Sharp steel shavings inside barrel of new atomic first stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based upon my over 15 year relationship with Atomic I can assure you that they will want to know about your issue and will most likely ask you to send them the regulator. I have never seen that problem with any Atomic regulator. Their quality of design and construction is usually first class. Please let me know if you need assistance contacting Atomic.

Captain Larry
www.KeyLargoDiveCenter.com

Based upon my over 15 year relationship with Atomic I can assure you that they will want to know about your issue and will most likely ask you to send them the regulator. I have never seen that problem with any Atomic regulator. Their quality of design and construction is usually first class. Please let me know if you need assistance contacting Atomic.

Captain Larry
Thanks Capt. Larry. I finally heard back from Huish Customer Support earlier this week (they said they were having email issues) and they indeed did want me to send my reg in to be looked at. I sent the whole unit including octo and pressure gauge since I'm not sure where any remaining steel bits could have ended up. Unfortunately I'm missing a beautiful weekend for diving here in NY but better to be safe than sorry. They should have them by Tuesday so with any luck/expediited shipping I may have them back in time for next weekend.

Thanks Capt. Larry. I finally heard back from Huish Customer Support earlier this week (they said they were having email issues) and they indeed did want me to send my reg in to be looked at. I sent the whole unit including octo and pressure gauge since I'm not sure where any remaining steel bits could have ended up. Unfortunately I'm missing a beautiful weekend for diving here in NY but better to be safe than sorry. They should have them by Tuesday so with any luck/expediited shipping I may have them back in time for next weekend.
That's great news Steve. I'm certain that they will take good care of your reg issue. Let me know if you have any Atomic questions later on.
If your dive travel plans ever bring you to Key Largo come and dive with us.

Capt Larry

That's great news Steve. I'm certain that they will take good care of your reg issue. Let me know if you have any Atomic questions later on.
If your dive travel plans ever bring you to Key Largo come and dive with us.

Capt Larry
Will do! Hoping to get down that way for AOW sometime soon. Just something more attractive about doing it down there than up here in NY.

An update for anyone following along with my saga (at least it feels like a saga to me after investing significant time and money into these things). My regulators were marked as delivered earlier this week so I called Huish today to confirm receipt and see what sort of turn around time I could expect. Afterall, it ain't easy living in the Northeast and having a short dive season! The customer service rep told me I should expect a 3 week turnaround time!! I told the rep this was unacceptable and she offered to put a note for the techs on my account. If I wasn't getting an advance replacement or loaner, I was at least expecting some expedited service on this issue. I guess that's not going to be the case though.

More and more I am regretting buying Atomic. In fact, I'm seriously considering buying a mk25 Evo/a700 black tech set from @guruboy and just selling whatever I end up getting back from Atomic. I'll probably have it in hand ready to dive before I ever see my regs again.

A three week turnaround to resolve a problem caused by their shoddy quality control!!!! Really happy that we have companies like Shearwater and Deep6 that recognise that the customer is important.

A three week turnaround to resolve a problem caused by their shoddy quality control!!!! Really happy that we have companies like Shearwater and Deep6 that recognise that the customer is important.
Yeah, not the sort of service I expected from a "premium" brand like atomic. Hopefully this isn't an indication of things to come for Hollis and Oceanic.

How did this turn out? Atomic has been very responsive in my contact with them.
As noted by others, this is a QC issue that was just plain missed. I hope (indeed, I expect) that Atomic will have taken your regs back for a full inspection/rebuild at their expense. Did you save pics? Shavings?

I will be very surprised if this wasn't handled by Atomic at no cost to you. I wouldn't involve your shop, but would go direct to mfr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom