Info WARNING: LP leak with Omni-Swivel on Atomic M1!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll see what the mfrs say.
I actually have more faith that OmniSwivel might move the o-ring up a hair.
Changing the chamfer is also a good solution, but I wouldn't put it on the lathe as is. Shortening the chamfer also means shortening the barrel, which is part of the problem.
And I'm sure AA will say they need the thick nut for heat dissipation.

I thought of grinding the Omni-Swivel nut short, as you suggested. This has two consequences:
1) It means that this Omni-Swivel is ONLY good for use on an M1, because
2) A short OmniSwivel nut will cause the center shaft to bind against the barrel end on any other regulator with a longer barrel nipple.

I'd be satisfied with an alert and a recommendation to switch to the standard nut if you're gonna use the Omni-Swivel.

thick nut for heat dissipation.
This makes me scratch my head a bit..
We got rid of steel body regulator,, now we add a lump of metal to make a heat sink....
Has Atomic ever looked at how a heat sink works?
I saw someone actually had a finned nut or something... just lately... maybe it was Sherwood ...

Yes, they figured that out. They changed the deep engraving "M1" with the added surface area that the engraving provides, for actual fins. But it's still thick.
  • 1651177967927.jpeg

You are obviously not in sales and marketing. It is called planned incompatibility so that one purchases the AA swivel hose not a competitor's.

Nope I most definitely am not,
If there is a good design don't fool around with it... it's just engineers and or sales, trying to justify their worth even though they know nothing, don't learn from past mistakes...
You most definitely don't want to get me started down that road...

Well count me impressed!
Atomic got back to me immediately and reviewed with me their implementation of ANSI standards. I am having a cordial discussion with both a problem solving team and one of their senior engineers, and they are clearly looking at the issue seriously, even if the origin of the problem lies with a third-party addon.

Score one for the big guys!
Atomic rocks!

Well count me impressed!
Atomic got back to me immediately and reviewed with me their implementation of ANSI standards. I am having a cordial discussion with both a problem solving team and one of their senior engineers, and they are clearly looking at the issue seriously, even if the origin of the problem lies with a third-party addon.

Score one for the big guys!
Atomic rocks!

That's why I buy a brand name like Atomic, they are tops. I have dealt with Huish group, the holding company that owns the brands Atomic/Hollis/Oceanic/Zeagle/Stalsac/Bare, for the last year or so and they are TOPS in their professionalism and ethics.

@rsingler :

I have experienced this with my Atomic regulators that have custom titanium jam nuts but have the same dimensions as the M1 jam nuts. However, I only experience this with the XS Scuba low pressure hoses, which you have pictured. I don't know who else makes hoses, but DGX used to source them. They have different/larger fitting for the secondstage air barrel and the hose is actually much thicker than the XS Scuba hoses.

Air would leak between the fitting that rotates and the metal clamp at the end of the hose. Simple twist of the secon staged and the air leak would go away or it sould simply go away on its own after 1-2 seconds.

O.

@rsingler :

I have experienced this with my Atomic regulators that have custom titanium jam nuts but have the same dimensions as the M1 jam nuts. However, I only experience this with the XS Scuba low pressure hoses, which you have pictured. I don't know who else makes hoses, but DGX used to source them. They have different/larger fitting for the secondstage air barrel and the hose is actually much thicker than the XS Scuba hoses.

Air would leak between the fitting that rotates and the metal clamp at the end of the hose. Simple twist of the secon staged and the air leak would go away or it sould simply go away on its own after 1-2 seconds.

O.
Where did you come by titanium jam nuts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom