is really pricey as well.
Evidence for this statement?

On a dive trip to the Sea of Cortez, after a battery change, the bluetooth stopped working. It would not connect with my phone, iPad or computer. I kept getting an error message saying computer could not be found. The Perdix has second method of uploading, called the Legacy, and that worked so I was able to upload my dives using it. I tried removing the battery, changed batteries, but the bluetooth problem persisted. When I got back I e-mailed SW Customer Support and their response was, "well, as long as the Legacy works just continue to use that." Not exactly the response I was looking for. A week later I was able to fix the issue, and it was a simple fix. On the Connect screen on my phone/ipad/computer I just hit the arrow to add a new computer. The Perdix was already there and when I added it the bluetooth started working again. I guess when I changed batteries it disconnected and just needed to be reset. No data lost either. I was just disappointed with SW response and, truthfully, with myself for not figuring it out sooner. All that said, I still recommend SW and the Perdix to anyone who is looking for an AI dive computer, if it fits their needs.
FYI, my Bluetooth headphones do the same thing. Paired, but won't connect until you 'add' it again.
And has zero importance to the computer actually being a functional and useful dive computer.
I also look at it as a win being Shearwater actually has a Legacy connection that works. Anything else you wouldn't have any connection.

FYI, my Bluetooth headphones do the same thing. Paired, but won't connect until you 'add' it again.
And has zero importance to the computer actually being a functional and useful dive computer.
I also look at it as a win being Shearwater actually has a Legacy connection that works. Anything else you wouldn't have any connection.
Agreed, and if you read my earlier post you can see where I gave accolades to the Perdix as being a great dive computer. I commented I only had one issue with it and another poster asked what that issue was, hence my later post.

Agreed, and if you read my earlier post you can see where I gave accolades to the Perdix as being a great dive computer. I commented I only had one issue with it and another poster asked what that issue was, hence my later post.
Thanks for the reply!
Yeah it's not really a shortcoming of the computer, just a quirk of BT devices, be that headphones, speaker, or dive computers. Glad to see it has a backup function.

The 340 Dollar invoice for one lightly used button and no EU service is the evidence... as I already tried to explain at least twice now.
OK, you had a bad experience. Sorry for that.
I don't think that trumps the endless reports of great experiences.

I don't that that trumps the endless reports of great experiences.
There surly is an endless number of reports of SW computers needing service... at least in the States there is service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom