Shearwater vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this same dilemma when I was purchasing my last computer, as soon as I read that the Aqualung would pretty much just give up on you if you violate any single parameter, I immediately turned away, you want a computer that can adapt and change its outputs to help the diver when they're in trouble... Not just say nope and leave you to deal with it on your own....

I personally ended up getting a good deal on a Ratio IX3M Tech+ which I absolutely love, and even though it is very sensitive to depth on deco stops, it will still do its best to stay with me and help me if something goes wrong

As much as it pains me to say it because I used to love Aqualung stuff.... I'd stay well away from them now...

Lol, quit trying to argue.
I just said what my experience was. I really like or rather liked the shearwater stuff but having these issues with the device (missing dives due to that) and getting it fixed has been very disappointing.
I know, it goes against the SB truism that everything SW amazing and that they can do no wrong.
I’d love to know what the real story is about the button.
What part of the story would I lie about? I don't wanna post stuff like invoices publically but I can sent a screenshot per email if you don't believe me.

I just said what my experience was. I really like or rather liked the shearwater stuff but having these issues with the device (missing dives due to that) and getting it fixed has been very disappointing.
I know, it goes against the SB truism that everything SW amazing and that they can do no wrong.

What part of the story would I lie about? I don't wanna post stuff like invoices publically but I can sent a screenshot per email if you don't believe me.
Wasn’t even remotely implying that you are lying. I’m implying that SW immediately recognized you were a pita and dealt you with some instant karma.

I’ve been dealing with them for over 15 years, and had nothing but amazing experiences with them.

I’ve been dealing with them for over 15 years, and had nothing but amazing experiences with them.
As I said, their quality might have been better and that divetroix place seems do good service. The European customers they don't seem to really care about.

Wasn’t even remotely implying that you are lying.
Sure, that's why you said you're wondering 'about the real story about the button'... 🙄
I reckon they had at least one batch of faulty buttons and now let the customers pay for that. There must be a reason why the EU service center has a backlog of 4 weeks... I guess that must be my fault too.

I get it, people here get upset when you say anything about SW that not super positive.

I "only" have a Peregrine, but the ease of use, intuivity, multifunctionality and customizability is just *chef's kiss*

Yes, i'm looking at you Suunto...

Can't say anything about SW customer service since i never had any problems.

And it comes with free stickers!!!

As I said, their quality might have been better and that divetroix place seems do good service. The European customers they don't seem to really care about.

Sure, that's why you said you're wondering 'about the real story about the button'... 🙄
I reckon they had at least one batch of faulty buttons and now let the customers pay for that. There must be a reason why the EU service center has a backlog of 4 weeks... I guess that must be my fault too.

I get it, people here get upset when you say anything about SW that not super positive.

Quit whining and move to their competitor. We’ll all thank you.

We’ll all thank you.
I'm sure you as a dealer don't like to see anything posted that's not saying how amazing everything is.

I bought 3 of their computers. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for reasonable price for the repair after little use. I didn't ask for any free stuff but I think over 300 USD for one button is a rip-off.

I have both the i770 and the Perdix 2. Personally I prefer the Perdix 2 over the i770. The menu on the i770 is harder to navigate, requiring pushing buttons, pushing and holding buttons, scrolling, the Perdix is just pushing buttons and scrolling. The Perdix allows me to configure my screen. I can also add a protective cover and easily swap bands. I’ve had one issue with the i770 in the 5 years I’ve been using it and Aqualung fixed for free, even though it was outside warranty. I’ve also had an issue with my Perdix and SW response was basically just live with it. Still, I prefer the Perdix over the i770, the i770 has now become my loaner/backup.

I've had one repair done (Perdix AI) while owning 1 Petrel1, 2x Perdix AI, and 2x Peregrine (family of divers). Dive count was on a single hand with an unknown reason for death of the unit. After some interaction between the authorized US service center and SW, I believe I ended up paying for my shipping to them, labor, and SW picked up the tab on parts and return shipping. I felt it wasn't a bad result.

The irony was that it failed while I was diving in Canada. Had I sent it then to SW, they were at that time covering all costs. I instead waited to resolve the issue when I got back home in the US and had to use the US service center.

Paying labor for the Third-party wasn't a bad resolution.

Pleased with all parties...

I have both the i770 and the Perdix 2. Personally I prefer the Perdix 2 over the i770. The menu on the i770 is harder to navigate, requiring pushing buttons, pushing and holding buttons, scrolling, the Perdix is just pushing buttons and scrolling. The Perdix allows me to configure my screen. I can also add a protective cover and easily swap bands. I’ve had one issue with the i770 in the 5 years I’ve been using it and Aqualung fixed for free, even though it was outside warranty. I’ve also had an issue with my Perdix and SW response was basically just live with it. Still, I prefer the Perdix over the i770, the i770 has now become my loaner/backup.
I'm curious, what's the issue with the Perdix? A buddy of mine is looking into buying one right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom