Shearwater Petrel 1 as backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caversluis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I use a Perdix 2 as my main dive computer, with a very old Oceanic Veo as a backup computer.

There is a Petrel 1 for sale for a very reasonable price. I know the Petrel 1 is old, but would it stil be useful as a backup computer?

Posting in “Technical diving” as I am not looking answers like: “You can buy a brand new Zoop for that price” :)

The Petrel would be a fine primary computer. It'll do just fine in a secondary/backup role as well.

I used two Petrel 1s as my primary dive computers up until a few months ago. One of my wife's computers is still a Shearwater Predator which pre-dates the Petrel platform.

The only downside to the Petrel 1 (and Petrel 2) are that they are no longer supported platforms by Shearwater since they can no longer get motherboards / depth sensor. This means they are effectively no longer serviceable beyond the battery compartment or screen replacement.

If you can get a Petrel 1 for cheap then I'd say go for it. They are great computers. As others mentioned, it's just missing the digital compass, vibration alarms and air integration features.

What's a "very reasonable price?" You can buy Divesoft Freedom for under $800 and Garmin G1 for under $500.

I would not touch Shearwater now.

I to still use my Predator That I had bought brand new literally moments before the Petrel came out. Has never missed a beat and is now my backup computer when diving OC. That being said at this point of time I will not use just any computer and stick to only Shearwater. So back to the question if you need a backup get a Shearwater and if you can get one for a good price used I would pick it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom