Shearwater vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The buttons have mechanical contacts inside of them. They are sealed from the outside. When you flood the computer you get water inside where it shouldn't be. Flooding it with fresh water doesn't normally damage them, they dry and work normally.
Ok, thanks. But how do they just break than this early? My Petrel didn't flood, it works when I put the battery back in, it's the button that's not working.

I talked to French and the UK service center as well as to the German distributor and directly to SW because it was unclear where to sent it to. The French center doesn't do all repairs and if you wanna ship it outside the EU you have fill out a lot of customs paperwork when you ship goods over 1000 Euros (or hope customs doesn't open the box on the way back).
They were all very nice and replied to email quickly, but the whole process is a major PITA and IMHO way too expensive.
It would be MUCH easier, if they just had EU service.
Agree, a solid support and repair network in Europe should be a priority. Would probably increase sales too, if customers knew they don't have to send it all the way to Canada.
Ironically, i ordered my Peregrine from Finland (varuste.net, can recommend!), maybe the Baltic repair center is more competent?

Agree, a solid support and repair network in Europe should be a priority. Would probably increase sales too, if customers knew they don't have to send it all the way to Canada.
Ironically, i ordered my Peregrine from Finland (varuste.net, can recommend!), maybe the Baltic repair center is more competent?
The only repair center in the EU is in France... the baltic place is probably only the distributor for the area. I was told they're working on (better) EU support. You can send the computer to the vendor or the distributor to avoid the customs paperwork but than they send it to Canada.

The only repair center in the EU is in France... the baltic place is probably only the distributor for the area. I was told they're working on (better) EU support. You can send the computer to the vendor or the distributor to avoid the customs paperwork but than they send it to Canada.
Oooh ok, i think we just solved the problem: relocate the repair center to Germany, or better yet, Switzerland!

Oooh ok, i think we just solved the problem: relocate the repair center to Germany, or better yet, Switzerland!
I think they're new and got swamped with work straight away. I don't think it's their fault. For some reason they only work on some models. Might be due to what Tracy said about the difference between Petrel and Perdix.

I'm sure you as a dealer don't like to see anything posted that's not saying how amazing everything is.

I bought 3 of their computers. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for reasonable price for the repair after little use. I didn't ask for any free stuff but I think over 300 USD for one button is a rip-off.
You might not know this, but I’m a multimillionaire that started a dive shop so I could build my rebreathers in air conditioning that wasn’t my kitchen table.

I couldn’t give a rats ass whether I sell a piece of gear or not. In the last two weeks, I went to Ireland, then Maine, hit Niagra Falls, right now I’m mountain climbing and rappelling in North Carolina. Tomorrow I’ll be on the beach at Jekyll Island. I might fly one of my three airplanes to New Orleans for some food.

I promise you, I was a fan of Shearwater before I became a dealer. I also promise you that if I never sold another piece of dive gear, I’d still be more happy and content than you seems to be. This conversation, as with all conversations on SB are merely a pleasant pass time while I take a crap.

Live long and prosper.

You are clearly happy with the Suunto.
Nice to have finally met someone who is happy with their Suunto.
Lol! :)

In the last two weeks, I went to Ireland, then Maine, hit Niagra Falls, right now I’m mountain climbing and rappelling in North Carolina. Tomorrow I’ll be on the beach at Jekyll Island.
For a multi millionaire diver that itinerary sounds pretty lame dude.

So from @berndo's experience it does seem that Shearwater's EU repair contractor may be relavitely new and/or inexperienced and/or unfamiliar or untrained with the full Shearwater producct line. Also, that Shearwater may be aware of the issue, and may or may not be addressing it.

Or maybe these are issues that have already been resolved - the Petrel and Perdix are both older models - @berndo how long ago did you have these service issues?

For me, living 15 km from SW headquarters, service when needed has been competent and fast. But then, for my Perdix, Nerd2 and 2 Terics and AI xmitters, only the Teric batteries have been a problem (over and over). From all reports, the US service is superb.

I would think any potential SW customer in the EU would want to know the quality of service available before buying. After all, SW is no exception to the rule that computers do and will fail or require service for other reasons (famously, the widespread Teric battery issue).

I'd be really interested to hear from other European SW computer users about their service experiences. Is berndo's the exception or the rule?

I had a button break after about 100 dives and the repair is 340 USD.
Frankly, I think it's a rip-off. IMHO, a quality product should last longer than that or at least get fixed for a reasonable price.
One thing you haven't mentioned - how old was the computer? With less than 100 dives it was already old enough to be out of warranty?

For a multi millionaire diver that itinerary sounds pretty lame dude.

Hit my income level and then tell me how you’d do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom