Shearwater now majority owned by private equity firm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pricing is difference is (largely but not entirely) because the circuitry for the compass IMU and AI wireless radio are expensive. The tech features are mostly just software which any of their computers could run. Although yeah the R&D costs something.

Now that I think about it, I could see a "peregrine tech" being released. All it would take is a software patch. I'd buy one as a backup computer.

No, no insult, it's just the fact that unless you're a multisport enthusiast (say actually a hardcore runner and you dive alot, and possibly some of the other trackers that it has) then it just won't make any sense to you. No offense but you're not the market they're aiming for.

It's perfect for me. I dive, spearfish, run marathons, have a boat that has a Garmin MFD. It saves me 3 different watches and gives me boat data there too.
So, you need the Bat-o-matic?

Side note: I know we are being watched, but reading our minds? As I typed in the YouTube search bar "Dan Akroyd" this is what autocompleted.

upload_2021-6-13_21-13-16.png

Shudder!

The pricing is difference is (largely but not entirely) because the circuitry for the compass IMU and AI wireless radio are expensive. The tech features are mostly just software which any of their computers could run. Although yeah the R&D costs something.

Now that I think about it, I could see a "peregrine tech" being released. All it would take is a software patch. I'd buy one as a backup computer.

One day, I hope to use my Peregrine as backup to a Perdix AI or Peregrine AI, until then, my Zoop Novo is my backup.

So, you need the Bat-o-matic?

Side note: I know we are being watched, but reading our minds? As I typed in the YouTube search bar "Dan Akroyd" this is what autocompleted.

View attachment 665272

Shudder!

It's BASS-O-MATIC thank you very much. Stupid Youtube...

...I could see a "peregrine tech" being released. All it would take is a software patch. I'd buy one as a backup computer.

The Peregrine is a much cut-down recreational computer for NDL and non-trimix deco, with a reduced price to compete with the myriad other (vastly inferior IMHO) brands competing in that sector. The Perdix is Shearwater's fully functioned dive computer -- with a display and software functionality to support trimix and CCR diving (fixed PPO2).

My old Perdix now sees life as a bailout computer, backing up the rebreather's Petrel and Nerd.

Don't wish to be seen as a fanboi of Shearwater, but as far as I'm concerned they are head and shoulders better than all other computers I've seen and used. It's almost like comparing the iPhone to previous phones -- those were horrible and definitely un-smart. Shearwater diving computers showed the world what reliability, ease of use, sane settings, with a small package, great screen and user-replacable common battery looked like. Prior to that there were myriad unreliable (XDeep), awful user interface (Suunto) that had special batteries and ridiculous lockout settings (Suunto's ridiculous lockouts and "conservatism"). Is it little wonder that it's Shearwater that utterly dominates technical diving and is the choice of many/most rebreather manufacturers, almost to the extent of spawning a me-too industry of Shearwater clones.

Shearwater computers have pretty much changed the way we dive. No longer do we need highly cautious tables; we can dive with two computers and simply use the TTS (time to surface) and runtime, then get on with enjoying our dives to maximise our bottom time to fit the overall runtime.

One day, I hope to use my Peregrine as backup to a Perdix AI or Peregrine AI, until then, my Zoop Novo is my backup.
To which the Zoop will make you pay Suunto tax: additional time underwater, long after the Peregrine's displaying "deco cleared".

Keep an eye open for second-hand Perdix computers. They do sometimes come up.

The Peregrine is a much cut-down recreational computer for NDL and non-trimix deco, with a reduced price to compete with the myriad other (vastly inferior IMHO) brands competing in that sector.

It's good marketing. Basically Non AI Perdix, different case, with some software functions disabled/hidden and price pointed as such

Its not like they needed to write an new OS

And I like it. I've recommended it to a few of my friend who wanted to replace their Galileo's and had no interest/ need for AI

It's good marketing. Basically Non AI Perdix, different case, with some software functions disabled/hidden and price pointed as such

Its not like they needed to write an new OS

And I like it. I've recommended it to a few of my friend who wanted to replace their Galileo's and had no interest/ need for AI
Was recently chatting to an owner of local dive shop that's very recreational (aren't they all!) who said that he's sold dozens of Peregrines and no Suuntos. OK, he may well be pushing the Pereguine, but it's an interesting 'fact' for at least one shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom